Spyder Garage

Question When Replacing Rear Tire Best To Replace Front Tires?

Nearing 10,000 miles on the rear tire, I'm in need to replace the rear tire for the FIRST time on my 2017 Spyder RT. I suspect I could get another 4,000 miles on the front tires.

Despite having the Spyder a couple years, I have some newbie questions when it comes to tires:

1) If I only replace the rear tire, is getting a full alignment/balancing recommended? I suspect it's a yes on balancing but not sure about alignment.

2) For those that have had their Spyder's longer than me, would you recommend getting all three tires replaced at the same time or just the back and wait to replace the front tires until they actually need to be replaced? Since I'll be having the dealer do this, I'm not sure if I would save that much in the long run delaying the front tire replacement to make the two trips worth it.

3) With the OEM tires, how many miles do people typically get out of the front tires? Assume no alignment issues here.

Thanks ahead of time for answering my questions and for the hand-holding!

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

My experience with mileage (question 3).

Owned six spyders now. Fronts, mostly 20-25K miles OEM Kendas. Rear, mostly 15K. One notable exception, 2014 had a soft rubber compound...that one went 8,900 miles for me.

Changed over to darkside tires on the 2014 last year...don't know the results at this time. 10K miles later, they still look like new.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Necessary? No, as fronts last much longer than rears. But .. You'll be much happier and satisfied if you switch over to car tires all at the same time. You'll be amazed.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm just parroting what I have read here for quite a while. Front tires and rear tire can be changed at different intervals.
    The alignment of the rear wheel will not change as long as you leave the adjusting screws alone. Proper belt alignment is when there is a credit card thickness between the belt and the rear flange.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    Nearing 10,000 miles on the rear tire, I'm in need to replace the rear tire for the FIRST time on my 2017 Spyder RT. I suspect I could get another 4,000 miles on the front tires.

Despite having the Spyder a couple years, I have some newbie questions when it comes to tires:

1) If I only replace the rear tire, is getting a full alignment/balancing recommended? I suspect it's a yes on balancing but not sure about alignment.

2) For those that have had their Spyder's longer than me, would you recommend getting all three tires replaced at the same time or just the back and wait to replace the front tires until they actually need to be replaced? Since I'll be having the dealer do this, I'm not sure if I would save that much in the long run delaying the front tire replacement to make the two trips worth it.

3) With the OEM tires, how many miles do people typically get out of the front tires? Assume no alignment issues here.

If you can take off the front wheels almost any place that does tires can mount and balance them ..... 90% of all dealers are going to make you buy more Kenda tires ( but ask them over the phone, maybe you'll get lucky ) ..... I've owned three Spyders and after many rear tire changes, I didn't balance any of them .... accept to first one, never had an issue with not balancing them.... I have dozens of posts here about what the best tires are of what's being sold today ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Owned six spyders now. Fronts, mostly 20-25K miles OEM Kendas. Rear, mostly 15K. One notable exception, 2014 had a soft rubber compound...that one went 8,900 miles for me.
    Wow, 20-25K. Hmmm, looks like I'll just be replacing the rear tire then. Thanks.

- Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you can take off the front wheels almost any place that does tires can mount and balance them ..... 90% of all dealers are going to make you buy more Kenda tires ( but ask them over the phone, maybe you'll get lucky ) ..... I've owned three Spyders and after many rear tire changes, I didn't balance any of them .... accept to first one, never had an issue with not balancing them.... I have dozens of posts here about what the best tires are of what's being sold today ..... Mike
    Mike, you mentioned that any place that does rear tires can mount/balance them. How about the rear tires? Can most tire places do the rear tire?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike, you mentioned that any place that does rear tires can mount/balance them. How about the rear tires? Can most tire places do the rear tire?
    I meant to say FRONT tires ...... and most places that do Auto / pk-up trk. tires ..... even Walmart and Costco. ..... They should be able to do the rear also .... I didn't suggest that because the rear wheel is a bit more difficult to re-move .... there are a lot of video's on how it's done if you can manage it .... Fronts last a lot longer IF they are properly aligned ( even Crapenda's ) you will need fronts, so I would just get a pair and see how long the OEM's last ..... others here have given good info ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Fronts should last at least twice as long as the rear tire

On the 15 RT I put new tires on at 28,500 miles- pretty good for the OEM Kendas. On the wifes 16 F3T she put new Federal Formozas on at 40,180 mi and if I recall they still had some tread on them. Her Federals now have 26,000 miles on them and they still have another 20,000 I'd guess.

