Thread: Rain riding

Spyder Garage

Default Rain riding

hi spyder owners. i have a question riding during down pours with the spyder. my experience has been with my previous "2" wheelers. i had no problem at all riding in torrential downpours on two wheels. so to the experienced spyder travelers how is the "3" wheeler in the rain when it is coming down. i ask this because of the third wheel in the middle which would put it right between the two tracks in the road. any hydro planing? just want to know what to expect.
    thanks

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a bad case of hydroplaning a couple of years ago. I was riding on stock kenda’s. I have since switched to Vredestein fronts. Still have kenda on the rear. Can’t honestly comment on how much difference this makes. jmho wtfdik!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rugercharger View Post
    hi spyder owners. i have a question riding during down pours with the spyder. my experience has been with my previous "2" wheelers. i had no problem at all riding in torrential downpours on two wheels. so to the experienced spyder travelers how is the "3" wheeler in the rain when it is coming down. i ask this because of the third wheel in the middle which would put it right between the two tracks in the road. any hydro planing? just want to know what to expect.

Riding in super bad rain is never a good idea, I always pulled off or under an overpass if caught in the rain.
    I would much rather never hydroplane but if I do I would prefer it to be on 3 wheels not two wheels.
    just be aware that your rear tire is running in all the crap that drips out of cars and trucks in the center of the lane
    so it will be slippery......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Display

Spyder Garage

I too had an issue a few weeks back. 90 miles on highways in constant rain without issue until I hit very uneven back roads near my Daughter's place. Rear wheel spun and Spydey danced a jig then did again all within about 200 hundred yards. 3 new tires (Hankook) on it now but too soon to know how much better it will be. I was doing 45 maybe 50 mph at the time. Definitely put the wind up me and lucky there were no other vehicles around.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Volume of rain, type and condition of rear tire, and speed determine when and if you will hydroplane. Exceed one or more of the factors and you will do so. BTDT; it isn't a good feeling and sure as hell will get your attention. Do it once and you won't forget the factors. First and foremost, slow down.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Volume of rain, type and condition of rear tire, and speed determine when and if you will hydroplane. Exceed one or more of the factors and you will do so. BTDT; it isn't a good feeling and sure as hell will get your attention. Do it once and you won't forget the factors. First and foremost, slow down.
    Yep I reckon another 10+ mph off the speed would have made a big difference. That would put me down to around 35 in a 60 zone. Have to watch out for anyone up your rear as well. Tires were getting down but very legal.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Yep I reckon another 10+ mph off the speed would have made a big difference. That would put me down to around 35 in a 60 zone. Have to watch out for anyone up your rear as well. Tires were getting down but very legal.
    Tire science - your two wheeler did better because of the smaller tire contact patch ( honestly ) .... the Spyders have a lot of tire/road contact because #1. the tires are a lot wider and #2. there are three of them ..... good news is the VSS will help you to control the bike and let you know you should slow down. Even $ 2,000 racing tires will hydroplane when they exceed their speed limit. I also suggest riding to the right in your lane ) as safely possible..... the center of the lane is more likely to get all the oil & anti-freeze drips from all the vehicles that use the road .... Be especially careful as you approach TOLL booths if you encounter them, the lane center is hyper slippery. To help counter the hydro-planning is your tires PSI , if you still have Kenda's they really should not be lowered ( they need higher PSI to keep the tire /wheel BEAD intact ) .... however any auto tire on a Spyder has more traction ( wet or dry ) is the PSI are in the 16-17 for front and 17-19 rear. ( and I'm not guessing about these amounts ) ...... good luck, slow down in the wet and stay safe ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The only way to reduce/eliminate hydroplaning is to slow down. You are riding what is commonly called a three point hydroplane. Wide flat surfaces front and rear. This configuration is exactly what makes hydroplanes so fast. Riding on top of the water with little resistance. Tire type, condition, and air pressure can have some effect. But none of that will matter if you are going too fast. Just slow down..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... good news is the VSS will help you to control the bike and let you know you should slow down...... good luck, slow down in the wet and stay safe ..... Mike
    Yes, the VSS will certainly let you know, and if you’ve never experienced the VSS, it seems like it’s calling you a dumbass, which I suppose I was......going too fast, heavy grooves in the pavement from all the HEAVY truck traffic.....coming down hill in heavy rain, and then...WHAM....VSS kicked in. Didn’t know what the. Beejesus was happening. So it slowed me down and the hydroplaning stoped, sooooooo I speeded up (I wanted to get to my hotel and out of this) and.....well ........
    Lets just say Thank You to BRP and the VSS. I learned!!!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The only way to reduce/eliminate hydroplaning is to slow down. You are riding what is commonly called a three point hydroplane. Wide flat surfaces front and rear. This configuration is exactly what makes hydroplanes so fast. Riding on top of the water with little resistance. Tire type, condition, and air pressure can have some effect. But none of that will matter if you are going too fast. Just slow down..... Jim
    Indeed even then ruts can get you something quick. Thankfully the VSS is there & will remind you what is too fast pay attention & behave accordingly.1BB0B395-0229-4F8F-9F59-0DC2F8BDEF62.jpeg
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-31-2020 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Rode 340 km yesterday in what could charitably be described as heavy rain. Had to get home for work today. Me on my RTL, spouse on her Ryker. Stops every 100km or so for hot tea, and fuel. The machines had no problem with it and, as long as we kept the speed down and drove responsibly, neither did we.

Driving in weather is more about knowing your own limitations, and trusting the machinery, than anything else.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

You have to drive the conditions, slow down, if it don't feel right stop!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Our first long trip with our roadster was summer of 2011. Enroute,and less than 20 miles from Mammoth Cave,in the dark, a microburst had me depending on the fog lines to see where we were in the lane. I slowed down considerably, just wanted to get to our room after a long day. There were vehicles blowing by me throwing up curtains of water, akin to waves. On that day, and every time after, in torrential downpours that I decided to motor on through, Pyder has never offered to hydroplane. Yes, tires and all that, but speed,in my experience, was the greatest factor.
    For my .02 let the machine do what it was designed to do, and keep the link between right hand and brain active.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Slow down, turn the 4 ways on, get off on some decent skinny roads (where most are going a little bit slower). Check the weather forecast/radar. Could be you're on the edge of a storm and will drive out of it in a few miles. If you're driving INTO the storm, stop and take a break. Driving in bad weather is VERY tiring, even if you don't realize it. (I used to be a long distance truck driver and know this from experience.)

Spyder Garage

My experience with hydroplaning. Did it two times back in Alaska (2010 ish). Two things will make it happen. Riding over 50-55 mph. Going through puddles over one inch deep.

On the first incident, my Spyder did a 360. Lucky no other traffic hurt me. No incidents since.

Today, for the first time, rode 50 plus miles in a gentle rain. Slowed down to 45 (others did too), and did not push it on the curves. No slip sliding or feelings like we were going to lose it. Tried to avoid wet puddles. The F3L with the low windshield worked pretty well. Did get some sprinkles on my face plate, but the bandana keep it mostly clear with the occasional wipe. Legs, arms, and hands did not get wet.

Very heavy rain where vision is impaired, I pull over and wait it out. Not worth getting killed over.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red