Spyder Garage

Default Where can I find accessory 12 vdc wires?

I know that Can Am generally installs a couple 12 vdc lines but for the life of me
    I can not locate where they are so cleverly hidden. Would some one please
    tell me where to look.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Anyone wanting to use a Garmin 61, beware that it only works on 5 vdc and not the
    lower voltage ones. At least that is what makes mine work.

Dray
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-24-2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    I know that Can Am generally installs a couple 12 vdc lines but for the life of me
    I can not locate where they are so cleverly hidden. Would some one please
    tell me where to look.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Anyone wanting to use a Garmin 61, beware that it only works on 5 vdc and not the
    lower voltage ones. At least that is what makes mine work.

Dray
    Don't know what type of bike you have, the RT's have a 12v outlet in the rear trunk. When I added my 12v outlet, I put it in one of the speaker grills and ran the power back to the lighting circuit. If you are only going to use electronics, then the load on that circuit is minimal.

The garmins actually run off USB voltage which is 5vdc. Most of the adapters they sell for use take the 12v and drop it down to 5v.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

My 2020 RT has two usb ports and one cigar type outlet. The usb ports are evidently
    3 vdc and a note comes up on my screen that says the cable connection will not charge
    my garmin. Also my house computer states the same thing. The cigar type outlet seems to be
    5 vdc. Just curious about the extra outlets.

Dray

Spyder Garage

There are wires ( un-used ) in the frunk. As your facing the frunk, they are behind everything on the right side, above the battery. Some here have put a cigarette lighter plug there. I wired in a pigtail for charging and it doubles as power for the Garmin.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2020 RT has two usb ports and one cigar type outlet. The usb ports are evidently
    3 vdc and a note comes up on my screen that says the cable connection will not charge
    my garmin. Also my house computer states the same thing. The cigar type outlet seems to be

Dray
    You have a bad charge cable. ALL USB ports are 5 volts dc. That's the standard. The cigarette outlet is 12 vdc.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

In addition to the circuit available tucked up by the battery, there is a gps specific power connector behind the right side service panel. But be aware that nearly all 2020's (mine included) are coming from the factory with the wires reversed in the connector. If you aren't going to use the factory gps wire harness, you can cut the connector off and splice your wires into these. Black is ground.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Dray
    Where is the cigar type outlet at on your 2020 RT ? My 2020 doesn't have one was this dealer or self installed
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    Where is the cigar type outlet at on your 2020 RT ? My 2020 doesn't have one was this dealer or self installed
    On my 2020RT +12V non-terminated and wrapped wires are above right side of battery - there is a cover/or circle that use can drill out (I forget) on back right side of frunk that you can install a 12V cig. lighter socket.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020