Spyder Garage

Default Peter Aawen - more on editing/deleting posts?

Peter,

I posted yesterday, and edited it at least 3 times. After my final edit, I checked back a little while later and there were no additional responses to that thread. So, I'm just wondering, do you go thru all posts even those that were edited, and can you bring forth those that no longer exist? Just curious. Also, I think one of my edited versions did mention other's and others'. The reason I had edited my post was that it was getting to far off track; the thread was not originally intended to point out spelling or grammatical errors, and I should not have responded to that other member's post. Have a good day.

Oh, by the way, I had originally typed members.

Spyder Garage

Not really sure what you're asking/saying here Wyliec, but I assume you're talking about your posts in the 'in the bedroom thread', so I'll say this once again for everyone... PLEASE, think before you post anything, so that once posted it can stay where it is/as it is; and PLEASE, once you've posted anything, try very hard NOT to delete or substantially remove chunks of those posts.

For what it's worth - between us all, the Mods here do TRY to check on anything that gets posted, but that doesn't necessarily happen straight away, cos we've all got lives away from the Forum. So if you post up something and then go back to 'edit' it and remove portions of it, then unless it's been quoted somewhere, there's a good chance that whatever you've taken away has, for all intents & purposes (outside of the User Logs) gone!! That said, if you've really stuffed up & need something removed, then we'd much rather you asked a Mod instead of substantially changing your post - cos we (the Mods) do have access to facilities that allow us to remove entire posts from public view while still leaving them where the search engines can find them without hurting the Forum quite so much as deleting them or editing big chunks of them does!

However, if it's been even just saaay 3-5 minutes or so since you posted something up, we'd much rather that you DID NOT edit them to delete big chunks of those posts you've already made, or substantially remove parts of them, because that DOES hurt the Forum's standing with all the Search Engines, dropping us down the lists of search results and therefore hurting the businesses of the owner and all of the sponsors here; and if that behaviour becomes too damaging, then ultimately it could threaten the viability of continuing to run the place!! How'd you like it if someone came into your place, started trashing it, and doing other things that cost you income?? Cos that's effectively what deleting threads/posts OR substantially changing them &/OR removing chunks is doing!! Of course, making any spelling &/or grammatical changes, adding info or links etc, or other things that don't substantially remove big chunks of your already made posts won't be such an issue; so they're fine, but due to people doing the wrong thing by the Edit facility, that facility has been restricted to only allow edits within just one day and any continued abuse of the facility may well threaten even that!

So be warned, those users who frequently ignore that request NOT to delete or substantially change their posts AFTER putting them up just might find themselves subject to more 'moderator oversight' than they'd prefer! It's much safer to THINK BEFORE YOU POST, so that once posted, you don't need to edit your post for anything but spelling or grammar corrections or adding links &/or pertinent info!

Oh, and just by the way, this sort of thing probably should be done via PM; or if it's important that everyone should be able to read it, then it should probably go in the Forum Support & Testing section, not the Off Topic section. So I'll move it over to Forum Support & Testing now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added thread info
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've got another question about editing.
    I made a post, including a, to me, humorous title.
    After some thought I changed the title a little bit to add more information.
    The edited title doesn't show up in any search. Only the original title without the complete information shows up under "What's New?" search.
    What's up with that ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I've got another question about editing.
    I made a post, including a, to me, humorous title.
    After some thought I changed the title a little bit to add more information.
    The edited title doesn't show up in any search. Only the original title without the complete information shows up under "What's New?" search.
    What's up with that ?
    Changes like that, of late, do not seem to show up instantly. I make a post and it takes about 5 minutes to show up in the queue. There is no delay system built in that I know of though. If your changes "took" they will show up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Are you talking about a 'thread title' on the first post in a thread?? Or a 'post title' that you or I could add to our posts here?? There is also some of what AR's mentioned above, but still....

Many people don't ever get to see 'post titles', instead only seeing the 'thread title' that was entered by the OP with the first post, which can only be changed by a Mod/Admin, or by the OP thru Advanced Edit on the first post in the thread during the open window for editing. So really, if it's the post title you're asking about, anyone putting anything into that post title field needs to understand it's not going to be seen by all & so it is not going to be very helpful; which means editing it will be even less helpful... except for those who might get to see it!

However, if it's the 'thread title' you are talking about, and you as the Original Poster in the thread were actually changing the Title field on the first post, that should change once you've update that field..... but YOU won't see that in your 'New Posts' search results until after someone else posts in that thread - if you go into the thread you started and make an edit during the open window period, then it's no longer a 'New Post' for you & so shouldn't even appear in those results/on that screen until someone else posts a 'reply to thread' - if it still is appearing on your search results screen, then it's most likely because you've hit the back arrow & returned to the old results from before you made the change, so it will still display the old title.

It should appear under the new/revised title if you hit Quick Links (4 links over fm New Posts in the menu bar that starts below Home) and then Today's Posts in the drop down list, but even then it'll show up as you having read that post/thread already, cos it's not a 'New Post' to you since you hadta open it/read the thread to make the edit!

Make sense??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Link details
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Here's what I see under "What's New"

post.JPG

And here's my post

Post 1.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

ThreeWheels, Is that 'What's New' title a snapshot from After your title change AND AFTER someone else has posted a new post in that thread since you made your title change?? If it's not, then as I suggested earlier, you are probably simpy looking at an 'old' version of that search result - usually done by using the back arrow instead of doing a whole 'new' search for all the most recent changes via 'What's New', or maybe even just refreshing the page?!?

Still, no matter how you get at 'What's New' after your title change but before anyone else has actually added a new post to the thread, if it's still showing your thread in the 'What's New' results and no new posts have been added since you were last in there, you are looking at old results!! That could possibly be because that page is still held in your device's buffer & hasn't been refreshed cos there haven't been any changes yet?! But regardless of how you get there, if there's no new post in that thread yet, then that thread SHOULD NOT be appearing in any fresh 'New Posts' search results for you - cos it's not NEW to you any more, you were in there recently (with the old title) and nothing has yet been added to that thread to flag it up as a 'What's New' item for you! Make sense??

So, have you backed right out of that thread to the main index page & then entered that Forum section by drilling down thru the indexes; or have you used the 'Quick Links' method outlined earlier to check & see what the 'Thread Title' appears like that way?? If you have done then it should show your revised title, IF you actually changed the THREAD title AND you're not looking at an 'old' version of the Search Results. I've checked, and it certainly shows what looks like the 'new' title for me, if this: Satisfied my CDO About the Blank Switch With Garage Door Opener is your latest version of the title..... is it??

If all else fails, log out of the Forum, clear your Cookies & History, maybe even re-start your device, and only once you've done that, re-enter the system, log in, and DON'T SEARCH for your thread using 'What's New', instead, drill down thru the Index pages until you find it that way - I'd be surprised if the Forum software doesn't show you the 'latest' title if you do that. Just as it should after anyone else (ie, NOT YOU!) adds anything to that thread!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!