Spyder Garage

Default How to tell if wheel nut recall was completed

Hi, I bought a 2019 Ryker a few weeks ago and the dealer I got it from said they'd do the wheel nut recall before I picked it up. I just checked the can am site for recalls and it's showing as not completed for my VIN. Is there any visual way to confirm it was completed? Are the nuts visibly different? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

As far as I know there is no visible difference. I'd contact the dealer and let them know that according to Can Am's site, it still hasn't been logged as done and ask them again if they did it..
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Easy, if your wheel falls off, then it wasn't completed.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I believe that the 'post recall' nuts had one 'point' with a cut-out in it...

See post #54 on Page 3 of this thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ghlight=Recall
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I believe that the 'post recall' nuts had one 'point' with a cut-out in it...

See post #54 on Page 3 of this thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ghlight=Recall
    On the old nuts ALL the teeth have the same shape. On the new nuts one side of one tooth will be cut at a shallower angle/depth. Probably the best way to spot this is to remove the red safety lock? rings, and look straight on. This picture is from post #54 Thanks Peter. picture does explain it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Make sure that you vigilant about getting this done when mine were changed one was found to be split.20200328_144952.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Easy, if your wheel falls off, then it wasn't completed.
    Well rats, you beat me to the same response. Strikes me as a BMW owner response (disclaimer: until recently we had a '93 K75S and now have a 2018 G310R)

Wait, I just noticed you're from Alamogordo. We were there (on Desert Lakes Drive) from 1996 to 1998 when my bride was Deputy Director of Logistics at Holloman, and came back in 2000 when she retired. Had to move in 2002 because both our parents, living in San Antonio, became ill and we needed to be much closer. We miss the town and the high desert and visit as often as we can.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Well rats, you beat me to the same response. Strikes me as a BMW owner response (disclaimer: until recently we had a '93 K75S and now have a 2018 G310R)

Wait, I just noticed you're from Alamogordo. We were there (on Desert Lakes Drive) from 1996 to 1998 when my bride was Deputy Director of Logistics at Holloman, and came back in 2000 when she retired. Had to move in 2002 because both our parents, living in San Antonio, became ill and we needed to be much closer. We miss the town and the high desert and visit as often as we can.
    Just noticed that you are living in San Antonio. Bought my first BMW (R75/5) in 1972 from William Walter BMW, the then BMW Dealer in San Antonio. Lived in Kerrville at the time. My Grand parents built a summer place in 1932 on the Guadalupe river one mile west of Hunt on the South Fork. Still in the Family. The Texas Hill country, my favorite part of Texas. I happen to have a 310GS that have ridden to Timberon several times. Been all over the place here in Alamogordo since we moved here last December. Even have one of the upcomming R1800's on order.....

Next time you head out this way PM me and we will shake hands.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Thank you all, I went out to compare my wheel nuts to the pic above and discovered that the recall was not done as I was told by the dealer and that one of mine is in fact cracked. Scary.

Spyder Garage

Since I recently purchased a 2019 Ryker Rally, this recall notice had me concerned. I called BRP today and provided my VIN. I was advised my machine is not on the recall list. I was told the machines are built in batches and it was the machines between September and November that were on this wheel nut recall. I was advised there was no need to replace the nuts on my machine. I'm sure I still will be inspecting them for some time though!
    2013 ST LTD; 2019 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lebon View Post
    Since I recently purchased a 2019 Ryker Rally, this recall notice had me concerned. I called BRP today and provided my VIN. I was advised my machine is not on the recall list. I was told the machines are built in batches and it was the machines between September and November that were on this wheel nut recall. I was advised there was no need to replace the nuts on my machine. I'm sure I still will be inspecting them for some time though!
    That's weird because the previous word out of BRP was that it was the Rykers made in early 2019. Mine was on the recall list and I had my nuts updated. I bought it in March of 2019.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    That's weird because the previous word out of BRP was that it was the Rykers made in early 2019. Mine was on the recall list and I had my nuts updated. I bought it in March of 2019.
    It's not the "buy" date, but the "build" date that is important. You can find the build date at upper right hand corner of VIN tag. I bought my Rally on July 16, 2019, but the build date is 10/18 (139th model built). I still have the original wheel nuts on it. I do look at them once in a while but not very concerned. I have had no other problems except for slightly crooked handlebars which I corrected myself after my dealer (25 miles away) told me how to adjust over the phone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    It's not the "buy" date, but the "build" date that is important. You can find the build date at upper right hand corner of VIN tag. I bought my Rally on July 16, 2019, but the build date is 10/18 (139th model built). I still have the original wheel nuts on it. I do look at them once in a while but not very concerned. I have had no other problems except for slightly crooked handlebars which I corrected myself after my dealer (25 miles away) told me how to adjust over the phone.
    I know but I was responding to him saying that he was told that machines built between September and November of 2019 were affected. We already know that the very first Rykers were NOT affected and there were not any nut cracking issues until machines built early of 2019.

Then the nut recall started late last summer.

And he is now saying that he was told September and November was when the issue was.

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify I did not say Sept and November of 2019. I just said September and November. The bike was purchased from the dealer in the Spring of 2019 thus, the bike would have been built prior to that. I just reviewed the VIN tag on the bike the the date says 01/19.
    2013 ST LTD; 2019 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

I am noticing just as many nuts walking around as there ever was. Just watch the news if you don't believe it. If there was a nut recall, it failed.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I am noticing just as many nuts walking around as there ever was. Just watch the news if you don't believe it. If there was a nut recall, it failed.
    GOOD ONE!