Spyder Garage

Default Maintenance on a used 2016 RT

I have recently purchased a 2016 RTL that had 1317 miles on it. The PO had the following maintenance done: oil and filter at 846 miles on 05/17 and oil and filter at 1162 miles on 08/18. 3,000 mile was of course not accomplished. I have put 800 miles on it in the past 2 months and expect to do many more as the temp here NC starts to cool down. I was gonna wait till 3,000 miles for a service but now think it prudent to get an annual service done asap, this would include brake fluid change, which hasn't been done since purchase four years ago. Anything else I should look at on a lightly used 4 year old Spyder? Oh, and do you think that two year oil and filter are still good to go?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Man that Spyder is still new. Even though its been done twice already I would do the oil and filter at some point. 3000 is usually the first scheduled maint. The next is at 9300.

I would not worry about brake fluid. But that's up to you. I have a 2014 RT and have not changed the brake fluid yet.

I would be worried about the battery since it wasn't used unless they had some sort of maintainer on the battery?

Spyder Garage

Put some miles on it before you do anything, assuming the previous change was documented and you know the quality of oil/filter. If not, you might want to do a change just for peace of mind. Personally I'd leave the brake fluid alone, particularly if the RT had been garaged and not set out.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Put some miles on it before you do anything, assuming the previous change was documented and you know the quality of oil/filter. If not, you might want to do a change just for peace of mind. Personally I'd leave the brake fluid alone, particularly if the RT had been garaged and not set out.
    Wait and put more miles on and it will be easier to get service done in Dec. than now.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I would get the oil changed now. It's recommended on just about every vehicle to change the oil once a year even if the mileage requirements haven't been met. Oil breaks down over time. If you're handy, change it yourself. As others have said, I wouldn't worry about flushing the brake fluid. I don't know what BRPs recommendation is but I rarely flush the brake fluid on any vehicle more than about once every 10 years or so. Again, you can do that yourself.

You're right about the weather getting better here. This weekend should be PERFECT riding weather. Partly cloudy, no rain in the forecast and a high of about 80* both Saturday and Sunday (at least here in the foothills). I'm w/in 150 miles of my 3k service but I'm pretty sure I'll be a couple hundred over that by the end of the weekend.

Spyder Garage

I would certainly check all the fluid levels. The PO may have had fluids done-- by whom???? Even dealers screw the pooch now and then.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow