Spyder Garage

Default Safety Card Start requirement

OK, this is the question.
    We were riding Friday and we stopped for a butt break say for 10 minutes.
    When I tried to restart the bike...Nothing!
    I went through the start sequence again nothing!
    I have owned my 2016 F3-S since early April and strangely enough I never noticed the message that
    flashes across the center of my dash that states....."remove the left access panel, read safety card and press the eco/mode
    button to start the bike.
    DA!!!
    Honestly, all, this is the first time I actually noticed these instructions!
    I promise there is a question and here it is.
    What does the left access panel interface with that the ECU now knows I have looked at the safety card, so now the bike will start??
    I have not noticed any switches or wires that touch where the access panel is, or that matter the latch that secures the panel?
    There has got to be a way to fool the ECU into thinking the access panel has been removed?
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

This post is interesting and I had no idea that could occur. I’ll be watching this thread. Thanks for posting
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a reminder, not a requirement.

You would think that after owning the bike for a couple of hours and maybe starting it three or four times, you would have that card memorized. Of course, that's if you had seen the reminder.

Not sure if your F3 is any different, but many of us with RTs simply turn the key, immediately press the ECO/MODE button, then press the start button.
    Some RTs will do that, others won't, it might be something that changed in '16 or '17.

Then there are the others that turn the key ON, then put on their helmet and gloves while the computer is booting, then finally press the ECO/MODE and start buttons.

Once you have read the card and understand it, feel free to just remember it's there, but otherwise ignore it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

The safety card is not connected to the ECM. There is no way for the ECM to know if you have read the safety card.

Everybody gets caught from time to time and when you press the start button, nothing happens. Did not press the mode button hard enough or too soon. The kill switch is not in the run position. It's in gear. So on a SM, the clutch lever has to be pulled in. On a SE the brake pedal has to be pressed down and held.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    On a SE the brake pedal has to be pressed down and held.
    Only if you shut if off in gear. If you shifted to neutral before shutting it off, you don't need to touch the brake. On a side note, if you shut it off in gear, it will automatically shift to neutral once it's started.

Spyder Garage

Then there are the others that turn the key ON, then put on their helmet and gloves while the computer is booting, then finally press the ECO/MODE and start buttons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    it will automatically shift to neutral once it's started.
    not quite,,,,,,,if shut off in gear, have to press brake, it will start, the shift to neutral. Not other way around

YOU GOT IT, HAD TO RE-READ
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I have never read the safety card on my F3L. Heck...I don't even know how to get to it. Pushing the mode button to acknowledge that I did has always been good enough to get going.

PS...don't rat me out to BRP.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I just went to the garage sat on the bike and did as follows: Kill switch is ALWAYS ON. Turned on the key, pressed the brake, and Bike ( I have a SM6) in neutral with lever pulled in, pressed the mode button and saw the following:
    "Please remove left access panel and read safety card. Then press Eco/mode button."
    If I did not do that in that order the bike will not start. Also, the digital message keeps repeating UNTIL, I life up the access panel, and press eco button. THEN the digital readout STOPS and the bike will start.
    So maybe BRP is physiologically screwing with me knowing the bike will not start unless I comply with there requirements?
    Otherwise since there is no pressure switch attached to the access panel, something else is going on?
    PS Eco/Mode switch was replaced in June
    Rotax

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Poltergeist????

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rotax - turn on the key and WAIT. Don’t do anything else.

AFTER the safety card message appears on the screen, THEN push the Mode button. The safety card screen will then clear and you can continue with the startup.

Based on what you described, you’re simply pressing the button too soon.

The ECM does not know if you removed the panel and read the card. It’s on the honor system.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Only if you shut if off in gear. If you shifted to neutral before shutting it off, you don't need to touch the brake. On a side note, if you shut it off in gear, it will automatically shift to neutral once it's started.
    Huh! What are you trying to say that's different.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The best use of the safety card on the RT is pull it out and drop it down as a shade for the cluster if the sun is shining onto the cluster. Keeps the cluster from getting too warm and blanking out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

OMG im getting a chuckle out of this I forgot about pressing the break pedal one day luckily nobody was looking!

Snowbelt Spyder says it all,just wait for the message next time then press MODE.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm going to give it a try right now Doug and I will let you
    know. Time now is 16:35
    Thanks
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

Doug,
    Well done!
    16:45
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax View Post
    Doug,
    Well done!
    Rotax
    Yep.....I also have a 16 F3......all that is happening when you remove the panel is adding “Elapsed time”. It has nothing to do with preventing you starting the bike per se and is certainly not a required step, as you have now found from Doug’s advice����. Sometimes our imagination runs away with us .

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax View Post
    Doug,
    Well done!
    Rotax
    There you go. What most of us do then, Rotax, is walk up to the machine and turn the key on right away. Then put on our helmet, etc. By the time that's done, the system has booted up and the safety card screen is up on the display. Push the Mode button and then go enjoy your air bath.

And by the way - a lot of pre-owned machines don't have their owner's guides anymore. If you need one, click this link and go to this web page. In the upper left drop down menu, select Roadster, select your year and continue selecting until you have selected your machine. Then just download the document to your computer as you normally download any document. Stay safe and watch out for deer.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...9-23a9880d6c93

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

BRP has half fixed this with newer models. On my 2018 F3L. I can press the mode button almost immediately after turning on the key. Maybe a 1 second delay needed before pressing the mode button. So the time delay thing is fixed. But you still need to do that dumb a$$ step of pressing the mode button.

So I can climb on mine. Turn on the key. Press the mode button. Press the start button. But can't put it in gear until the gauge sweep has happened. Maybe a couple seconds wait. If I am really fast that day.

2018 F3 LIMITED