Thread: oil question

Spyder Garage

Default oil question

My buddy picked up oil for a change on my spyder. He picked up a full synthetic euro blend meeting API SN/CF requirements. It is not a motorcycle oil. would it be ok in a 2011 spyder with the 990 engine and se5 transmission.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

If it does not say for motorcycle I wouldn’t use it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Jaso 1 or 2 rated is best. I think that oil you mentioned will cause clutch problems.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Tell your friend to RTFM, at least regarding the API service codes for the oil he wants to use in his Spyder. As Lew said, he could be inviting clutch problems.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys it's what I thought. just hate returning things
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Use it in your car or truck not your Spyder. Get a good motorcycle oil Jaso 1 or 2 as Lew said. Get it at any auto store or Walmart, I use Mobil 1 T4 Motorcycle oil, there are cheaper Motorcycle oils also that will work well in the Spyder.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The oils that are for wet clutch applications will say that, either on the oil bottles or on the spec sheets.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The SE5 has a very particular clutch. Not all motorcycle rated oils will work well with it. Some have used an oil that worked fine in their previous 2 wheeled, wet clutch motorcycle. Only to find out that it slipped the clutch on their SE5. I don't know if it has something to do with weak clutch springs or clutch disk compounds used. I suspect a bit of both. But I can tell you that it is quite an expensive proposition to replace that clutch pack. Some of my customers caught the problem right away, changed oil and were fine. But many don't notice the clutch slipping until it is too late.

The JASO rating is a measurement of relative friction being created at the clutch plates. This is how it breaks out from the lowest friction rating to the highest. Highest being best for the clutch. The lower in the rating you go, the more you risk clutch slippage.
    MB
    MA1
    MA
    MA2

This rating pattern, to me, is a bit confusing. I would think that MA1 should come after MA. But when you read the technical articles about how JASO ratings are determined, it makes more sense. But you can bypass all the unnecessary jargon by following these simple guidelines.

Once you've found a suitable viscosity (5w-40, 10w-40 or 15w-40). Or, for very hot climates, even a 20w-50 is ok Then look for these 2 ratings. In my opinion, you really want a JASO rating of MA2, as mentioned above. And you also want to avoid any oil that is SM rated. The SM rating indicates that friction modifiers have been added. Great for everywhere that you don't want friction. Which is everywhere but the clutch. While it is true that some SM rated oils will work fine in the SE5 clutch. If you are not sure of a particular product. I highly suggest passing it by for a non SM rated oil.

Treat the SE5 clutch right and it will last the life of the vehicle. I've got several customers with well over 100,000 miles on their SE5 with zero clutch problems.

Bottom line, I would not recommend any lubricant for the SE5 that was less than JASO MA2 rated. Because even within each rating there is a spread. Some lubricants may just barley edge into their given category. Whereas others may be at the top of that category. Getting a JASO MA2 rated oil means that even if it just barely made the cut, it's still good to go in the SE5. Anything else means you may be playing the test bunny with your Spyder.

It seems that BRP has fixed this situation in the SE6. The SE6 clutch pack is much more forgiving. so you don't have to be nearly as concerned.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-25-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The SE5 has a very particular clutch. Not all motorcycle rated oils will work well with it. Some have used an oil that worked fine in their previous 2 wheeled, wet clutch motorcycle. Only to find out that it slipped the clutch on their SE5. I don't know if it has something to do with weak clutch springs or clutch disk compounds used. I suspect a bit of both. But I can tell you that it is quite an expensive proposition to replace that clutch pack. Some of my customers caught the problem right away, changed oil and were fine. But many don't notice the clutch slipping until it is too late.

The JASO rating is a measurement of relative friction being created at the clutch plates. This is how it breaks out from the lowest friction rating to the highest. Highest being best for the clutch. The lower in the rating you go, the more you risk clutch slippage.
    MB
    MA1
    MA
    MA2

This rating pattern, to me, is a bit confusing. I would think that MA1 should come after MA. But when you read the technical articles about how JASO ratings are determined, it make more sense. But you can bypass all the unnecessary jargon by following these simple guidelines.

Once you've found a suitable viscosity (5w-40, 10w-40 or 15w-40). Or, for very hot climates, even a 20w-50 is ok Then look for these 2 ratings. In my opinion, you really want a JASO rating of MA2, as mentioned above. And you also want to avoid any oil that is SM rated. The SM rating indicates that friction modifiers have been added. Great for everywhere that you don't want friction. Which is everywhere but the clutch. While it is true that some SM rated oils will work fine in the SE5 clutch. If you are not sure of a particular product. I highly suggest passing it by for a non SM rated oil.

Treat the SE5 clutch right and it will last the life of the vehicle. I've got several customers with well over 100,000 miles on their SE5 with zero clutch problems.

Bottom line, I would not recommend any lubricant for the SE5 that was less than JASO MA2 rated. Because even within each rating there is a spread. Some lubricants may just barley edge into their given category. Whereas others may be at the top of that category. Getting a JASO MA2 rated oil means that even if it just barely made the cut, it's still good to go in the SE5. Anything else means you may be playing the test bunny with your Spyder.

It seems that BRP has fixed this situation in the SE6. That clutch pack is much more forgiving.
    Listen to Ron. Knows what he's talking about!!

Spyder Garage

From the FM:
    Capture3.JPG
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S