Spyder Garage

Default How do you get Codes to show on the screen?

2008 gs 44000 miles.
    How do you get the code numbers to show on the screen?

Spyder Garage

With engine running.
    Press the mode button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display. Make sure you do not release the mode button when you get to "engine hours"
    While still holding the mode button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    If there are more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

If you cannot start the engine.
    Press and hold the headlight overrun button on the front of the right handlebar controls.
    Press the mode button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display. Make sure you do not release the mode button when you get to "engine hours"
    While still holding the mode button and headlight overrun button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    If there are more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Just a reminder that the procedure that I posted above only shows active codes. So the warning lights and messages have to be still on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yup! Active codes only will be shown. If you want the service history of the vehicle you have to have a dealer run the VIN #.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    With engine running.

Press and hold the headlight overrun button on the front of the right handlebar controls.
    While still holding the mode button and headlight overrun button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    On my 2012 RS-S SE5, with engine running, I couldn't keep the mode button pressed to get to the engine hours--mode only changed when I released the button--but the codes still come up with the flashes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    With engine running.

Hello Billybovine,
    I've seen this response by you in a couple of threads and I appreciate your detail. I have a question though, that I'm sure you'll be able to answer easily - you refer to the "headlight overrun button". I don't see any such button in the owner's manual for my 2014 RTL. All I see (and I tried to attache the PDF page from my manual, but even though I browsed to that file and clicked ATTACH, I don't see it here - now I see it, but apparently it's showing 3 of the same attachment - sorry, I'm not smooth w/this forum app ) is a clear photo of the 3-way switch on the LEFT handlebar for HI, LO, FLASH headlights. Will one of them substitute for the overrun button you're referring to?
    Best Regards, Patrick Hill
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Patrick. Billy hasn't posted for a number of months, so I'll try to help.

This thread here, was about a 2008 GS. So, his instructions don't work for your 2014 RT. Back in December, Pete from Oz supplied a link for you that was a video made by Lamonster. It demonstrated how to pull up a code on your era of Spyder. Here it is again .

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/calling-up-fault-codes/

But in summary, when you have an ACTIVE code - meaning that you have the engine running and the Check Engine Light comes on - leave the engine running and simultaneously depress the Mode Button, the Set Button, and the Turn Signal Button straight in. The center display on your dash will change from your speedometer and show a code. It begins with a letter and is followed by a 4 digit alpha/numeric code. There are no words for an explanation. Once you have the code, come back to the forum, start a new thread with the full Code in the title and we'll try to figure it out.

If nothing shows up on the display, then you have no active codes. If your check engine light is on when it should not be, then you should have a code displayed. Notice in the video that Lamonster had to do it twice. The first time, he didn't hold in the Turn Signal Button long enough. If you have any problems, probably best to start your own new thread, rather than add onto a thread like this one, which is three years old. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2024 at 04:52 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reposting that, Snowbelt. I was wondering why I hadn’t heard anything further from Patrick on whether that process worked for him. He must have missed my post.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hello Snowbelt Spyder,

Thank you for replying to my question to bollybovine. I'm not a regular on the forums and haven't yet learned how to find out where replys to my questions are located. I'm eager to try that technique, but after I have my SPyder reassembled (currently dismantled for spark plug replacement and to expose enough coolant hose ends to try to find my frustrating coolant leak. My garage is covered w/tupperware, acoustic panels, and a removed frunk at this point).

Since you are obviously competent in the use of the forum, how do I attach an image to a message or to post? AND, when I learn how to do that, must my attachment be an image file? Or can it alternatively be a PDF file?

Best Regards, Patrick
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

Hello Pete,
    I'd failed to follow up on the video link you sent me. My situation is

I'm eager to try that technique, but after I have my SPyder reassembled (currently dismantled for spark plug replacement and to expose enough coolant hose ends to try to find my frustrating coolant leak. My garage is covered w/tupperware, acoustic panels, and a removed frunk at this point).

