Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Pics of BRP Comfort Seat with Utopia Back Rest

Utopia now makes back rests for the BRP comfort seat. Because mine was their first, I needed to UPS the comfort seat to them. They indicated that the comfort seat is thicker than the standard seat and therefore needed to make a longer post. They did a great job in matching both the stitching and the pattern. Their turn around time was 1 week. Not only is the comfort seat...comfortable, but the back rest is equally comfortable and supportive. Since my Corbin trunkbox w/backrest pad does not match, I obtained enough of the Utopia material to cover the Corbin pad. That will no doubt be a winter project. Here are some pictures...Joan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRyder810 View Post
    Utopia now makes back rests for the BRP comfort seat. Because mine was their first, I needed to UPS the comfort seat to them. They indicated that the comfort seat is thicker than the standard seat and therefore needed to make a longer post. They did a great job in matching both the stitching and the pattern. Their turn around time was 1 week. Not only is the comfort seat...comfortable, but the back rest is equally comfortable and supportive. Since my Corbin trunkbox w/backrest pad does not match, I obtained enough of the Utopia material to cover the Corbin pad. That will no doubt be a winter project. Here are some pictures...Joan

Looks good. I also like how the corbin is in the sport rack location instead of taking up the rear seat!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Your backrest even came with a purse!

Seriously, it looks great!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, isn't that great...I now have room to pack more stuff...as if I need it...lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    Looks good. I also like how the corbin is in the sport rack location instead of taking up the rear seat!!!

That looks really nice, but does it cramp the passenger and make it difficult to mount?

Michael

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Back Rest ?

Backrest looks great , Could provide address infro ,Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    That looks really nice, but does it cramp the passenger and make it difficult to mount?

Michael
    I'm able to sit back there quite nicely. MSF taught me to mount a motorcycle like you'd mount a horse. If the passenger does the same it should be do-able...Joan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
    Backrest looks great , Could provide address infro ,Thanks

Utopia info:

http://www.utpr.com

(330) 666-2602
    (888) 343-3320

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

I'm able to sit back there quite nicely. MSF taught me to mount a motorcycle like you'd mount a horse. If the passenger does the same it should be do-able...Joan
    My passenger isn't convenced, I'll just have to find one that is installed and have her try it. You have to realize that she is used to riding the passenger seat on our GL 1800. I am trying to get her weaned off that since I like riding the Spyder much better.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Wow, Joan, they certainly did do a nice job matching the stitching detail. Can't wait to see it in person. Hope it works well for you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Wow, Joan, they certainly did do a nice job matching the stitching detail. Can't wait to see it in person. Hope it works well for you.

Thanks Scotty, I took it out for a ride last night and I'm totally happy! Joan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Joan, that looks great!! It matches very well. You have a very nice looking bike with your Corbin luggage! Enjoy!

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My passenger isn't convenced, I'll just have to find one that is installed and have her try it. You have to realize that she is used to riding the passenger seat on our GL 1800. I am trying to get her weaned off that since I like riding the Spyder much better.

All things considered, IMHO the passenger comfort question is a relative one. The comfort seat has the same passenger seat surface as the standard passenger seat. The question to consider is what type of passenger back rest will the passenger use...BRP, Corbin, nothing, another brand? The BRP passenger back rest is adjustable and therefore offers the passenger options. The Corbin which you saw in the pictures is not adjustable, yet allows the same amount of space as does the BRP when set in the closest position. With that said, I typically don't carry a passenger.

Rider size is another consideration with regard to comfort. While I'd be quite comfortable riding in the passenger position, there's no way my husband could ride there because of the Corbin backrest. So checking it out personally is the practical thing to do. Your passenger is right to question the level of comfort.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vendit View Post
    Joan, that looks great!! It matches very well. You have a very nice looking bike with your Corbin luggage! Enjoy!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I couldn't have made the long haul to Idaho and back without my Corbin. All I need now is a GPS and a cup holder.

Maybe Santa will be good to me...Joan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

that looks great I want one...wish I knew for sure that wouldn't hinder my wife sitting in the back. Does the storage bag come with it and do you know if the outside cover would still fit?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks great! Now I want one!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by czdaryle View Post
    that looks great I want one...wish I knew for sure that wouldn't hinder my wife sitting in the back. Does the storage bag come with it and do you know if the outside cover would still fit?

Yes, the "purse" comes with the back rest. I don't know about the outside cover...sorry.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the same issue this does look nice however. I am trying to wean my spouse of the Ultra rear seat and armrest, when I was riding with my own backrest it kept her in there 'snug' and she has even gone to sleep on occasions and I did not worry, however the Spyder is very different and more sports like and it is taking a time a she is still concerned about not being so secure.

This looks like a good start/compromise but I am hanging in there for something like the Ultra tour pack set up or the Goldwing/Honda tourpac set up to make her at ease. I remember seeing a photoshop of a Spyder with an FLH front fairing and rear set up and it did not look half bad really, the front I can do without but the rear seat for the passenger comfort can be improved a great deal and I wish I was more creative and had the ability to try and make it so....This certainly looks good however.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Utopia now makes back rests for the BRP comfort seat.
    It looks really nice, Joan--and the price seems very reasonable for such clean work.

Here's another pic of a backrest on a stock seat...Now I'm trying to decide whether to order one right away, or wait until I purchase a comfort seat and get a backrest that matches--like yours...

Last edited by jeuchler; 08-19-2009 at 01:32 PM.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    It looks really nice, Joan--and the price seems very reasonable for such clean work.

Here's another pic of a backrest on a stock seat...Now I'm trying to decide whether to order one right away, or wait until I purchase a comfort seat and get a backrest that matches--like yours...

That photo is of my wife's Spyder sitting in our driveway. Bob (Utopia) didn't have a pic of one installed, so I sent that pic to him. Either saddle you go, I think you'll love the backrest.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    That photo is of my wife's Spyder sitting in our driveway. Bob (Utopia) didn't have a pic of one installed, so I sent that pic to him. Either saddle you go, I think you'll love the backrest.
    Thanks for the recommendation, Mark--and the photo credits!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeuchler View Post
    Now I'm trying to decide whether to order one right away, or wait until I purchase a comfort seat and get a backrest that matches--like yours...

Because my husband and I are now taking long trips on the motorcycles, I wanted a bit more comfort in the seat as well as needing to get a backrest. I considered the Corbin as well as the Russell Day Long, but decided on the BRP comfort seat after sitting on it at the dealership. So, I talked with Utopia and they were very accommodating. I think either way you'll be pleased with the Utopia backrest.