Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Ever Remove The Tank Cover

I took my brand new 4 week old Ryker into the dealership for a slight brake fluid leak. I told them that it was leaking from the cap and that all I needed them to do was to replace the cap and diaphragm. Dont ask me how, but when they brought it out, they had gotten brake fluid on the tank cover and had scratched the lower right side panel down by the brake pedal. Brake fluid ruined the tank cover, and to say I didnt take it well, is an understatement, I was pissed. They couldnt explain it to me either, which made me even more pissed.

They've ordered both a new tank cover, and a new side panel, but I dont want them touching my machine, so I'll be doing it myself. To top it all off, once I started home, I noticed it took more pressure on the brake pedal to stop the bike. It feels like there is air in the brake lines. Since I dont trust them to even touch the Ryker, I'll have to bleed them to find out if thats the case. How they could have gotten air in the lines if they just replace the cap & diaphragm is another mystery. Anyway, back to my original question. Has anyone removed the tank cover? If so, does all the other plastics have to come off first, like it looks like to me?
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

WOW!! They turned a 10' job in to a big headache for you. They probably didn't know, but to get to the master cylinder unlock foot peg and slide it to the back. The cylinder moves with it. Anyway check this Youtube video out. It will steer you in the right direction only. I'm quite sure you don't have to pivot the body up, but run the fuel down low just in case. He doesn't take off the upper side panels but a lot is exposed to work on to do so. Be careful unclipping panels. Have some plastic 2 part epoxy on hand just in case (trust me on that) Watch video a couple times. I've pivoted my clam shell up a couple times now. Take your time, doing this you also learn how to get to the CVT cover and spark plugs if need be (someday). After looking at the blowup from Cheapcycleparts.com it looks like a headache. Plastic paint, vinyl graphics or a tank cover would be easier, I think. That's up to you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mktcr29nDZQ
    https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...er-body-module
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfFC2O0Q_A

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to remove anything to put brake fluid in. Just slide that foot peg all the way forward and you have access to the cap. I have a 2019 Ryker, almost 8000 miles and I've had a brake fluid leak (from the cap) since day one. I've replaced both the cap and diaphragm and it still has a small leak. I've just learned to live with it.

Haven't replaced the tank cover but my guess is its not all that difficult. The plastic goes on and off these things pretty easily. Word of caution. Don't spill any thing like fuel, brake fluid etc on the matte panels. It stains them and they can't be fixed.

Spyder Garage

Same here as Rob, had cap and diaphragm replaced and still get small leak.....and also just living with it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the links Canamrider, I did run across that video during my online search. Rob, I appreciate the info, moving the right peg rearward was how I accessed the master cylinder and cap to inspect it. You would think that a Powersports and Can Am dealer tech would also know.

If he didnt know, He's certainly not going to be working on my Ryker again. I dont know why they would, but I have a feeling that they removed the master cylinder, it still had fluid in it so thats the only way it could have gotten air in the lines. There would be no other reason for them to remove the lower side panel.

Spyder Garage

I added these emblems to cover over the break fluid stain on the right side of the tank cover, and I kind of like them and the color is a perfect match. Since there's no place to hang a Guardian or Gremlin Bell on the Ryker, I'll call these guys my Guardian Wolves. I'll put the lower right panel on when the parts come in, but I think I'll hold off a bit on replacing the tank cover until I have the time to do it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like those. Look like they were made to be there.

Spyder Garage

I agree. Nice touch.