Half of the wifes miles come from her 75 mile daily commute - 60% interstate.. YMMV
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Her Federals now have 26,000 miles on them and they still have another 20,000 I'd guess.
    I have a pair of Formoza tires coming to go on the front. What are you and your wife's impessions?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I have a pair of Formoza tires coming to go on the front. What are you and your wife's impessions?
    Ann recommended them on her F3--- Great tires with large rain channels, they roll smooth with Lamonster centramatic balancers and the price was right including free mount at Walmart. And you can swab the wheels side to side as they're nondirectional.

IMG_1779[1].jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Ann recommended them on her F3--- Great tires with large rain channels, they roll smooth with Lamonster centramatic balancers and the price was right including free mount at Walmart. And you can swab the wheels side to side as they're nondirectional. Oh and they dont load up with gravel chips.... a minor peeve Sorry for the double post.

IMG_1779[1].jpg

Spyder Garage

I'm a little late to this party, but I agree wholeheartedly with ARtraveler.
    The OEM Kendas will last about 20K on the front, and 10K on the back. That means, for maximum value you should replace the front tires every second rear tire.
    Having said that, the Kendas suck. Big time. You'll be far happier if you replace all three tires with car tires. The wear AND the performance is far superior.
    You can replace the rear tire with a car tire, and then, in 10,000 miles replace the fronts. There are many options for tires.
    I don't want to risk getting banned from this site by telling you which tires I have and starting a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Changed over to darkside tires on the 2014 last year...don't know the results at this time. 10K miles later, they still look like new.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The general rule of thumb with motorcycles is two to one. Two rears for every one front tire. Spyders seem to be of that same vein. The front tires are adequate, but just. As others have said you can do better, but if you ride rather casually in mostly good weather, save your money and keep them until they're done. If you ride otherwise, then replacing them with a better tire will improve the rideability of the bike. On my old 2014 I too switched the fronts to Federal Formozas on Spyder Ann's recommendation and was very pleased with the results. A cheap tire that by all accounts shouldn't be that good, but is.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember these pictures? https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...36#post1451036

Front tires last much longer than rear tires.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I thought I'd just give a quick update. After everyone's advice (thank you) I decided to only replace my rear tire as I figured my front tires could last another 8000 to 9000 miles. However, for a couple weeks around the Labor Day weekend my dealer offered a free install as long as you replaced all three tires. What a deal! Doing the math on the cost of labor it made a whole lot of sense to get three new tires...so I replaced all my tires.

For those curious, the dealer replaced my tires with the Kenda Kanine (KR20). So I'll be curious to find out if I do indeed end up with the promised greater mileage than stock or not.

Spyder Garage

FEDERAL FORMOZA FRONTS UPDATE........
    (yeah, I know we're talking rear tires, but I'm busting my buttons over these tires)
    Although there is but 4K miles on my bike, and being impressed with all the praise about switching to car tires, I pulled the trigger.
    I got Formoza because I wanted to buy local from my favorite shop and those were the only he could find in the correct size.
    Riding away from the shop, I first noticed was less rolling resistance and when on a straight, I took my hands of the bars they tracked like on rails. They bite into the curves a lot better that the Kendas and give me a greater feeling of being in control. I now have a greater WOW factor and can't wait to see what a General or Kumho rear tire will do.
    A huge improvement in handling for under $200 - what a deal!