Spyder Garage

Default More dealer robbery

I bought a set of replacement headlights and fog lights since I have a headlight out right now. As my sig states, I am not fluent with tools and taking things apart. I'm the guy with stuff leftover when I do this kind of thing. So I went to Ridenow Phoenix today and was told over $600 to install both sets of lights. When I first looked at the price, i told the dude that I have already purchased the lights, to which he replied that is just for labor.

If there is anybody in the Phoenix area in need of some money and can handle this job, I would be happy to come to you. I don't mind paying but that's ridiculous.

Guess I better start practicing with the tools. I'm gonna go buy a hammer tomorrow.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    I bought a set of replacement headlights and fog lights since I have a headlight out right now. As my sig states, I am not fluent with tools and taking things apart. I'm the guy with stuff leftover when I do this kind of thing. So I went to Ridenow Phoenix today and was told over $600 to install both sets of lights. When I first looked at the price, i told the dude that I have already purchased the lights, to which he replied that is just for labor.

If there is anybody in the Phoenix area in need of some money and can handle this job, I would be happy to come to you. I don't mind paying but that's ridiculous.

Guess I better start practicing with the tools. I'm gonna go buy a hammer tomorrow.
    I would be happy to help, but will not arrive in Apache Junction until Oct 15th. If you still need help then PM me.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Many times, this is common to read negative remarks about any of the Ride Now shops.

Spyder Garage

If there not a Can-Am place I could see where they may be a little scared to take the task on! They would be learning as they go, and time is money in this game, that's why maybe like you said it's time to roll the sleeves up and get closer to your ride! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If there not a Can-Am place I could see where they may be a little scared to take the task on! They would be learning as they go, and time is money in this game, ...
    I am not a Can-Am dealer (or a dealer of any sort) and just did this job on my wife's RT-S. Yes, I was "learning as I went" and the job did take several hours.

I just looked through the flat-rate manual to get an estimate of times. They have a listing for "Headlamp and/or support", 0.4 hr. Another listing for "Halogen bulb" (no idea which one), 0.6 hr. A final entry for "Fog light", 0.8 hr. I am guessing that your dealer might have added all those times together for 1.8 hr, then doubled it because there are two of each, for a total of 3.6 hr. Doubling would not be proper, as some of the prep to get to the left headlight will get you to the right one, too, but doubling for the fog lights would be close. And, at what is probably about $100/hr, you were still getting ripped off.

Either way, it's not that hard a job, just plan on the better part of a day to do it yourself.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xhy6mKvPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BDPuf6_SBo

maybe this will help,only need a t-30 torx and a crescent wrench.
    See if someone can zoom with you and walk you through it!

I just had mine all apart to remove my accent lighting. 15 mins time to remove!
    Speaking of robbery, I paid twice as much for best warranty from motomember vs imotorsports!!!But when I do the deal from imotorsport in a couple of weeks I'll be very happy!!!
    IMG_20200822_113541.jpgIMG_20200822_110918.jpg

Now thats funny!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

one of the fun things to do is to learn how to work on your bike.It may seem hard at first,but with all the youtube channels on how to do this it can be done.Take your time and you can do this

Spyder Garage

It will help on the fog lights if you have a kid with small arms that wants to help!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I am not a Can-Am dealer (or a dealer of any sort) and just did this job on my wife's RT-S. Yes, I was "learning as I went" and the job did take several hours.

I just looked through the flat-rate manual to get an estimate of times. They have a listing for "Headlamp and/or support", 0.4 hr. Another listing for "Halogen bulb" (no idea which one), 0.6 hr. A final entry for "Fog light", 0.8 hr. I am guessing that your dealer might have added all those times together for 1.8 hr, then doubled it because there are two of each, for a total of 3.6 hr. Doubling would not be proper, as some of the prep to get to the left headlight will get you to the right one, too, but doubling for the fog lights would be close. And, at what is probably about $100/hr, you were still getting ripped off.

Either way, it's not that hard a job, just plan on the better part of a day to do it yourself.

Nicely done...
    This comes out to $165/hr.
    headlights.jpg

Spyder Garage

I love all the extra cost of the shop supply's!!! When I had my welding service I would have loved to charge out for each rod I used!! WTH
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I was not surprised to see that the name of the dealer was Ride Now. We have a couple of them here in Vegas, and I don't understand how they stay in business when their prices are highway robbery. I have been to both stores here and talked to a couple that are farther away. I was treated the same at all of them weather it was on buying a bike or service. I can only guess that they survive on people who just don't understand how bad they are going to get screwed.

Spyder Garage

I tried to deal with Ride Now in tucson on a spyder when I bought the one I have now. It was a 2008 with 26k on it. The previous owner had drilled several holes in the body where he installed speakers and a radio. They were removed when he traded it in. They were asking about $500 over book and a $600 doc fee plus a $300 certification fee. When I asked if they put a warranty on the vehicle they said no it wasn't required by law. They also didn't do any service on the vehicle when sold. If you wanted fresh fluids they charged $110 an hour plus parts and shop fees. Needles to say I walked and have never been back. When and if I need a spyder shop I will try Sierra cycle in Vail
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

If you decide you NEED to have them installed by a dealer, try Nash Motorsports in Mesa. They are not the best but are better than Ride Now. I would avoid Ride Now for ANY dealings. My opinion is based upon personal rip-off from Ride Now. Check with Nash. I would also check Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista. They are about a half day's ride but are the only quality dealer in Arizona that I am aware of. If I still had my Spyder and needed work done I would go to Sierra. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Remus Sierra Cycles are located in Sierra Vista not Vail .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iskion1 View Post
    I was not surprised to see that the name of the dealer was Ride Now. We have a couple of them here in Vegas, and I don't understand how they stay in business when their prices are highway robbery. I have been to both stores here and talked to a couple that are farther away. I was treated the same at all of them weather it was on buying a bike or service. I can only guess that they survive on people who just don't understand how bad they are going to get screwed.
    Funny you mention RideNow in Vegas. I bought this at the Rancho store. Here is my Yelp post about the problems I had with them AFTER the sale.
    =====================================
    While you are in the store, the service is great. After you leave, they don't know you any more.

The date on the bill of sale is 10/3/19. Here we are on 11/18/19 and I still don't have a license plate. I have called several times about this. They never told me how long it would take to get the plate but I was told TWICE by Tyler that he would send me a temporary tag label that I could fill out myself to keep riding legally until the real tag showed up. Never did this blank temp tag show up. For the last 3 weeks, I have had an expired temp tag on the bike.

I am not sure why, but I was never given the documentation to show I had purchased an extended warranty on the bike. I had to call to get a copy of that so a local dealer in Phoenix could work on it. Instead of them scanning and emailing me the document, I get a picture. I assume a child filled out this document because 1/2 the information on it is wrong. I asked for the document, and was told by Dakotah that he would send it to me. This was 2 weeks ago. I have received nothing.

They did send me a spare key out of the blue, I assume in lieu of the documentation I have requested and have still yet to receive.

Once you walk out their door, it's ugly.

I need to add on as I found out something else yesterday. The company they used to finance the bike has never heard of me. They have no record of any financing documentation from Rancho. I'm getting a free motorcycle. You would think that would give them another start, but nah. I know it will come back to me at some point...

Btw, STILL waiting on the document that has my extended warranty information.
    ======================

While everything above here is completely true, there have been steps taken to remedy the issues.
    1 I was comped a Bell SRT helmet while in the store the first time. I live in Arizona where there is no helmet required. However, in Nevada, buckets are a must.

2 Upon delivery of the bike to Arizona, I was given a $200 RideNow gift card to get my wife a helmet.

3 My first payment, which was due 11/1/19, was made for me somewhere around Thanksgiving Day.

4 I was given a Sena 20S EVO bluetooth device. BTW, this was super easy to install...if I can do it, anybody can.

This comes out close to $1000 in comps.

I spoke with Ryan, the store manager, about the issues. He listened to me complain and rant for about 10-15 minutes. He has since made sure the bike is perfect. He followed up to make sure I received the 20S and asked if I could install it or if I needed one of his guys to walk me through it. He has offered options if I was still having issues with the bike. When he gets back to the store Tuesday, I can let him know that now the bike seems to be running great after having the brake sensor replaced.

He also explained to me there seemed to be some miscommunication regarding the license plate. Ryan told me he pays the 3rd party to ship the plate to me. They do not email an address label to the title company in order to ship the plate to me.

Spyder Garage

Bought my wife's RT at Ride Now Peoria and they treated us right. The 2012 RT was a trade in and they put new tires on it, oil change, coolant flush and battery.
    The price was fair also. They do nail you for service and repairs that's why I do my own. I don't know anyone in the Valley that does repairs outside of a dealer.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If you decide you NEED to have them installed by a dealer, try Nash Motorsports in Mesa. They are not the best but are better than Ride Now. I would avoid Ride Now for ANY dealings. My opinion is based upon personal rip-off from Ride Now. Check with Nash. I would also check Sierra Cycles in Sierra Vista. They are about a half day's ride but are the only quality dealer in Arizona that I am aware of. If I still had my Spyder and needed work done I would go to Sierra. Good luck..... Jim
    I just called Sierra who said they would charge $176 total for 2 hours of work. Much better...and I get a nice ride in as well.

Spyder Garage

I just called Sierra who said they would charge $176 total for 2 hours of work. Much better...and I get a nice ride in as well.
    That sounds like a good solution for both reasons.

If you should change your mind and decide to do it yourself, the Sling Mods video mentioned in an earlier post is very good. It's the one I used when changing the headlights on both our Spyder RTs. It's far superior, in my opinion, to videos recorded with a cellphone in one hand while pointing at things with the other hand.

With laptop in the garage I would watch a segment, then pause the video and perform the bit I had just watched. The value of their detailed video is that each Spyder conversion worked as advertised when each was finished.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. Local shop wanted to charge me 6.5hrs shop time for a front pulley replacement. 10k miles on the spyder and sprocket issue was related to them setting belt tension too high after tire replacement. I habe plenty of tools and will be able to justify buying any tool needed based on the rates they charge. My right tension bolt wasn't even tight after all said and done. Gotta be a better way.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the come-back. Now that the bad guys have revealed themselves, It would be good to hear of your experience with Sierra. That helps the Spyder community to know who is who and where to go for reasonable dealings..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Ride now has done all my warranty work and other as need. They will put non Kenda tires on for you. Barry the owner is a super nice guy. Ever time I have something done he calls a couple days later and ask how's everything going and am I satisfied with the work.

Spyder Garage

You can fix anything with a hammer and a credit card.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

I agree that Ride Now sucks. Terrible management at the Head Office. Never been able to purchase there because of all their dealer add ons after you made a deal.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick