Spyder Garage

Default What do I have to do after battery is disconnected?

2019 RTL... going to install some wiring from the battery to a USB power supply. Battery will disconnected from the system for a while. Do I need to reset anything when I reconnect the battery? Or will everything go back to normal once battery power is restored?
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

It should go back to normal. No different than replacing battery.

Spyder Garage

You should only have to adjust the clock for the correct time. Everything else will be fine.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    2019 RTL... going to install some wiring from the battery to a USB power supply. Battery will disconnected from the system for a while. Do I need to reset anything when I reconnect the battery? Or will everything go back to normal once battery power is restored?
    Jim
    Well the clock will need to be re-set ..... and I think the Radio settings, stations, and the preference settings .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone - I'm going now to work on the power supply...

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

The preset radio stations on on my '14 were unaffected by removal and replacement of the battery. FWIW, the preset stations cannot be erased or deleted; they must be overwritten.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

For the most part, having to do a lot of re-sets or even reloading some systems was way back when the electronic systems on vehicles first came out. The settings needed constant power to keep them intact. Continued improvements in computer systems eliminated most of that. Now the electronic storage on almost all vehicles is stored on some media similar to the computer thumb drives which do not require power to maintain the settings. It is known as volatile memory vs nonvolatile memory. The volatile memory is the only one that requires constant voltage to maintain the memory. It makes no sense to use volatile memory on systems where the power may need to be disconnected for repair, or maybe to change the battery. Almost all modern electronics and vehicle systems use the nonvolatile memory storage method. Even many of the very early systems with volatile memory had a small, rechargeable battery integrated in the electronics which would maintain the BIOs or other settings when the power was disconnected for a long period of time.

Volatile memory is computer storage that only maintains its data while the device is powered. ... Volatile memory contrasts with non-volatile memory, which does not lose content when power is lost. Non-volatile memory has a continuous source of power and does not need to have its memory content periodically refreshed.
    If you have to do anything more than reset a clock or a few radio settings on any modern vehicle when changing the battery, it is a very poorly designed system.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Very likely the engine will feel different until the computer relearns as needed your engine control style.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
    It should go back to normal. No different than replacing battery.
    I hooked up the Lamonster USB cable with extension. Turned the bike on and everything was normal - clock, radio, stats, etc. I'm glad - if there were issues I'd be back on here asking for HELP... knowing I would be helped! Thanks.

LaMonster Belt Dampener