AND, I had gotten distracted pulling parts off the bike trying to get to the coolant hose ends and since I hadn't viewed the video link when you sent it, failed to remember I had it waiting patiently for me to use the wisdom you'd shared with me.

Thanks AGAIN, for sending it. Regards, Patrick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2024 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hello Pete,
    I'd failed to follow up on the video link you sent me. My situation is

I'm eager to try that technique, but after I have my SPyder reassembled (currently dismantled for spark plug replacement and to expose enough coolant hose ends to try to find my frustrating coolant leak. My garage is covered w/tupperware, acoustic panels, and a removed frunk at this point).

AND, I had gotten distracted pulling parts off the bike trying to get to the coolant hose ends and since I hadn't viewed the video link when you sent it, failed to remember I had it waiting patiently for me to use the wisdom you'd shared with me.

Thanks AGAIN, for sending it. Regards, Patrick
    Hello again Pete,
    I just finished viewing that excellent short video by Lamonster for which you'd sent me the link. Now, I have another question - this mini-thread was triggered by the clearly written set of instructions by billybovine about retrieving codes; however those instructions were for an RS bike. They included instructions for retrieval with and WITHOUT the engine running. Pete, do you know where I can find instructions for retrieving codes for a 2014 RTL that won't start (or simply w/o the engine running)?
    Regards, Patrick

Spyder Garage

Hello again Pete,
    I just finished viewing that excellent short video by Lamonster for which you'd sent me the link. Now, I have another question - this mini-thread was triggered by the clearly written set of instructions by billybovine about retrieving codes; however those instructions were for an RS bike. They included instructions for retrieval with and WITHOUT the engine running. Pete, do you know where I can find instructions for retrieving codes for a 2014 RTL that won't start (or simply w/o the engine running)?
    Regards, Patrick
    I have never seen that question asked before of the 14, Patrick. I do not know the answer. I’ll have a look when time permits, but perhaps someone else knows and will respond.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hello again Pete,
    Regards, Patrick
    Hopefully, I'll try to explain this clearly. On the RT, the procedure is the same whether or not the engine is running.

However, retrieving codes - whether it be on an RS,RT, or F3 - older or 20+ - is a process that will only retrieve an ACTIVE code. Meaning that the fault is Active at that moment in time that you are calling it up. Any code that may have been present the last time the bike was running, could very well disappear from the ACTIVE list, the moment the key is turned off. So Patrick, calling up codes, before you even start the bike, will at best, give you an incomplete/inaccurate list.

Of course, some fault conditions can occur the moment the key is turned On, such as those relating to a sensor failure, low level in the brake reservoir, CAN bus issues, etc. And false codes can occur when the battery is weak. You have to weed those out.

Thus, concentrate on getting the machine up and running first, and take it out for a rip. If the Check Engine Light is on and stays on, then come back and check for codes while keeping the engine running. Because the moment you turn off the key - POOF - most codes will disappear from ACTIVE status, even when you turn the key back on, and you'd need the BUDS software to see what they were. Or, go out for another ride to get them to re-occur.

Now, if the machine won't even start for you, keep the key on after the failed starting attempts and go through the procedure to retrieve the codes. The guilty code that is preventing the engine from starting - for example a failed crank sensor or failed fuel pump - will be displayed, because it is actively preventing the engine from running, and in that case would be an ACTIVE code.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-02-2024 at 07:02 AM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Pete,

I only asked the question because billybovine's instructions for the RS showed how to retrieve codes when engine was NOT running. Don't spend too much energy on it, but pls let me know if you stumble across something like that.

I was a few days R&R in Sydney during my Vietnam tour. Would certainly liked to have had a Spyder to ride there!!

Regards, Patrick

Spyder Garage

Patrick. I answered your question, plus other information, above. No difference.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-02-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Thank you Snowbelt Spyder,
    I must have missed that one from you yesterday. I'm glad to have the info abt the not-running RT.
    Regards, Patrick