Spyder Garage

Default What size is the Ryker's Final Drive Crush Washer/O-ring? Re-usable?

Does anyone happen to know the size of the crush washer for the final drive oil drain? It is a different part number than for the large oil drain and great drain. BRP price in Canada is $10.99 plus tax which seems high. Thanks.

PS. Have people reused the existing washer with out issue?

Spyder Garage

I seem to remember some guy's reusing that washer, I never have. And I went on cheap cycle and looked the washers up, I don't see any for that price! You sure you didn't price out the plug instead of the crush washer?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I don't own a Ryker but from looking at the Final Drive fiche, Item 50>50b1, Drain Plug, magnetic, you need PN 219800486, O-ring $7.19. I never reuse sealing washers, crush washers, or O-rings regardless of others who report success reusing them. No sense in being cheap with items that keep fluids in your machine IMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Alternative Crush Washer

I agree on not reusing these items however I thought if there was a source for a cheaper version I would buy some to have on hand. I had to wait for the final drive washer to be ordered in and I prefer to be able to do the work when I have the time. I know a number of people have discussed in other spyder threads using a bonded washer gasket like these from Amazon. I wanted to get the dimensions to order some. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07T9T6N3J/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Spyder Garage

First, the sealing washer you are referring to is not a crush washer. You can never re-use a true crush washer as they are permanently deformed from the original install.

I sell seal kits so telling the truth here may cost me. But you can certainly reuse the copper washer on your final drive, and every other drain plug. This goes for the O-Rings as well. I have proven this to myself many times. I do recommend, as a minimum if you choose to go this route, having an appropriate seal kit on hand in the event that you find a damaged seal. Otherwise, you risk down time waiting for a very inexpensive seal to arrive. It may not be available at your local dealership or parts store.

I am not saying that it isn't a good idea to change seals when servicing your machine. Seal kits are very inexpensive insurance. Just saying that unless you see visual damage or, in the case of an O-Ring, feel a nick, cut or deterioration, my experience is that you're good to go. Especially in a zero pressure environment like the final drive on your Ryker.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-03-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    First, the sealing washer you are referring to is not a crush washer. You can never re-use a true crush washer as they are permanently deformed from the original install.

I sell seal kits so telling the truth here may cost me. But you can certainly reuse the copper washer on your final drive, and every other drain plug. This goes for the O-Rings as well. I have proven this to myself many times. I do recommend, as a minimum if you choose to go this route, having an appropriate seal kit on hand in the event that you find a damaged seal. Otherwise, you risk down time waiting for a very inexpensive seal to arrive. It may not be available at your local dealership or parts store.

I am not saying that it isn't a good idea to change seals when servicing your machine. Seal kits are very inexpensive insurance. Just saying that unless you see visual damage or, in the case of an O-Ring, feel a nick, cut or deterioration, my experience is that you're good to go. Especially in a zero pressure environment like the final drive on your Ryker.
    Thanks Ron. I picked up the parts today and you are absolutely correct the part is an o-ring not a washer