Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTL Dash light for engine temp flickers while riding

Anyone know how to/ where you can acess wiring and terminations for this lamp?
    It doesn't seem to flicker when you just first turn the key on or at idle just before shutting off.
    While out riding last night it was out/flickering the majority of the time, but was on steady just before I turned the Spyder off at home.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your coolant level. If it's low, the light might flicker. I don't know this on a Spyder but it's true on cars.

Spyder Garage

2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Anyone know how to/ where you can acess wiring and terminations for this lamp?
    It doesn't seem to flicker when you just first turn the key on or at idle just before shutting off.
    While out riding last night it was out/flickering the majority of the time, but was on steady just before I turned the Spyder off at home.
    Ray - the instrument cluster is fed via a single 24 pin wire harness connector. All those indicator lamps are LEDs hard soldered to a circuit board. So, it's not like there are individual lamps and wires anymore. You'll want to focus on why the light was lit in the first place. Did you happen to cross check it with the temperature gauge to see if there was an actual high coolant temperature? As the others have said- check your coolant level and check your radiators for bugs. Appears to be telling you that there was an actual high temperature condition since it came on solid when you slowed down and stopped at home.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Ray - the instrument cluster is fed via a single 24 pin wire harness connector. All those indicator lamps are LEDs hard soldered to a circuit board. So, it's not like there are individual lamps and wires anymore. You'll want to focus on why the light was lit in the first place. Did you happen to cross check it with the temperature gauge to see if there was an actual high coolant temperature? As the others have said- check your coolant level and check your radiators for bugs. Appears to be telling you that there was an actual high temperature condition since it came on solid when you slowed down and stopped at home.
    Thanks, but just to be clear, the light I am talking about is the "backlighting of the gage", just like the Fuel gage has, not a warning type light. I will check coolant, but it was OK a few weeks ago and no leaks on ground, etc. and the needle for temp is in center of range - right now.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Oh. Sorry. Clearly we all thought you were referring to the warning indicator light. I've never pulled the display assembly myself. But plenty of folks on here have when they removed those analog gauges. Somebody will be able to tell you what's back in there and give you some more help. Stay safe.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks, but just to be clear, the light I am talking about is the "backlighting of the gage", just like the Fuel gage has, not a warning type light. I will check coolant, but it was OK a few weeks ago and no leaks on ground, etc. and the needle for temp is in center of range - right now.
    Ahhh... that threw me for a loop too...

So, if you remove the 4 screws from the instrument cluster bezel, the bezel will be loose enough to pop out. You may have to turn you handlebars to the left or right to get the bezel fully disengaged.

You will only have so much room to work with as there are wires going to the gauges. This wires can be gently pried off with a flat screwdriver or spudging tool. There will be 3 wires on one connection and one stand alone. Both sides are the same.

The back of the two meters will look like this although they will not have to be removed from the bezel.

As you can see in the pictures, the light bulb will be mounted in a little black holder that twists into place. Simply twist and remove, Change the bulb and remount the holder. After you get the wires back onto the gauges, test to make sure they work and remount the bezel to the dash.

All in all it's a 10-15 minute job.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Ray, go to the Picture 10 - Electrical System Front View after drilling down at this link: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ts-iframe.html. Look for Item 334, PN 219800181, LED Bulb, $3.09. Be certain the bulb is tightly connected. If it is and still flickers, three bucks is a cheap new bulb. If a new bulb flickers you've a faulty connection or possible short to ground back up the harness somewhere.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Ray, go to the Picture 10 - Electrical System Front View after drilling down at this link: https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ts-iframe.html. Look for Item 334, PN 219800181, LED Bulb, $3.09. Be certain the bulb is tightly connected. If it is and still flickers, three bucks is a cheap new bulb. If a new bulb flickers you've a faulty connection or possible short to ground back up the harness somewhere.
    JayBros, got to the bulb yesterday and pulled it out, looked at it (actually nothing to see for an LED bulb), took connectors off, pushed all back on and installed same bulb.
    Seemed to be working fine, until last night on a ride, after an hour or so, it stopped again and then flickered on and off periodically until we got home. I don't understand LED bulbs so I'm asking if this would indicate a bad bulb, versus a wiring issue?
    Going to see if my dealer has a bulb today and will get one, and hope it's NOT a wiring issue
    Any comment?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

One of my led bulbs that I had put in the fender tip lights started flickering last month. Failing bulb. Replaced. No issues since.

Doug

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

JayBros, got to the bulb yesterday and pulled it out, looked at it (actually nothing to see for an LED bulb), took connectors off, pushed all back on and installed same bulb.
    Seemed to be working fine, until last night on a ride, after an hour or so, it stopped again and then flickered on and off periodically until we got home. I don't understand LED bulbs so I'm asking if this would indicate a bad bulb, versus a wiring issue?
    Going to see if my dealer has a bulb today and will get one, and hope it's NOT a wiring issue
    Any comment?
    Not an expert on this, but my experience with LED's are they work or don't work sooooooooooooo my money is on loose or temp. ground issue .... ie. - wiring .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ray, electrics are not my strong suit but I would agree with Mike if a new bulb flickers there is a short to ground somewhere.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LED's can get temper mental . Some will flicker and may need a load resister. Now not sure if you have a good 12 volt source. Bulb issues or if there is a resister involved on the Spyders.

Its like my RPM light on my dash its either on or its off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Ray, electrics are not my strong suit but I would agree with Mike if a new bulb flickers there is a short to ground somewhere.
    Got a new bulb coming mid-week from dealer. I'll know then. Hope it's not the ground as I have no idea how to get to THAT point.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

OK, got new bulb in finally and NO ISSUES on flickering since.
    comment: noticed when I "studied" the old one, a hairline crack in the white (porcelain?) portion of the body assembly.
    Just noting for others, so you don't at first glance think the bulb isn't bad and go searching for a short somewhere.
    Ride safe
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Glad you got the problem fixed.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S