Thread: Fresh Oil

Spyder Garage

Default Fresh Oil

Due for an oil change right now. Before I put it on its winter nap how many miles would it constitute a fresh oil change 500 10000 15000 Etc.?
    I could put anywhere from 1000 to 2000 miles in Wisconsin after the oil change depending on the weather of course.
    Do I want to change it that early?

Spyder Garage

Your going to get all kinds of answers to this one up and down the scale! I would say with a good oil you could just wait for your mileage you regularly change at! Some, change before they put it up no matter what you have for mileage on oil , because they don't want the used oil in it all winter long! And it will be all set to go as soon as the roads clear in the spring! Good Luck, do what makes you happy!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go by the manual; if it said to change every 9000 than that is when you change it. You will not hurt the oil by sitting for a little while (winter). You should do something about gas tho.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Your avatar looks like you have a 1330 RT, correct? If so, how many miles on the current oil & filter? If it isn't 9,300 - 9,500, run it to 9,300 or a shade longer and change it. I agree w/- CopperSpyder about both the oil and gas.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Sorry yes1330.
    Yes within 1000 miles from the 9300.
    But is I change it then I feel zill be putting another 1000 plus on the new oil.
    So the question is a 1000 before a nap time to much to be classified as a fresh oil change?
    Yes battery and gas will be taken care of.
    Thanks

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sgerksinwi View Post
    So the question is a 1000 before a nap time to much to be classified as a fresh oil change?
    IMO, absolutely not a problem. Based on my experience with Amsoil 10W40 and oil analysis reports of it, I wouldn't be afraid to run it until nap time, then wait until spring to change it. The concerns about moisture, etc., accumulating in the crankcase over the winter are greatly overblown.

You suppose I should go hide under a flame proof blanket now?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ...The concerns about moisture, etc., accumulating in the crankcase over the winter are greatly overblown.
    We do hear of riders who tell us they go out and start the bike and run it a bit during hibernation; that's a guarantee for condensation build up over winter. Park it an leave the engine off until it's time to bring it out of hibernation.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Due for an oil change right now. Before I put it on its winter nap how many miles would it constitute a fresh oil change 500 10000 15000 Etc.?
    I could put anywhere from 1000 to 2000 miles in Wisconsin after the oil change depending on the weather of course.
    The fact is. You can do just about anything with your oil and find someone who will agree with it. Oil opinions are all over (and sometimes completely off) the map!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can wait if you and do it in the spring. But if you planning on riding more this extremely warm season then change it.

Spyder Garage

If I was unlucky enough to live in a location where I couldn't ride year round I think I would just make sure the last ride of the season was a good long one, put it away for the winter and not crank it till riding time in spring. That way everything would have a good coating of oil and any moisture would be driven off from the remaining heat. I am of the opinion that short runs, with long periods of inactivity between, can lead to problems.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Sorry yes1330.
    Yes within 1000 miles from the 9300.
    But is I change it then I feel zill be putting another 1000 plus on the new oil.
    Yes battery and gas will be taken care of.
    Thanks
    We're from WI too. I change the oil once per year, just before storage regardless of mileage, whether I'm gonna be a little over or under. Once it's changed I don't ride anymore til spring
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

1000 miles on fresh oil put up for winter and ride next year until oil change is ready.

Good to go!

Spyder Garage

If it’s a 1330cc Amsoil V Twin 20/50 9300 miles as per BRP schedule

Spyder Garage

Also from WI. If you change the oil now, put 2K on it till storage and change it out in spring, you are dumping out perfectly good oil. Make sure your last ride is one that fully heats up the oil. Don't start it up over winter. A good quality synthetic is plenty good to keep using until your next oil change interval.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue