Spyder Garage

Default Remove Side Panels & Install Zumo XT on a 2020 Can-AM RTL

I posted this a few weeks ago based on the instructions from Jetfixer here and Lamonster doing my GPS wiring: https://youtu.be/YGLGiz7Ho9g I am NOT an expert by any means, but am not afraid to learn from them. It explains taking the side panels off the 2020 RTL. You may have to pause it to read some instructions.

Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for making this video. It was very helpful when I installed my Zumo XT.
    Fuelly: 35.2avg MPG
    2020 Spyder RT Limited (Petrol Metallic w/Chrome)
    1. Lamonster Mount 2.0 with Dual Power Plates
    2020 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KeithInAurora View Post
    Thanks very much for making this video. It was very helpful when I installed my Zumo XT.
    Glad it helped.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I can’t figure out where the dead plug is you’re using to wire it in. All the plugs look like they have wires going in and out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    I can’t figure out where the dead plug is you’re using to wire it in. All the plugs look like they have wires going in and out.
    It's the plug in the yellow box. The connector (with the wires) is held in a dummy connector on the bike. Squeeze the tab on top (bottom?) of the connector and it will pop right out. NOTE: the polarity MAY be backwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Oh ok! That real small one. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    It's the plug in the yellow box. The connector (with the wires) is held in a dummy connector on the bike. Squeeze the tab on top (bottom?) of the connector and it will pop right out. NOTE: the polarity MAY be backwards.
    I'm with you to a point. First, will the inline fuse on the XT wires fish through ok along the steering column into the right panel area? I assume it will but the pass through space from above looks pretty small. Second, There is a black and red wire from the Zumo. Is there a black and red wire in the dummy connector as well or different colors? I don't have any connectors nor know which type to use? Can go to the auto store I imagine. How do I insure the polarity before hooking up which wires? They say it can be reversed. I only a basic tester to see if a wire is hot, nothing more. Just need help on the connecting part detail of which seems to be lacking in most of the videos.

Spyder Garage

The wires on mine are red and black but in my instance the black was hot and the red was ground.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

So when you wired the XT to the vacant power plug inside the right panels what type wiring was there? Two black and white wires that you remove from that connector? Was there a matching red and black wire there as well and so did you connect the red to black and black to red given the reversed polarity. What type connector did you use?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    I'm with you to a point. First, will the inline fuse on the XT wires fish through ok along the steering column into the right panel area? I assume it will but the pass through space from above looks pretty small. Second, There is a black and red wire from the Zumo. Is there a black and red wire in the dummy connector as well or different colors? I don't have any connectors nor know which type to use? Can go to the auto store I imagine. How do I insure the polarity before hooking up which wires? They say it can be reversed. I only a basic tester to see if a wire is hot, nothing more. Just need help on the connecting part detail of which seems to be lacking in most of the videos.
    So when you wired the XT to the vacant power plug inside the right panels what type wiring was there? Two black and white wires that you remove from that connector? Was there a matching red and black wire there as well and so did you connect the red to black and black to red given the reversed polarity. What type connector did you use?
    If you want to wire up your XT, either you'll need to find the correct female plug (which seemed just about impossible to find) or you need to clip the wires from the plug. You'll need one of those circuit testers with the little light bulb to see which is hot. Clip one end to a known ground (I think I just used one of the body bolts) and touch the pointy end to the red wire. If the bulb glows, you've found the hot. If it doesn't, touch the pointy end to the other wire. If neither wire lights up the bulb, check your fuses.

Yes, the fuse holder will make it all the way down to that plug. I removed the right speaker cover to fish the wires down. Snaps off and snaps back on.

Spyder Garage

If you want to wire up your XT, either you'll need to find the correct female plug (which seemed just about impossible to find) or you need to clip the wires from the plug. You'll need one of those circuit testers with the little light bulb to see which is hot. Clip one end to a known ground (I think I just used one of the body bolts) and touch the pointy end to the red wire. If the bulb glows, you've found the hot. If it doesn't, touch the pointy end to the other wire. If neither wire lights up the bulb, check your fuses.

Yes, the fuse holder will make it all the way down to that plug. I removed the right speaker cover to fish the wires down. Snaps off and snaps back on.
    Reading more posts I think I have the hang of it. Need to get a tester and decide which connectors to use. Maybe what you used. Once I determine the hot wire on the RT then that will be connected to the red wire on the Zumo XT wiring, isn't that correct? From the pics the RT wiring is not black and red but black and a yellowish I believe? Whatever it is I just need to make sure with the tester that it is hot to hot wires. Thnx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reading more posts I think I have the hang of it. Need to get a tester and decide which connectors to use. Maybe what you used. Once I determine the hot wire on the RT then that will be connected to the red wire on the Zumo XT wiring, isn't that correct? From the pics the RT wiring is not black and red but black and a yellowish I believe? Whatever it is I just need to make sure with the tester that it is hot to hot wires. Thnx
    You can find the testers at almost any auto parts store (i.e. O'Reillys, Autozone, NAPA, etc). They're cheap, usually under 10 bucks.

On the XT, red is hot (12v), black is ground. No matter the color of the wire on the bike, as long as you get hot to hot and ground to ground, you'll be fine.

Spyder Garage

You can find the testers at almost any auto parts store (i.e. O'Reillys, Autozone, NAPA, etc). They're cheap, usually under 10 bucks.

On the XT, red is hot (12v), black is ground. No matter the color of the wire on the bike, as long as you get hot to hot and ground to ground, you'll be fine.
    Think I'll go with the Posi-tap connectors. Do you remember if your colored wire or black wire was hot? Of course I'll check anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think I'll go with the Posi-tap connectors. Do you remember if your colored wire or black wire was hot? Of course I'll check anyway.
    On the bike side? Could be either way. That's why you need to test it with a light. On the XT, the red is hot, black is ground. Once you have the connections done, it wouldn't hurt to wrap the connections well with electrical tape. Probably doesn't need it but it's one more thing to help keep a little bit of water out and to keep things from loosening up.