Spyder Garage

Default Fitting BajaRon F3 anti-sway bar links only - any good?

hi, has anyone just replaace the links and not the bar and saw a differences
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I do not see where that would make any difference, other than changing plastic for alum!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I remember reading a good number of years ago there were some BRP plastic Heim links that broke and that most probably was why Ron used aluminum links because they would eliminate any risk of breakage. The stiffness of the sway bar is what does the work and gives the improvement over the OEM bar although perhaps Ron might know of a small contribution the aluminum links add to the equation.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pieman9155 View Post
    hi, has anyone just replaace the links and not the bar and saw a differences
    I replaced the links on the wifes Intense Red F3T with the red anodized links from BajaRon a couple years ago and my wife was really happy with the red sparkles, I mean Farkles.
    She could really see them

And a week or so ago I put on the BajaRon bar.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

A good question. And opinions vary (who would have thought!). Frankly, we produced the rigid end links to eliminate any chance of breakage. We really did not expect the end links to make any noticeable difference in handling. We were surprised when we found that they actually do. Though it should have occurred to me before I experienced it.

We have not done any particular testing of a links only install as far as improvement in handling. However, I will offer this. We have bench tested the stock, plastic composite links. They do stretch under extension and compress under load. Though the plastic links do not fail often with the stock sway bar, this stretching and compressing action, over time, is one reason that they can fail. Of course this situation is increased when a stronger sway bar is installed. Since these links have been known to fail with a stock sway bar. We decided it was a good idea to upgrade the end links as well. This is why I will not sell a BajaRon Sway Bar Kit without my end link set.

Anytime the sway bar is called into service, the plastic links will stretch and compress. The amount depends on how hard you are riding into the curves and how heavily you are loaded. But in any case, the amount is relatively small. Still, this does act to absorb some of the energy that the bar is attempting to transfer from the heavy side to the light side of the Spyder. This reduces the effectiveness of the sway bar system. So, there is no doubt that replacing the plastic links with rigid links will improve the system. How much? Well, that is up for debate.

I can also say that when we developed the original sway bars (first for the Spyder and then for the Ryker). We did so using the OEM plastic links for testing. I didn't want to go to all the trouble of designing and prototyping end links until I was sure the sway bars were going to offer significant improvement. Even with my stronger sway bars, brand new OEM plastic end links held up just fine for the short time they were needed to test the new bar. When the rigid end links were later added to the prototype sway bar, all the testers were surprised that they noticed additional improvement.

We know that rigid end links improve the function of the stock sway bar system. But putting a value on this is difficult. My wild guess is somewhere in the 10% ~ 20% range. Many customers swear they can tell a difference. Most are satisfied for awhile. But eventually, they pull the trigger for the full bar set upgrade.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-01-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

What happens if one of the end links completely break off?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    What happens if one of the end links completely break off?
    If either end link fails, the entire sway bar system is instantly disabled. You will never break both end links because the load immediately goes to zero for the unbroken side. Since the most likely time for failure is when the end links are under maximum stress (which means you are relying on the sway bar to keep you level and in your lane), I think most riders can understand the potential. The sway bar is resisting centrifugal force in a turn, reducing lean. When either link fails, this all goes away. You will instantly get more severe lean than you've ever experienced before. The Spyder will not tip over, but it may well feel like it is going to. The natural reaction is to straighten up the direction of travel to counter this feeling. Which may take you out of your intended (and probably needed) path.

I want to make it very clear that it is not my purpose to scare anyone. Plastic link failure is not common. My products are designed to enhance ride, handling and control. And, I think they do this. I don't need scare tactics, nor do I intend to ever use them to sell anything. The scenario above is unlikely. Many riders have experienced broken plastic links without any real risk to their safety. My purpose here, beyond answering your question, is to explain why I require the BajaRon end links be installed with any of my bar kits. Installed correctly, my bar kits not only increase the fun factor, they also increase the safety factor. This is very important to me. I tend to consider all of my customers, friends.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If either end link fails, the entire sway bar system is instantly disabled. You will never break both end links because the load immediately goes to zero for the unbroken side. Since the most likely time for failure is when the end links are under maximum stress (which means you are relying on the sway bar to keep you level and in your lane), I think most riders can understand the potential. The sway bar is resisting centrifugal force in a turn, reducing lean. When either link fails, this all goes away. You will instantly get more severe lean than you've ever experienced before. The Spyder will not tip over, but it may well feel like it is going to. The natural reaction is to straighten up the direction of travel to counter this feeling. Which may take you out of your intended (and probably needed) path.

