Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Handlebar Bolt Broken - how?

I have read about three Ryker owners where the bolt to tighten the handlebar has broke. I asked one of them if it broke while he was tightening the bolt and he said no. One of the owners was actually riding while it broke, but he was able to safely come to a stop. I really don't see how there would be enough physical force to break the bolt just by turning the handlebars, and believe the issue must be due to much torque to the bolt during assembly. Just seems strange that it would not have completely snapped if over tightened. Thoughts?

Ryker Handlebar 1.jpgRyker Handlebar 2.jpgRyker Handlebar 3.jpg

Currently Own: 2019 Ryker Rally
    Previously Owned: 2019 F3 Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbohman56 View Post
    I have read about three Ryker owners where the bolt to tighten the handlebar has broke. I asked one of them if it broke while he was tightening the bolt and he said no. One of the owners was actually riding while it broke, but he was able to safely come to a stop. I really don't see how there would be enough physical force to break the bolt just by turning the handlebars, and believe the issue must be due to much torque to the bolt during assembly. Just seems strange that it would not have completely snapped if over tightened. Thoughts?

Ryker Handlebar 1.jpgRyker Handlebar 2.jpgRyker Handlebar 3.jpg
    Please summit whatever "reading" sources you can. Or steer us in that direction.

Spyder Garage

Well this is a little unsettling....It's going to be a real bear to fix that too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Please submit whatever "reading" sources you can. Or steer us in that direction.

Facebook - The Can-Am Rykers Owners Club
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2206307162967267/

There are several Ryker groups on Facebook, some with the same or similar names. Sure, the posts could be fake or not completely telling the whole story, I don't know. But, the one guy did post pictures of the broken bolt on the Ryker. I got to believe it is due to over tightening the bolt by the dealer.

Currently Own: 2019 Ryker Rally
    Previously Owned: 2019 F3 Spyder

Spyder Garage

Probably will have to use an "Easy out" to get that bolt out. BTW the bolt on my Rally, 10/18 build date. has a BRASS? colored bolt. With a separate washer. I've used 18 lb ft torque to tighten bolt after straightening the handlebars. Maybe there was absolutely no grease on that aluminum tapered area. Can't tell by the picture, and I'm assuming it needs at least a little grease.