Spyder Garage

Default Over heating at idle

Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 rss spyder. I parked a bike I want to say few month ago after my last ride and I didn't start or anything this pass week I went to start the bike an dit was dead so I gave a boost and she started right up I walked away rondo something else when I got back to the bike about 20 mins later I got the limp mode and over heat warning and I hade 7 bard on the temp gauge I turn the bike off immediately so she can cool down then I notice anitnfreeze coming from the bottom of the bike..and yes the fan kick on. I'm wondering water pump is done?

Any help please I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
    Julio

Spyder Garage

It's never good to let an engine idle that long, as a general rule. Still, it should not have overheated. But not enough information to give you any assistance. You need to find out where the coolant was coming from. Then we can offer possible solutions.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for ur reply, after the bike heated up and I turned it off a few mins later coolant was coming from under the bike i could see excslty but it stop as soon as bike cooled off.

So let me get this straight these bike should idle that long with out moving? Funny u say thay cause my friend did a coolant flush yesterday to the same bike as mine and they let it run for more then twenty minties and the gauge never passed 5 bars then fan came on. The fan on my bike came on as well but bike still over heated.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Juejue97 the big problem is the leak, than the over heat.. You should find where the leak is, if I was to guess look at the clamps make sure they are tight and make sure the fill tank cap is good and the cap is on tight. Now for over heating Make sure the radiators are clean and not clogged with debris, make sure it has been filled with fresh clean antifreeze. (maybe do a flush of your system). Now sitting and idle for 20 min is a long time and under some conditions it may get hot (over heat). But should be ok if your system is good I.E. fans, fresh coolant, thermostat, clean radiators and good water pump. So its a process of elimination starting with fixing the leak.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I just went thru the same thing yesterday evening. Turned out one of my hose clamps failed and the bike exhibited the same issues - i actually was able to pull the hose off the fitting today by hand as the clamp was trashed. Replaced with a screw type clamp and repaired today.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

My Spyder did the exact same thing some years ago. Culprit was a pinhole leak in the overflow tank. In fact,it pinhole leaked square in my face. Replaced with new and it hasn’t done it since. I assume on an RSS, lots less Tupperware,might be readily obvious.
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Juejue97 View Post
    Thank you for ur reply, after the bike heated up and I turned it off a few mins later coolant was coming from under the bike i could see excslty but it stop as soon as bike cooled off.

So let me get this straight these bike should idle that long with out moving? Funny u say thay cause my friend did a coolant flush yesterday to the same bike as mine and they let it run for more then twenty minties and the gauge never passed 5 bars then fan came on. The fan on my bike came on as well but bike still over heated.
    It's just not good to idle any engine for 20 minutes. Doesn't mean it should overheat. Idling for 20 minutes is not reason your Spyder overheated. 2 separate issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Make sure your radiator fins are clean. Could be full of bugs and debris, not letting enough air through. If you clean them out with water pressure or air hose, stay straight on so that you don't bend the fins.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

My leak was the header tank and a known problem which I understand was upgraded at some point. New tank not expensive or difficult. Mine had no issue under I topped it up shortly after buying - previous owner clearlt didn't!