I want to make it very clear that it is not my purpose to scare anyone. Plastic link failure is not common. My products are designed to enhance ride, handling and control. And, I think they do this. I don't need scare tactics, nor do I intend to ever use them to sell anything. The scenario above is unlikely. Many riders have experienced broken plastic links without any real risk to their safety. My purpose here, beyond answering your question, is to explain why I require the BajaRon end links be installed with any of my bar kits. Installed correctly, my bar kits not only increase the fun factor, they also increase the safety factor. This is very important to me. I tend to consider all of my customers, friends.
    I have the links installed. Now can I just buy the bar at a reduced price?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    If you have an F3, maybe find a newer RT take off..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    Yes, I will sell a partial kit (without links) at a reduced price to owners who already have the links installed. But I do not list kits this way. You will need to contact me directly. If I did list partial kits, customers would buy them to save money, leaving me with no ability to verify that they will be installing the links as well. Believe me, I fully understand saving a buck when you can. But I have a responsibility to make sure my product is safe and do all I can to ensure it is installed with all needed components.

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    If you have an F3, maybe find a newer RT take off..
    All of the OEM RT sway bars are the same from 2013 to 2020. And I have every reason to believe the 2021 RT will be the same. These OEM RT bars are a viable option, and obviously, many have done exactly this. But you will not get the same level of improvement with an OEM RT Bar take-off that you can achieve with the BajaRon bar kit.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-01-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Yes, I will sell a partial kit (without links) at a reduced price to owners who already have the links installed. But I do not list kits this way. You will need to contact me directly. If I did list partial kits, customers would buy them to save money, leaving me with no ability to verify that they will be installing the links as well. Believe me, I fully understand saving a buck when you can. But I have a responsibility to make sure my product is safe and do all I can to ensure it is installed with all needed components.

All of the OEM RT sway bars are the same from 2013 to 2020. And I have every reason to believe the 2021 RT will be the same. These OEM RT bars are a viable option, and obviously, many have done exactly this. But you will not get the same level of improvement with an OEM RT Bar take-off that you can achieve with the BajaRon bar kit.
    He's right. I put my 2015 RT bar on my 2018 F3L. Got very little improvement if any. Had on for couple months. Then I put Bajaron's bar on and notice a big improvement. Go with the Bajaron bar.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

thank you all for the input
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    He's right. I put my 2015 RT bar on my 2018 F3L. Got very little improvement if any. Had on for couple months. Then I put Bajaron's bar on and notice a big improvement. Go with the Bajaron bar.
    Interesting that you would say this. I've had a number of customers tell me the same thing. The BajaRon sway bar for the F3 is actually quite a bit stronger than the OEM sway bar for the RT. The difference in bar size from OEM diameter is not that much. But with such a small sway bar, a little bit goes a long way. Add some improved metallurgy and you end up with quite a big difference in function.

Because I am the manufacturer, I don't say these things often. It just doesn't come off well when the guy selling it makes these kinds of statements. I fully understand that it sounds self-serving. In these cases, the customer's opinion carries much more weight. In the end, good information helps the next person make an informed decision. It is one of the great advantages of a forum like this which offers a platform for members willing to offer valid feedback.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-02-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

So the bike will be ok just with the links installed and the manufactures bar?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Okay", not great, but okay being the operative word. It will work, but personally I don't see much real benefit, just installing the links. JMO of course.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I spend my money very hard and have mulled over all the options mentioned above that are short of going whole hog with the Bajaron bar. After being reassured by Ron and others that his bar is the only way to go for noticeably improved handling, I bit the bullet and ordered it. My F3L went from good handling to wowie, this thing is a go cart handling!
    Get off the pot and spend the bucks for a Bajaron bar - I guarantee you will not regret it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kennygee View Post
    So the bike will be ok just with the links installed and the manufactures bar?
    Yes, absolutely. My link set will work just fine while adding a bit of efficiency and handling improvement to the stock bar. My links do not stretch or compress under stress like the plastic ones do. This stretching/compressing absorbs some of the energy that the bar is attempting to transfer. This is why the ball joints are so tight in the OEM links. Because the plastic 'Race' that holds them distorts under stress. If they were not very tight, they would come out of their sockets.

I know that because I manufacture and sell these bar kits that there is some understandable skepticism that my advise might be self serving when I say that getting just the links is not going to give you near the improvement that upgrading the entire bar kit will afford. It's just a matter of physics. My goal being a happy, satisfied customer. If your expectations of just a link upgrade are realistic, then you should be happy. If you are looking for a large improvement in handling with just the link set, you may well be disappointed.

The customer is always right. And I know some are intimidated by the install process of a full bar kit. So, I understand looking at all your options, including price. This is why I try to inform, as much as possible, and let the customer decide.

I will say that most customers who start out with a link only install. End up coming back for the full bar kit.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-26-2021 at 08:04 PM.