Spyder Garage

Default Impossible to get service

I purchased a brand new 2018 Spyder RTL from Broward Motorsports in Ft. Lauderdale, FL 15 months ago. A month after I purchased it I brought it in to have the BRP connect updated...it is in version 10. They tried to update it and said something is wrong and will call me when they figure it out. I still haven't heard from them. We moved to Gainesville GA in June and I contacted Gainesville Motorsports to get an oil change and update the BRP connect. The service manager said that they are 3 weeks behind. I said, no problem, let's set up a date that I can drop off the Spyder when you have an opening. He said, it doesn't work like that. He said that I have to drop it off now and they will get to it in about 3 weeks. If I don't, the three weeks will begin when I drop it off. I thought that was incredibly insane. I contacted Can Am and explained the situation. They seemed to be ok with this procedure. Who in their right minds would give up their Spyder for three weeks for an oil change and update. I purchased the Can Am oil change kit and changed the oil myself. However, how do I get this necessary update for the BRP connect. Once again I was told that I will have to drop off the Spyder for three weeks before they can even look at it. I contacted Can Am again and experienced the same attitude. What is up with Can Am. To be honest, if I was aware of this poor service and zero support from Can Am, I certainly would not have made this purchase.
    My question is, does anyone know of a way to update the BRP connect without leaving my Spyder at the dealership for 3 weeks before they can get to it. I appreciate any help with this situations.

Thanks,
    Bob

Spyder Garage

So your daughter has a tooth that is bothering her, you bring her to your dentist office and leave her there waiting for her turn in about 3 weeks. Thats insane.
    I have a 2013 RTL and i have experienced with not so timely service at dealership.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bonabob View Post
    ...... My question is, does anyone know of a way to update the BRP connect without leaving my Spyder at the dealership for 3 weeks before they can get to it. I appreciate any help with this situations. ......

Find a different dealer that wants your money.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2020 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately I see this attitude in several industries lately. Service companies have forgotten the definition of "service." Several restaurants in my area no longer take reservations. They have "call ahead" seating that you can'tmake until one hour before you want to be there. Good luck with that.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I guess I'm lucky. I can make an appointment and bring it in and WAIT! Not only at the dealership, but at the dentist.

Of course, I live in Michigan. Very few of us can afford a motorcycle. Or a dentist. Or a house.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

The situation you post about is unfortunately to true. I was lucky to have a dealer that I could work with, make appts. and get the job done at mostly MY convenience. This worked for over eight years.

Fast forward, I have dealt with two independents (Lamonster Garage, and Spyderpops) since moving to Arkansas. They also make appointments and do good work.

I am also one who would have dropped the product like a hot potato had I experienced the type of service that has been posted.

Dealers that "don't get it" deserve NO business. And shame on BRP for not trying to improve customer service. This is not new, it has been going on for the whole 10 years I have been on the forum.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-21-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That ranks as the worst bad service story I've heard in a while. I train call center reps. If one of our staff ever treated a customer with such indifference they would quickly be looking for a new job.
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

WOW!
    Luckily we live close enough to Thornoli's to have him do most of the service work on my wife's F3L. Make an appointment, drive over, and wait while the work is being done. Recommend them to anyone in the Houston area.
    2017 TriGlide

2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Purple/Black

Spyder Garage

To answer your question. No. Unless you can convince the dealer to give you a copy of the firmware update file and then get a friend with BUDS to install it for you. Can Am will sell you the BUDS system and you have to purchase an annual license to use it, but you cannot access the BRP system to download files. I wish I could; I have BUDS.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I recently spoke with one of my local F3 owners who scheduled an appointment with a dealer in Indy. He was told he would need to leave it for 2 days to get the 3000 mile service. When he took it in this week he was told it would be there for a week.

I have only been to the dealer twice - once for ufit adjustment and once for the 3000 mile service. All my other service has been done at home.

The dealer I went to was almost 3 hours away - I drove past 2 other dealers to get there who don't value customer service. My oil was changed while I waited for my 3k service - I would not like having to leave it overnight. I wish there were Lamonster / Spyderpops / Thornelli type service centers around.

