Spyder Garage

Default Comparing my 2020 RTL to my previous 2014 RTL

I have had my 2020 RTL for a week now, and can offer some comparisons to my previous 2014 RTL, for anyone else thinking about an upgrade.

*) The ride is MUCH smoother. Bumps that previously were jarring are now hardly noticeable.
    *) The seating is MUCH roomier. I have the standard seat on both machines. I'm 6'0 260 lbs, and I feel much more comfortable on the 2020.
    *) The floorboards are a great improvement. I had added highway pegs to my 2014, but didn't use them much. The 2020 floorboards allow me to move my feet forward and make a long ride much more comfortable.
    *) The passenger seat is improved. My wife says the 2020 is more comfortable and a little higher (for a better view.)
    *) The dashboard is a big improvement. I don't have brpconnect working properly yet with my iPhone, but the rest of the dash provides more info and is easier to read.
    *) The added space in the trunk is really nice.
    *) But it will probably take me months to get used to the parking brake button being moved.

Spyder Garage

Good review. That's why they are selling so many in spite of the bad economy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Everything you said is ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!! Having had a 2015 F3L and a 2017 F3L there is
    no comparison with the 2020 RT. My wife actually likes this one.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Huh...different strokes I guess. I'd heard that the seating was better on the '20s, but when we sat on one at the dealer, the wife didn't care for the passenger seat much - felt like the curve on the backrest was too much and pushed her forward. For me, the drivers seat felt good and everything was in reach, but not so muchthat it outclassed my '14.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Default Love the Floorboards on the new 2020- mirrors not so much

I had an hour to check out the new 2020 Can Am RT design with the tried and true 1330 SE6 platform. The new body style with split seat and top case provide a little different ergonomics with slightly more seating room and storage and the brighter instrument cluster used since 2018.

Ride comfort was great with a comfy seat and ergonomics felt good for my 5-9 frame and I especially liked the spacious floorboads standard on the base model. It was nice to move my feet around and slide them forward where I had to have aftermarket highway pegs for my 2015 RT. The toggle for flipping through the dash display options was pretty straight forward and similar to the multi-button left switch cluster used previously. The parking brake switch is now a button on the handlebar just above the toggle. There are multiple volume up/down switches located on the handlebar, console and even the passenger postions for the Limited versions. The only question I had about switches is why the up/down windshield switch is NOW down on the console. No biggy, but it does take one hand off the bar momentarily. The winshield has a nice vent hole cut-out in the plexi, now above the windshield bracket and hopefully easier to clean and less likely to fill up with bug guts. The bracket is also a nice black matte finish rather than my original silver paint trip (I repainted my 2015 with black matte which looks better in my opinion).

The floorboads had nice cushy pads that isolated vibrations, but I still thought I felt some of the vibes from the belt at around 65 mph or so. Not harsh, but noticeable to me. Handling in the curves was mostly positive, but I like my firmer set-up with aftermarket fronts and air pressure set to my liking. Probably a familiarity thing and I’m sure could be dialed in with time. I dont know if the softer sidewalls caused a little less confidence in the curves…. Again just a familiarity with the 2015 as I have it set up.

The radio seemed a little clearer even without the rear speakers (base model vs a Limited). And reception was about like my 2015 for selecting stations (FM only, no more AM). I liked the dash display with options for instantaneous fuel economy and average economy, as well as max Speed and average speed to give some data feedback. My favorite was the Large Speed displayed next to RPM to remind me where I was on the 1330 torque curve. I think BRP tightened up the speedo error programming as at 64 mph I was running 3200 which is what I get with the slightly larger General Altimax 215/60R15 on my 215 model. The front and rear cogs I believe are the same and get up and go seemed the same after I got it off of ECO mode.

For my 2015 RT, I have to hold the Mode button for 2 seconds to toggle on/off of ECO. This demo it seemed only needed a quick tab to toggle off. Again, maybe it was operator error.

Brakes and brake pedal seemed good to me- others may have minor quibbles. Overall it was a great ride, and only the vibrating left mirror was a peeve to complain about. It seems that BRP has come out with the brass boss kit to tighten that up so maybe after that all will be well.

Again, I loved the spacious floorboads now standard on the RT, and the styling is sharp. Maybe the radiators will be easier to access and clean although they still need some protection. I’m not a big lights and whistles fan, but the horn is better, and the LEDs are better and I’m sure aftermarket suppliers can provide custom touches for everyone. Its always nice to enjoy the new look and “smell” along with the proven 1330 SE6 platform!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Two of my buddies traded in their white, matching 2015 and 2014 RTs. They both like their matching 2020 RT limiteds. But they both did say that the gas milage is less, and the power is definitely less. Not sure if their is a weight difference, or not, but they both said their was a substantial difference in acceleration off the line.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Well for sure the new bikes are not broke in,,,, and maybe like me they had a little trouble getting the ECO turned off?
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I have a 14 rtl. I took the 2020 for a 90 minute demo. Much smoother shifting and shock absorption. Loved the display. Felt like I was sitting more into the bike than on my current bike. The deal breaker for me was the long reach to the brake pedal. I am only 5'1 and had to reach to brake which is ok for a test ride but I wouldn't want to be doing that on a regular basis I was told that there is not a seat made that can draw me closer to the brake. I would also have to get the adjustable bars. So that plus having a custom seat made and the increased cost of the bike made it not worth it for me right now. It handled well in corners but no better than my bike which has the sway bar (not sure if a sway bar would be needed on the 2020) But......the ride is awesome and much better than my bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gbdola View Post
    I have a 14 rtl. I took the 2020 for a 90 minute demo. Much smoother shifting and shock absorption. Loved the display. Felt like I was sitting more into the bike than on my current bike. The deal breaker for me was the long reach to the brake pedal. I am only 5'1 and had to reach to brake which is ok for a test ride but I wouldn't want to be doing that on a regular basis I was told that there is not a seat made that can draw me closer to the brake. I would also have to get the adjustable bars. So that plus having a custom seat made and the increased cost of the bike made it not worth it for me right now. It handled well in corners but no better than my bike which has the sway bar (not sure if a sway bar would be needed on the 2020) But......the ride is awesome and much better than my bike
    Lamonster and others have an aftermarket brake pedal extension. You might want to check it out.