Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron sway bar update and more

After reading this forum I made several updates to my 2013 RTL. I bought the Baja Ron sway bar some time back and needed to find time to install. I installed it today and the installation was pretty straight forward. I did have to use superglue on the tiny spacers for the end links (only to the frame connection, not the sway bar connection) because it was too frustrating trying to line things up in such a tiny spot. I noticed I was missing one the plastic covers on the left side over the sway bar (that smaller triangle shaped cover)...previous owner must have lost it....I will need to find a replacement because it will keep some of the dirt and mayhem from shooting underneath into the wiring and engine. When I was finished I didn’t have any parts or hardware left over...I either put them all back properly or accidentally kicked them across the garage. I only lost one socket and one star driver (yes, it’s a torx but some people hate it when you call it a star driver and I want to raise someone’s blood pressure for fun). And, only tore the skin off one knuckle so it was a banner install. My tools always vanish into the ether...

The results: Wow - this only has 4700 miles on it and I cannot believe the difference it made in handling and steering. All the jerkiness is gone and it corners so much better. Smooth is the right word! Rolls straight down the road without having to constantly correct the steering. One wonders how one little bar of steel can make the riding so much nicer. Not sure if the previous owner rode the dickens out of it for 4400 miles or of the original sway bar is really just marginal at best. Well worth the money for the bar with the stability it brings.

In other news I took the recommendation of folks on here and changed oil to the Rotella. Again, marked improvement in quietness and the shifting is so much smoother now. It was a little clunky when shifting when I bought it and now it shifts extremely smooth.

Next on the list is tires. I bought car tires after countless recommendations from people on this forum. Getting them installed by a dealer is more challenging because I found one of the local Can-Am dealers refuse to install car tires. I did find another local dealer who will install them but I must sign a waiver. The appointment is not till Sep 3 but I can wait. I’m hoping that gives better traction than these Kenda’s (they are original). The Kenda’s have tons of tread left but not much grip....tired of spinning the wheel when I take off and it’s really dangerous when wet (fishtails pretty good). I could probably install them myself but refuse to deal with the rear...my back hurts already.

After that, not much else I need to do....at least that’s all I think I need to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support to my questions.

Jerry
    2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

One suggestion. If you want to up the handling another notch without breaking the bank. Get a good set of take-off 2014-2020 RT front shocks. They won't be Elka's or Podiums, of course. But will really improve the ride for a small amount of coin. The 2013 RT came with probably the worst set of OEM shocks BRP every mounted to a Spyder. And that's saying quite a bit. But they really upped their game for the 2014 OEM shocks. They are pretty decent for OEM shocks. And a definite improvement over the 2013's.

It's all about enjoying the ride!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    One suggestion. If you want to up the handling another notch without breaking the bank. Get a good set of take-off 2014-2020 RT front shocks. They won't be Elka's or Podiums, of course. But will really improve the ride for a small amount of coin. The 2013 RT came with probably the worst set of OEM shocks BRP every mounted to a Spyder. And that's saying quite a bit. But they really upped their game for the 2014 OEM shocks. They are pretty decent for OEM shocks. And a definite improvement over the 2013's.

It's all about enjoying the ride!
    Where does one find these shocks? How much are they?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Where does one find these shocks? How much are they?
    Well John at Elka probably has more than a few .... You could advertise on this forum to see who might still have their orig. shocks aftering having bought Elka's ..... The shipping is going to hurt ( $$$$ ) unless they are free, good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    After reading this forum I made several updates to my 2013 RTL. I bought the Baja Ron sway bar some time back and needed to find time to install. I installed it today and the installation was pretty straight forward. I did have to use superglue on the tiny spacers for the end links (only to the frame connection, not the sway bar connection) because it was too frustrating trying to line things up in such a tiny spot. I noticed I was missing one the plastic covers on the left side over the sway bar (that smaller triangle shaped cover)...previous owner must have lost it....I will need to find a replacement because it will keep some of the dirt and mayhem from shooting underneath into the wiring and engine. When I was finished I didn’t have any parts or hardware left over...I either put them all back properly or accidentally kicked them across the garage. I only lost one socket and one star driver (yes, it’s a torx but some people hate it when you call it a star driver and I want to raise someone’s blood pressure for fun). And, only tore the skin off one knuckle so it was a banner install. My tools always vanish into the ether...

The results: Wow - this only has 4700 miles on it and I cannot believe the difference it made in handling and steering. All the jerkiness is gone and it corners so much better. Smooth is the right word! Rolls straight down the road without having to constantly correct the steering. One wonders how one little bar of steel can make the riding so much nicer. Not sure if the previous owner rode the dickens out of it for 4400 miles or of the original sway bar is really just marginal at best. Well worth the money for the bar with the stability it brings.

In other news I took the recommendation of folks on here and changed oil to the Rotella. Again, marked improvement in quietness and the shifting is so much smoother now. It was a little clunky when shifting when I bought it and now it shifts extremely smooth.

Next on the list is tires. I bought car tires after countless recommendations from people on this forum. Getting them installed by a dealer is more challenging because I found one of the local Can-Am dealers refuse to install car tires. I did find another local dealer who will install them but I must sign a waiver. The appointment is not till Sep 3 but I can wait. I’m hoping that gives better traction than these Kenda’s (they are original). The Kenda’s have tons of tread left but not much grip....tired of spinning the wheel when I take off and it’s really dangerous when wet (fishtails pretty good). I could probably install them myself but refuse to deal with the rear...my back hurts already.

After that, not much else I need to do....at least that’s all I think I need to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support to my questions.

Jerry
    2013 RTL
    That triangle shaped piece your talking about isn't the cover down under by your right foot is it? Some people take that off for more air flow around the radiator. Good job on the bar
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Next on the list is tires. I bought car tires after countless recommendations from people on this forum. Getting them installed by a dealer is more challenging because I found one of the local Can-Am dealers refuse to install car tires. .......

Jerry
    2013 RTL
    Was your socket a 10mm or a 1/2 inch? You can take your front wheels to your local tire shop who should be able to mount them. Also any indy bike shop. Same with rear, not that bad to take off. If you can do the sway bar and only lose a socket and a torx you can do the rear.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-23-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze