Spyder Garage

Default Hey all you 2020 RTL Owners........

Thinking of trading my 18 for a 20 or 21 RTL. To those of you that own a 2020, do the mirrors need to be removed to do maintenance on them, if so can they be replaced with magic mirrors? Has the sway bar been upgraded? Lastly, Does it throw off a lot of heat in the cockpit when stopped? Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on my questions.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Thinking of trading my 18 for a 20 or 21 RTL. To those of you that own a 2020, do the mirrors need to be removed to do maintenance on them, if so can they be replaced with magic mirrors? Has the sway bar been upgraded? Lastly, Does it throw off a lot of heat in the cockpit when stopped? Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on my questions.
    No, the mirrors do not need to be removed for most maintenance like the pre-2020 Spyders did. Further, the panels that do come off, all come off with simple clips.
    There is an issue with the mirrors being loose, but Lamonster has a cheap and easy fix.
    The sway bar has been improved. Dramatically. In my view, you do not need to upgrade the sway bar at all, however they still have the crappy OEM plastic links. I would strongly recommend replacing the crappy plastic links, so the RonBar becomes a "might as well replace" since your in the area. This is not in any way disparaging BajaRon's product. It's just that BRP seems to have caught up to him.
    No, the new Spyder does not throw off a lot of heat in the cockpit at all.
    Like all manufacturers, BRP took a look at the aftermarket upgrades and wanted some of the action, so they've included them as part of their supply. I'm talking of course, about the RT Limited. Some of these points also hold for the standard RT.

The seat, stock, is far more comfortable. Both passenger and Rider are heated.
    The rear trunk is fabulous.
    The headlights are much improved. LEDs right out of the box.
    I bought a few options with my Spyder.
    Factory Backrest: I like it
    Factory Trunk Rack. It's OK, But I would recommend getting the Show Chrome instead.
    Factory Fog Light: A bit pricey, but I like it.

Here are my Non OEM Modifications, AKA Farkles:
    HeliBars. I travel long distances, I just didn't want to fool with trying the medium reach bars, and then the short reach bars and the Attitude bars. The HeliBars are infinitely adjustable. DONE!!
    I put on the Spyderpops Vision kit to light up all the reflectors and add additional lighting to the mirrors. Not the most expensive kit. You get what you pay for. Just be careful when installing it and it will be very nice when you're done//
    I did the Lmonster mirror shake modification. I highly recommend it. There are other options, but his is the least expensive.
    And of course, dump the crappy Kenda OEM tires as soon as feasible I switched my non-Kenda tires over before I left the dealer. If you don't have car tires already, wear out the Kendas first, then buy better tires.
    The BRP Connect is nice, but no great shakes.

In short, if you have a fairly well farkled and slightly used 2018 machine, you're probably not going to see a whole lot of difference.
    If you have a stock 2018, the upgrades are significant.
    I had a nicely farkeled, but used 2014, so I upgraded, and happily so.

My next planned modification is to replace the crappy oil drain plugs with new magnetic ones from Lamonster.
    There is no bump skid yet available. I'd like to get one if and when someone makes one.

I bought the MoDoor garage door opener. I'll install that as soon as I get my OEM switch delivered. This is silly but there is a blank switch plate on the control panel that really upsets my CDO. It shouldn't affect normal people. CDO is like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted so we know how you made out.
    As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I was told by a Can-Am rep that the sway bar is the same as pre 20, but that the suspension was changed to the point that they did not see the need to change the swaybar. Since I had a Ron bar on my 2015 F3 I took that off and put it on my 20 RT. It was a noticeable improvement in handling.

On a 100° day of riding my wife on her 2018 F3L was complaining of the heat off the Spyder whereas I felt no heat from my RT.

I did the Lamonster trick on my mirrors to fix the movement. That was the only time I needed to remove them.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

That is my understanding too.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I've got a 2020 RTL, but we've only put about 900 miles on it so far. This is our first Can Am, so I can't compare it with earlier versions. That said, we like it a lot. We've ridden on very hot days and I haven't noticed excessive heat in the cockpit. The copilot hasn't complained either (and she would have said something). So far I've added the factory backrest and passenger armrests (the copilot absolutely likes those), foam covers for the grips, and the Show Chrome trunk rack (very nice!). I've got 2" risers and a belt idler coming from Lamonster. No issue yet with the mirrors. Hope that helps. Good luck!
    USN SCPO (ret.) with a fondness for Red-tailed hawks
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT Limited (Redtail III)
    Previous rides:
    2014 BMW F700GS (Redtail II)
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2010 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (Redtail I)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

Default 2020 rt

I had a 2011 for about 9 years and just traded it in for a 2020. Had it about 2 months now and 3,000 miles. My wife has a 2010 (and is hinting strongly to upgrade to the 2020). Besides some of the things others have said, noticeable differences from my 2011:
    • Smoother ride - factory suspension is like a dream
    • Easier turning - I can turn with one finger on each side.
    • After my first 3000 mile service, it doesn't need a service for 12k (according to CruzrJoe)
    • Slightly more storage (not in the glove compartment - shrunk to next to nothing, but there IS a built-in USB charger there)
    • LED lights come standard
    • Windshield retracts when off, but remembers where it was when bike goes on
    • 6 speakers - mostly tweeter range, no killer bass
    • Heated seats with heated grips
    • Improved dash controls/status - at least compared to my old 2011
    • Overall, it is technically a much better bike and a great purchase.

Minor issues:
    • My 2020 gets a LOT of wind noise from windshield holes - some say they don't get that. A few do.
    • New body design has a lot of nooks and crannies to clean - like I said, minor
    • BRP Connect is touchy for Bluetooth + Screen too small for GPS - Bought a Garmin Zumo XT GPS
    • Even though it has 6 speeds, you have to shift VERY often. It's not so much an extra gear, it's 6 gears closer to each other in shifting patterns. Again, minor.
    • Side luggage is hard to open. May just be mine.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

3000 on my 20 RT now.Traded my 18 and am very happy.My side bags were hard to open but dealer adjusted them at service and now fine.Don't notice a huge diff in power,handling or ride from my 18 but no complaints at all.Did need to change the bars tho but as things go was very easy and not very expensive.You will notice a huge diff with the new giant floorboards.Wife happy to not have to get off to fuel.FM reception seems better.As far as the mirror wobble,I have none.Removed the cover to adjust headlight recently and here's what I saw in there.Three 8mm nuts fasten mirror assmbly to body,one is under small bit of trim on dash side,make sure these are tight.One 10mm nut about in middle of mirror facing front.This one directly affects how much effort you need to move the mirror.I tightened it a bit and could barely move the mirror,backed it off a tad.I just really liked the new look and colors so I traded off.I don't think you would be sorry!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The sway bar has been improved. Dramatically. In my view, you do not need to upgrade the sway bar at all, however they still have the crappy OEM plastic links.
    Your comment is quite interesting considering the fact that the BRP parts catalog shows the same part number for the sway bar from 2018 to 2021. The sway bar part number is the same for 2010 to 2012 and then a different one from 2013 to 2017. So, if there truly is a difference in handling from 2018 to 2020 it has to be attributed to other changes in the suspension, not the sway bar.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)