Spyder Garage

Default Are there any tread wear indicators on Spyder tires?

is there a certain depth of front tire on spyder to let you know its time to change
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' diy explanation....

Spyder Garage

I go by the wear bars myself! When I get into the wear bars I start to hunt for tires! I am sure some one will put some pictures up here for you soon, tires and oil get the boys going around here!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave, there's actually a whole heap of threads discussing this very question if you do a bit of searching, even some with pics so you can see exactly what I'm talking about, but to answer your question, YES! If they are the OE spec Kendas, there will be a little triangle embossed on the sidewall to show you where to look for the tread wear indicators, which are little bars staggered across each of the deepest grooves in the tread face. When ANY those bars are within 1/32nd of an inch of being flush, or worse, actually flush with the surface of the tread blocks, then it's past time to fit new tires!

However, be warned, there are a few other bars across those deepest grooves, only generally these 'other' bars have a ribbed surface (if you get to see them before that gets worn off!) These 'other' bars, which DO NOT have the little triangle embossed on the sidewall/very edge of the tread adjacent to them ARE NOT tread wear indicators; they are there to help stabilise the grooves & tread blocks during cornering and to force any trapped water, slush, or ice out of the grooves as the tire rolls & anything in those grooves gets forced ahead of the contact patch.

So on the OE Spec Kendas, if you can't find the little triangle on the edge of the sidewall adjacent to the bars in the grooves, it's not likely to be a tread wear indicator! Other brands of tires might use other symbols &/or indicators; some even have 'Tread Wear Indicator' or something similar cut into the raised strip of tread down the middle of the tire and that slowly wears away until it says something like 'Replace Tire' in that raised centre strip of rubber; but generally, tread wear indicators will be clearly marked somewhere on the edge of the tread/sidewall to show that's what they are!

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Any!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Center wears first. I changed it when the center got down to the wear bars. Air pressure does not seem to matter much.
    The Kendas are soft and the center expands out at higher speeds, even if you lower the air pressure. It causes the center
    of the tread to wear faster.

Only have a picture of the rear. Have not changed the front tires yet. They seem to be wearing more evenly.

This is the OEM rear tire. I put a different tire back on it.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Center wears first. I changed it when the center got down to the wear bars. Air pressure does not seem to matter much.
    The Kendas are soft and the center expands out at higher speeds, even if you lower the air pressure. It causes the center
    of the tread to wear faster.

Only have a picture of the rear. Have not changed the front tires yet. They seem to be wearing more evenly.

This is the OEM rear tire. I put a different tire back on it.

Kenda's are medium soft .... what causes them to " balloon " above 40-45 mph is they are made with a with " carcass ".... you are correct about the PSI though. over the years every psi imaginable has been tried in the rear tires and their is no magic amount..... I have decided that as far as the front Kenda's wearing better is there are two of them, since they are much narrower the " carcass " doesn't deform as easily, so IF you have good alignment they will wear evenly ( even if you don't rotate them as recommended by BRP ) ........ Mike