Spyder Garage

Default Install 12V power outlet help

I have a portable air compressor that has a 12V male power plug. My 2019 RTL doesn't have a 12V female power plug anywhere that I can find. In the trunk, on the right, it looks like a place to install a plug. Am I right? If so, how do I install one? I have never done this. Does the power come directly from the battery? Does it need a fuse? If so, how big and what style? Or is there a 12V female plug somewhere on the 2019?
    Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Prefix - This is a 'How Do I' question, not a 'How To:' DIY description.

Spyder Garage

ALWAYS have an INLINE FUSE.... NEVER do any electrical connections without one....
    as for a port, check online, there are hundreds that are applicable... i got mine for about $14 on eBay... and YES, connect it directly to the battery, this way you can connect your BATTERY TENDER to it while your ride sit over the Winter... see pix...
    IMG_20200831_111004.jpg IMG_20200831_111011.jpg
    you'll notice that mine has the FUSE built-in, however, i also installed another FUSE just off the battery, that way if somehow the wire gets stripped and grounds out, hopefully i won't burn up my ride... you shouldn't need much more than a 10AMP fuse...
    hope this helped...
    Dan
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As SPYD3R says, connect it directly to the battery. The spot you're looking at in the frunk is the place for a 12 volt outlet, but the wires that come to it are fused at 5 or 10 amps. That is not enough capacity to run a compressor w/o risking blowing the fuse for the circuit. I think the factory installed fuse for that circuit is 5 amps but the circuit can handle 10 easily.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sharp on the electrical stuff. I get what you are saying. But I still wonder about that dummy outlet in the trunk of my 2019 RTL - on the right side, opposite the dual USB plug on the left. Can I put the 12V plug there?

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Yes. Then run the wires to the battery.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/CUZEC-Adapter...8965588&sr=8-8
    I installed this under my seat. I found the central location was better for air compressor and GPS connection.
    YMMV.

Spyder Garage

I added extra power outlets that bypass the nanny by adding a fuse block in the frunk behind the carpet and just above the battery. The post doesn't show it, but I have since run a wire to the rear trunk and added a 12 volt cigarette lighter style outlet back there. Also have one on the Spyder cuff. a rocker switch style double USB outlet and 12v coax outlets for heated gear. All are fused and direct from the battery.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1402237
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkryder View Post
    I added extra power outlets that bypass the nanny by adding a fuse block in the frunk behind the carpet and just above the battery. The post doesn't show it, but I have since run a wire to the rear trunk and added a 12 volt cigarette lighter style outlet back there. Also have one on the Spyder cuff. a rocker switch style double USB outlet and 12v coax outlets for heated gear. All are fused and direct from the battery.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1402237
    I read your other post about this fuse block. Digesting the instructions.... thanks

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Google SAE panel mount plug. I mounted one in my left saddlebag. This is the plug that comes on better battery chargers. I ran mine directly from the battery with an inline fuse close to the battery. I put an SAE plug on my air compressor. I can run air compressor from it or charge battery.

Spyder Garage

If you have a SAE battery tender cable wired to your battery, these can be had for less than $10
    https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ccessory-Cable

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue