Spyder Garage

Default Best 92 bucks i've ever spent

My 2015 F3-S just hit 7K miles and still has the stock Kenda's that are wearing evenly with about half tread left. At any speeds 60 and higher, the spyder was almost uncontrollable as the front end would shake and wobble forcing me to slow down. Rebalancing did not help at all. Ordered new Federal Formoza
    165 55 15 from tiresshipped2you for $92 shipped. Installed them today after mount and balance. 17# in them. Saying it's a night and day difference is an understatement. Got on the 4 lane, ran it up to 70 and just enjoyed the ride. Thank you to all for your comments and expertise for helping me to choose these tires.

Beachbum

Spyder Garage

Glad it worked out well for you. Unfortunately, it's not hard to be impressed with just about anything after running Kenda's!

Here is another Kenda product.

Square Tires.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-18-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Now Ron you know what this means!!! here we go again!!!!!!Tires and oil!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Great! I ran the Checkerboard Kendas because I'm cheap. Got new wheels and Toyo tires.Scary the difference. I'm making turns so fast it's a bit scary. No complaints from the nanny. Wonderful tires. Balanced with beads. Running 20# in them. More info at the link in my sig.

ftires.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Now Ron you know what this means!!! here we go again!!!!!!Tires and oil!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Will changing the rear tire before it wears out make much difference?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beachbumPC View Post
    Will changing the rear tire before it wears out make much difference?
    Depends on the tire getting changed. I thought my original rear tire was pretty good til I replaced it with a Q5. Later the fronts looked good but I went ahead and replaced them at a little over 14,500 miles. Both times I was amazed at how much better it rode, after the change

Some folks have gotten lucky with stock tires, I would say most have not. Some folks will never know.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I still have the stock Kenda on the rear. Changing the fronts definitely improved the ride, I'll look into what rear tire will work best

Spyder Garage

My 2015 F3-S just hit 7K miles and still has the stock Kenda's that are wearing evenly with about half tread left. At any speeds 60 and higher, the spyder was almost uncontrollable as the front end would shake and wobble forcing me to slow down. Rebalancing did not help at all. Ordered new Federal Formoza
    165 55 15 from tiresshipped2you for $92 shipped. Installed them today after mount and balance. 17# in them. Saying it's a night and day difference is an understatement. Got on the 4 lane, ran it up to 70 and just enjoyed the ride. Thank you to all for your comments and expertise for helping me to choose these tires.

Beachbum
    Where did you go to get them mounted and balanced? I'd guess not the dealer.
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

My OEM Kenda showed chords at 9K. Had to go. Got a Kumho ECSTA AST 225/50R15 and I made a quick release system for mt rear fender to show it off. Details in my sig.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Getting Formozas put on - can't wait. A friend who thinks Kendas are OK is getting mine with just 4K miles on them. There's no improvement to handling that cost less. Alright....the correct PSI!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I took the wheels off and took them to a local tire shop. The only issue they had was it took several tries with different collars on the computer balance. There was 3.5 ounces of weight to balance each of the Kenda's, 1oz and 1.5oz for the Formoza's.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    LOVED IT!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carsong View Post
    Where did you go to get them mounted and balanced? I'd guess not the dealer.
    Independent shop for the rear. Fronts, anywhere they are the same as an auto wheel.

Spyder Garage

I took the wheels off and took them to a local tire shop. The only issue they had was it took several tries with different collars on the computer balance. There was 3.5 ounces of weight to balance each of the Kenda's, 1oz and 1.5oz for the Formoza's.
    Is there some kind of maximum weight to use to balance before you call the tire crap? As a kid I worked a summer in a Firestone store and if we needed more than 3-3.5 ozs we would break the bead and give it a 90 degree turn and try again. I just checked a GL1800 service manual, it says a maximum of 2.1 ozs to balance front wheel and a maximum of 2.5 ozs to balance the rear wheel. Your thoughts?

Spyder Garage

When my Formoza front tires were balanced, each required only 3/4 ounce. Nice. Huge improvement in everything a tire should do for you.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome