Spyder Garage

Default CalSci 1st review - 5 mile test drive

Machine: see below
    Rider height: 6'1"
    Rider inseam: 33"
    CalSci windscreen: Large, Std Width

Whoa. What a difference compared to stock. The first thing I noticed when pulling out of the driveway and getting up to speed is that I could actually hear the engine and exhaust (this is a +). Absolutely no buffeting and nearly silent with my helmet shield down. Still lots of airflow along the sides of the windscreen towards my arms. I only rode for about 5 minutes, but it converted the STS into a touring bike almost instantly.

My only complaint is that I think I would prefer a medium - even in the second lowest position, the L feels too high. Time will tell.

I am taking a longer ride tomorrow and I will report back how it is after extended time with the new windscreen.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Machine: see below
    Rider height: 6'1"
    Rider inseam: 33"
    CalSci windscreen: Large, Std Width

Whoa. What a difference compared to stock. The first thing I noticed when pulling out of the driveway and getting up to speed is that I could actually hear the engine and exhaust (this is a +). Absolutely no buffeting and nearly silent with my helmet shield down. Still lots of airflow along the sides of the windscreen towards my arms. I only rode for about 5 minutes, but it converted the STS into a touring bike almost instantly.

My only complaint is that I think I would prefer a medium - even in the second lowest position, the L feels too high. Time will tell. I am taking a longer ride tomorrow and I will report back how it is after extended time with the new windscreen.
    I've been interested in a CalSci for some time now, because of its reputation for drastically reducing the buffeting and backdraft created by most windshields. I'm interested in hearing more about your experience with it. Pictures would be great.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I ended up taking the Wing on my weekend excursion. I will take some pics of the windshield this week.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

Another update: 75 mile commute to and from work today.

On the ride in, not much traffic, no wind. Very smooth air flow, I could keep my visor up with my sunshade down (with the stock windshield, this was not possible). Noticeably less wind on the torso. No buffeting.

Ride home: more traffic, following larger vehicles, which creates disrupted airflow. CaliSci did a nice job managing it. Some light turbulence around the shield with some very mild buffeting that I am hesitant to even describe as buffeting. Much quieter ride. These are the conditions that would give me a headache with the stock screen - more the noise than the buffeting - and I have one of the quietest helmets sold, a Schuberth.

Overall, I really like hearing th precision fluttering (struggling for an alternate term) of the V-twin during acceleration and cruising. I do love the sound of well-tuned stock exhaust V-twin - your tastes may vary. This windscreen makes riding the STS a very pleasant experience.

I will keep adding updates and I still need to get some pictures up here.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5