One of our USSR chapter members is starting as a side business to add lights / sound / and non-warranty related repairs and he is as busy as he wants to be.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    To answer your question. No. Unless you can convince the dealer to give you a copy of the firmware update file and then get a friend with BUDS to install it for you. Can Am will sell you the BUDS system and you have to purchase an annual license to use it, but you cannot access the BRP system to download files. I wish I could; I have BUDS.
    I have BUDS2 and have updated my dash software twice. You do not have to download the file from BRP. You download the new version of BUDS2 from from the supplier that sold you the licence.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My first dealer was like that. First in, first out. It sucked. I have never bought from them again. I hope you can find service that is better.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have BUDS2 and have updated my dash software twice. You do not have to download the file from BRP. You download the new version of BUDS2 from from the supplier that sold you the licence.
    You are correct about the updates to the BUDS software, but I was referring to firmware update files that would be uploaded to the bike via BUDS. I know of no way to get those except through a dealer.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    You are correct about the updates to the BUDS software, but I was referring to firmware update files that would be uploaded to the bike via BUDS. I know of no way to get those except through a dealer.
    They are built into the updated BUDS2. When you scan it will show updates to flash for the cluster. Connect the USB cable and start the update.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Bonabob, thank you for sharing your experience, it reveals a lot about BRP's attitude and dealers as well. I'm a 77 year old Goldwing rider and have thought many times about going to a Spyder, but your experience with 2 dealers and BRP scares the hell out of me. How many Spyder owners want their expensive machines hanging out a dealership for 3 weeks waiting for an update???? Is it stored indoors, I doubt it. Convinced me that it would be a bad choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Bonabob, thank you for sharing your experience, it reveals a lot about BRP's attitude and dealers as well. I'm a 77 year old Goldwing rider and have thought many times about going to a Spyder, but your experience with 2 dealers and BRP scares the hell out of me. How many Spyder owners want their expensive machines hanging out a dealership for 3 weeks waiting for an update???? Is it stored indoors, I doubt it. Convinced me that it would be a bad choice.
    There are SOME good dealers. Ask the FL people to recommend where they go if you are still interested. At least in the lower 48, you have a choice of many options.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Ryker has been in the shop for going on five weeks for a fuel pump replacement. They don’t return my calls so I have no idea when it will be fixed. When I get lucky and catch the person that I need to talk to last time said “part is on back order but will find out as it is to be released last Friday and give you a call” surprise, that call never came! I can’t believe people are so inconsiderate! I really like my Ryker but I don’t think I can tolerate the service departments lack of care and some have a lack of knowledge. At one dealership, When a service manager was looking at my Ryker as I was explaining the issue, he said “ where’s your gas cap” I’m so sick of incompetence! I just may sell the Ryker, if and when it gets fixed, so I don’t have to have the STRESS of dealing with these people! I’m happy for the people that have good responsible, knowledgeable, and considerate, dealerships. Enjoy your ride.

Spyder Garage

Maybe we need to start naming dealers so we can buy off dealers that wants are business and have good service departments

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Maybe we need to start naming dealers so we can buy off dealers that wants are business and have good service departments
    Then they will get the attitude and turn into one of the bad ones! We have shops in Maine the same way, more work than they can handle and you have to wait your turn and HOPE they can get your parts!!!!!! Waiting right now for a water pump shaft!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If you feel like a road trip to Florida, Orion Motorsports in Tallahassee is one of the good ones. They are short handed for techs at present, but the Service manager will put you on the schedule and WILL call you when they are ready for you to bring your bike in to put it next in the que. For system updates, when I brought my 19 RT in for the Connect update, John took time off his lunch hour to flash my bike IMMEDIATELY and get me back on my way. They are a small shop but worth the ride if you aren't local.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

This year it's the worst for getting service done. It doesn't help that most dealerships are understaffed for tech's, but add in the record number of customers who need service, and the fact that these dealerships carry multiple lines.

I was very fortunate to have had a dealer when I lived in MN that I could make an appointment with as well as most same day service provided. When I encountered my starting issue on my 2020 RT I called there and talked to the owner asking if they had come across this problem. Not only did he talked to me about it, but call over his head tech to ask him.
    They had not, but he did inquire with BRP support. When yesterday I received the call from the service department here in Nashville that mine was fixed I called the dealership in MN to let them know what the fix was.
    He was glad to know. Told me that BRP had not got back to him about this.

In our conversation he told me that they are so busy that he and his wife cannot get away to ride. They would normally have over 3000 miles by now, but this year less than 1000. Record sales on Spyders and ATV's as well as all the people who are out enjoying the freedom these toys provide us has dealerships struggling to keep up.

I am not defending poor dealers as they don't deserve to stay in business.
    It's hard to wait for something we want done now, and I am very bad at waiting, but keeping the current situation in mind I am glad it only took 10 days for them to fix my issue.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Ride Now in Gainesville has always served my Spyders but that was when Eric was service manager, not sure who’s in charge now but I can tell you from 4 visits they were exceptional. Eric has since moved on but I’m guessing service experience is still solid. I love an hour from there and they always dropped my Spyder off few days later to my driveway. I’m buying a 4th Spyder next month and will continue to use them. Theirs a Ride Now dealer in Jacksonville but I don’t know how there service dept is yet. I like to stick with who I know will treat me right. Good luck

Spyder Garage

I wont buy from my local dealers and only use them for warranty. Poor kid (salesman) didn't know how to start the spyder,But knew everything about the side by sides cause people were lined up to buy those for the 4th of July weekend. I ride 40 miles for service and again I wont buy new from them either. 200 miles one way and got a pretty good deal on my 2018 and now will trade it in to Imotorsports three states west to get an even better deal on a 2021! All shops are packed this year because of all the infection stuff causing panic. I work at a Toyota Fork lift repair shop and were very busy,despite all the bad news my shop is backed up and they are hiring more salesman as they are the customer reps and need more help.

All I can say is to try to plan ahead and maybe ride a little further for better service.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

All of this talk reminds me of why we all need an "extra" of some kind to ride while the Spyder is in the shop