Spyder Garage

Default Messed up - intermittent warning lights?

Hope this is in the right place. 2008 gs . 44000 miles. Has never had any problems, always ran great. Went for a ride the other day, 65-70 mph for about an hour . Stopped for a stretch, about 15 minutes. Started up just fine . Took off, maybe 100 yards and made left turn. Accelerated , not hard , tps showed on dash followed by check engine. Pulled over and turned off and waited 10 minutes or so. Started up , all went away. Drove about 3 miles and it happened again. No loss of power just engine light an tps . Went on for about 10 minutes to my destination and shut all down. Checked oil ( ok) . About 5 hours later , started up to go home, all well . Went about 5 miles and did it again only this time it seemed to have lost a little power. Turned around and went back to my daughters and because it was late I left it there overnight and borrowed a car and went home . Had it trailered to my house the next day. Got it off the trailer and started it and check engine, tps, dss, nd I think all the rest came on. Ran fine. Rode it to the garage and shut it off. Motor shut off but dash board stayed on, gear position indicator said 0 (sm5 ). Turned key on and off 3or 4 times, finally it turned off (dashboard). Started again and turned off same thing. Since it was my birthday and the party was starting, I left it. Now today I turned it on and dash is back to normal. Going to go for a ride in a little while and see what happens. I know that was long but I didn’t know any other way of saying it. Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Intermittent problems with the dash signals always triggers my “check the battery” reflex. I’d clean the battery connections and tighten securely. If the issue persists after that have the battery load tested. If that’s fine, then you’ve got some code checking research to do, but eliminate the obvious “possible” battery issue first.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Check both ends of the ground wires!!!Make sure there CLEAN and tight!! Load test the battery
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Ok so I removed battery and had load tested, good. Ran down and cleaned all ground connections I could find. Removed all relays, cleans sockets and pins . Tried new battery. Still the same. Vss, abs, check engine light, dash stays on after turning off for a minute or so and then shuts off ( engine shuts off as soon as you turn the key). Where to now?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There were some relay problems on earlier bikes...I'd get 1 new relay and try switching them out one at a time to see if you can correct problem...Just a suggestion...larryd

If my memory serves me correctly, back in the beginning Spyder days (GS 2008 & 2009), there was another Spyder site called "Evolution Performance" and they offered a complete upgraded relay package that included ALL the needed relays due to ongoing relay problems back then...larryd
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Relay, not replay - bleedin auto-correct! :-/