Spyder Garage

Default How do I get the connector off the Rear Indicator wires?

Anyone know how to get the connector housing off the wires so you get the nut off that holds the indicator to the side panel. Any help would be appreciated. Model is a 2013 RSS. Cheers Paul
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2020 at 03:54 AM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....
    2013 RS S , Baja Rons plugs and wires Green

Spyder Garage

Need more info! Maybe a picture of this thing your trying to take a part!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It should just click and slide out

Spyder Garage

I am wanting to fit a new rear indicator but the nut will not go over the connectors, so I figured maybe the connectors can be removed.

Spyder Garage

please if taking rail/brake light off think there are 2 bolts each housing one on side & other on back of housing units look at parts view on https://www.cheapcycleparts.com see exploded view of all associated parts have found it helpful before diving in a project.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

DSC_0352.jpg
    I would like to remove connectors so I can get the nut off to attach indicator ass'y to sidecover

Spyder Garage

Any chance dismantling the light end would let you slide the nuts off the wires that way??

If not, you could try sliding a pin into the wire end of the connectors to release the brass terminal bits inside those placcy blocks, then pull the wire & brass terminals out of the large placcy block bit of the connector & out thru the nut individually then reverse the process after mounting them onto the side covers.... 'bout that one either, but it might be worth a try....

Failing either of those proving viable, it'll probably mean you'll hafta cut the wires halfway(ish) down their free length; remove the nuts etc off the assy; fit the indicator assy onto the Spyder/Ryker side cover; then re-join the wires using solder & heatshrink covers to make them weatherproof & real proper good type joins!

Sorry that I can't offer anything else; and that our Aussie ADR's are so short sighted as to require those dirty great 'elephant's ears' type indicators in an attempt to make sure they are wide enough apart and large enough to be clearly seen by all the blind as a bat numpties driving on our roads - despite the ample evidence to show they're no better at doing that than the indicators used in other parts of the world!! There again, at least we don't hafta fit those massive 'pedestrian friendly' bumpers that many vehicles scored elsewhere!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2020 at 02:47 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Absalom View Post
    DSC_0352.jpg
    I would like to remove connectors so I can get the nut off to attach indicator ass'y to sidecover
    If you look straight down the inside of the connector you should see a small opening next to each pin/blade connector. This is where you insert a thin tool to release that pin/blade from the housing allowing you to pull the wire with connector out.
    This link may not be the correct tool, but gives you the type of tool you need.
    https://www.molex.com/molex/products...lin/2002220700

If all else fails you could always cut the wires and then reattach them using wire connectors, or solder and heat shrink tubing.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If the inside of those clips are a pin connection that tool that PW's talking about looks like a small pipe that fits tightly down over the pin and pushes the little lock that holds the pin in, then you pull it threw the back! Like said above other than that cut and splice heat shrink!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I think I managed to get one connector through the nut at a time with much fiddling and wiggling. But that was years ago now.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Figured it out. Connectors do not have to be removed. The hole in side cover has been designed so everything fits through. I wish the manual mentioned this. Thanks to all for posting. Cheers: Paul

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Absalom View Post
    Figured it out. Connectors do not have to be removed. The hole in side cover has been designed so everything fits through. I wish the manual mentioned this. Thanks to all for posting. Cheers: Paul
    Thanks for letting us know!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Ya< I got my bike back from the shop and was washing it, I leaned on my mirror to hard and my magic mirror released the mirror and down it went!!! I looked down on the ground and there to my eyes laded a mirror with the pig tail hanging out with no plug housing, WTH!!! But I can tell you that the plug can be taken apart, not easy but it can be done!! Like said above after you take the little cover plate off over the pins, reach in there and release the little tab and push the pin out the back, then I soldered the pin to the wire and installed it back in the plug!! I got it, but it was touch and go for a bit!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Look on you tube for a video of pin removal on waterproof connectors. That my help more than a written explanation.