Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Rally Evaporator Purge Solenoid ticking sound - problem?

Hello all. 2020 Rally with over 4400 miles new to me. Previous owner passed away and I got her from the widow. Had a ticking sound but I wasnt afraid to get it fixed. Now at the dealership and they are saying it's the Evaportor Purge Solenoid. The sound is same never speeds up, doesnt do it all the time at all. Has anyone heard of this issue. Dealership is telling me they wont fix what isnt broke. The bike runs fine. Get decent gas mileage. I am at a loss. Most important is the original purchase date is 9/06/2020 so I am covered by warranty for a few more days. Seriously thinking about doing the B.E.S.T 3 year warranty from imotorsports local dealership wants way to much for the same thing. Thanks You. Dan.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 352RykerVeronica View Post
    Hello all. 2020 Rally with over 4400 miles new to me. Previous owner passed away and I got her from the widow. Had a ticking sound but I wasnt afraid to get it fixed. Now at the dealership and they are saying it's the Evaportor Purge Solenoid. The sound is same never speeds up, doesnt do it all the time at all. Has anyone heard of this issue. Dealership is telling me they wont fix what isnt broke. The bike runs fine. Get decent gas mileage. I am at a loss. Most important is the original purchase date is 9/06/2020 so I am covered by warranty for a few more days. Seriously thinking about doing the B.E.S.T 3 year warranty from imotorsports local dealership wants way to much for the same thing. Thanks You. Dan.
    Purchase date can't be 9/6/20 .... that is THREE days from now ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

No answer on the solenoid ticking, but to me if its a loud enough ticking noise, then its broke to me and I'd have to argue the point with them, and I'd be pretty insistent. I have 10 months left on the original 1 year warranty, I hate dealers working on my machines for the obvious reasons. So I'm sitting on the fence on whether or not I'm going to purchase the B.E.S.T. service plan, I still have 10 months to decide. Right after I purchased the Ryker I took it back because of a small brake fluid leak from the cap.

I told them that all I needed was a new cap and diaphragm and I'd replace it myself. Being a warranty item, they insisted on taking into the service dept for a through investigation of the leak. When I got it back, they had scratched the right side panel when they removed it without folding the brake pedal down or the peg rearwards. Then they got brake fluid on the gas tank cover that ruined the plastic. I'm still waiting on the parts. First, if they knew what they were doing, they would have known that they didn't have to remove the panel to access the master cylinder. All they needed to do was slide the foot peg rearward to access the master cylinder.

In 2015 I took my new Triumph Trophy in for new tires at the Triumph dealership, the idiot scratched both the powder coated rims. In 2013 I took my Goldwing in for warranty replacement on the ECU at the local Honda dealership. They broke my front fender mount and got red Lock tite all over my leather seat. I've had nothing but bad luck with dealer service departments, so I do my best to avoid them at all cost. Good luck.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

There are good dealers around, sometimes you just keep asking folks here. I'm sure you will find one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    No answer on the solenoid ticking, but to me if its a loud enough ticking noise, then its broke to me and I'd have to argue the point with them, and I'd be pretty insistent. I have 10 months left on the original 1 year warranty, I hate dealers working on my machines for the obvious reasons. So I'm sitting on the fence on whether or not I'm going to purchase the B.E.S.T. service plan, I still have 10 months to decide. Right after I purchased the Ryker I took it back because of a small brake fluid leak from the cap.

I told them that all I needed was a new cap and diaphragm and I'd replace it myself. Being a warranty item, they insisted on taking into the service dept for a through investigation of the leak. When I got it back, they had scratched the right side panel when they removed it without folding the brake pedal down or the peg rearwards. Then they got brake fluid on the gas tank cover that ruined the plastic. I'm still waiting on the parts. First, if they knew what they were doing, they would have known that they didn't have to remove the panel to access the master cylinder. All they needed to do was slide the foot peg rearward to access the master cylinder.

In 2015 I took my new Triumph Trophy in for new tires at the Triumph dealership, the idiot scratched both the powder coated rims. In 2013 I took my Goldwing in for warranty replacement on the ECU at the local Honda dealership. They broke my front fender mount and got red Lock tite all over my leather seat. I've had nothing but bad luck with dealer service departments, so I do my best to avoid them at all cost. Good luck.
    I told my good (and fast) bicycle riding friend about being undecided about buying an extended Warranty for my Ryker. He's a successful semi retired owner of a construction co. up near Chicago. He said that over the past many years that he has owned the company and owned TONS of equipment he has never bought an extended warranty on neither any of his equipment or vehicles. He said he has added up what the warranties would have cost him over the years....$40,000. He said he paid out $7,000 for repairs. Between him telling me that and the Can Am mechanics screwing up. A lot of them are not as knowledgeable as you or I. I don't think some of them ever opened up the manual...agree? They are using our Rykers as if they are in class learning about them. Yes I'll have them do some work on my Ryker, but I'll make sure I can't do it myself. I feel comfortable not buying the extended warranty. I may be crying tomorrow....it's all a gamble.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I told my good (and fast) bicycle riding friend about being undecided about buying an extended Warranty for my Ryker. He's a successful semi retired owner of a construction co. up near Chicago. He said that over the past many years that he has owned the company and owned TONS of equipment he has never bought an extended warranty on neither any of his equipment or vehicles. He said he has added up what the warranties would have cost him over the years....$40,000. He said he paid out $7,000 for repairs. Between him telling me that and the Can Am mechanics screwing up. A lot of them are not as knowledgeable as you or I. I don't think some of them ever opened up the manual...agree? They are using our Rykers as if they are in class learning about them. Yes I'll have them do some work on my Ryker, but I'll make sure I can't do it myself. I feel comfortable not buying the extended warranty. I may be crying tomorrow....it's all a gamble.
    ..... Over the years " Consumer Reports " has written many articles about this subject ...... according to their research .... less than 10% of buyers actually benefit from them ..... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    When you buy a warranty or insurance. You are betting that you'll have a problem. The warranty/insurance company is betting that you don't. And they know a lot more about it than we do. Just saying...

I don't buy them because the 1st thing I do is make modifications that will void the warranty anyway. But I'm with this guy. I've had very little call to use them in all these years. The DPS issue on my 2008 Spyder was the only real warranty payoff I've ever had. That saved me a total of $1,700.00. Not bad. But it was the warranty that came with the vehicle. Not extended. So, I was going to pay for that warranty no matter what I did.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    When you buy a warranty or insurance. You are betting that you'll have a problem. The warranty/insurance company is betting that you don't. And they know a lot more about it than we do. Just saying...

I don't buy them because the 1st thing I do is make modifications that will void the warranty anyway. But I'm with this guy. I've had very little call to use them in all these years. The DPS issue on my 2008 Spyder was the only real warranty payoff I've ever had. That saved me a total of $1,700.00. Not bad. But it was the warranty that came with the vehicle. Not extended. So, I was going to pay for that warranty no matter what I did.
    I'm pretty sure the " DPS " failures were covered under a Recall from BRP ..... at least mine was, because my factory warranty had expired ..... Mike