Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Key

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Key

My used 2017 F3 limited finally arrived from Florida today. It only came with one key(which I knew about). I would like to purchase a second key or have one made. I am a little confused on what I am reading, do I need a new ignition or a key programmed? What is the best way to get a new key. Also, I do not have the key sleeve with the numbers on it like my 2019 F3. The previous owner never turned them or 2nd key in.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

goto dealer get a blank key, have them program it, if they can't cut a key, goto a lock smith for duplicate pattern on your exsisting key

you can also buy a Ilco blank key, just have it cut to pattern for ONLY front and back locks - non start key
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    goto dealer get a blank key, have them program it, if they can't cut a key, goto a lock smith for duplicate pattern on your exsisting key

you can also buy a Ilco blank key, just have it cut to pattern for ONLY front and back locks - non start key
    Thank you for clearing it up.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure you have to cut the key before it can be programmed into the DESS since it has to be in the ignition with the bike turned on. The key doesn't actually get programmed. The key ID number is entered into the DESS as a valid key. That has be done with BUDS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have to cut the key before it can be programmed into the DESS since it has to be in the ignition with the bike turned on. The key doesn't actually get programmed. The key ID number is entered into the DESS as a valid key. That has be done with BUDS.
    Thank you!
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

If you want a spare key that will do everything but allow you to start the Spyder, the Ilco blank you want is an X270. If you bevel it as shown in the picture it will allow you to push the key fully down in the ignition switch to unlock the frunk.

Ilco X270.jpg
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Only because I'm a tech geek and researched this a lot - MINOR clarification: On the 1330 motored Spyders - the Key is actually programmed into the ECU - the DESS just reads it and passes it to the ECU for verification. This allows the DESS to be replaced with no BUDS needed. You are correct in everything else - a new key needs programmed with the bike on - into the ECU using the BUDS.

The older Spyders the key was registered/verified in the DESS itself - so a DESS replacement meant BUDS and reprogramming keys.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Only because I'm a tech geek and researched this a lot - MINOR clarification: On the 1330 motored Spyders - the Key is actually programmed into the ECU
    You are so correct! I was so focused on the OP's reference to his 2017 RT I didn't even think about the change made from 2013 to 2014. Thanks for clarifying that for those who may not know. 2013 and earlier keys also could be cloned. 2014 on cannot. At least I don't think anyone has come up with a way to do it. That subject has been quiet since 2015.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealer blank key $50. Have the key cut $5 or less. Dealer progrem the key $25. Just had mine done a couple of weeks ago. I ordered two keys because I know I'm bound and detrmined to lose another key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Dealer blank key $50. Have the key cut $5 or less. Dealer progrem the key $25. Just had mine done a couple of weeks ago. I ordered two keys because I know I'm bound and detrmined to lose another key.
    Thank you that is good to know. Again Thank you to everyone for all great info. I reached out to the dealer they do not cut the key, only program. They will send it out to get cut but he told me better off having it cut myself and bring the key in already cut, cheaper.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

2dogs did you order your blank key online or through the dealer? I am assuming through the dealer
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Only because I'm a tech geek and researched this a lot - MINOR clarification: On the 1330 motored Spyders - the Key is actually programmed into the ECU - the DESS just reads it and passes it to the ECU for verification. This allows the DESS to be replaced with no BUDS needed. You are correct in everything else - a new key needs programmed with the bike on - into the ECU using the BUDS.

The older Spyders the key was registered/verified in the DESS itself - so a DESS replacement meant BUDS and reprogramming keys.
    Minor correction. All models 2014 and later, no matter the engine size, the ECM handles the verification.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

you could also have DESS turned off and not worry about programming keys to the bike. The Ilco flat key will also start the bike. I keep an ilco spare in my billfold....just in case of a senior moment.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tec35 View Post
    Thank you that is good to know. Again Thank you to everyone for all great info. I reached out to the dealer they do not cut the key, only program. They will send it out to get cut but he told me better off having it cut myself and bring the key in already cut, cheaper.
    Be sure see who they use to cut key, most any won’t cut chipped keys from somewhere else my experience anyway.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2dogs did you order your blank key online or through the dealer? I am assuming through the dealer
    The online key was only $4 less than what the dealer wanted. So I purchased them from the dealer, I like to do business locally if at all possible. I had the blanks cut by a trusted lock and key shop, otherwise, it's a crapshoot if the keys are cut wrong. If the dealer will send them out to be cut it will likely cost more but if there is a mistake and the key is cut wrong, maybe the dealer will absorb the cost. You may want to confirm that with your dealer. Good luck, it made me kind of nervous too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealer. Only $4 more than online. Don't know what happened here. My first answer disappeared somewhere. Weared.

Spyder Garage

Thank you, that is a good idea and worth the little extra for a piece of mind. Btw I saw both of your response good advice thank you
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I bought a replacement for a lost key and had it programmed at the dealer for $42 total. Maybe they felt sorry for me, I'd only had my Spyder about 2 weeks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You got a good deal. Hang on to that dealer. Whenever my ride goes into the shop I always drop of a 12 pack of soft dinks or gator aid before I leave. The shop guys give me good service, now the service manager is another story. BS doesn't sit well with me.

Spyder Garage

It is going to cost me 54 for the key and 35 for programming does not include key cutting.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

It is going to cost me 54 for the key and 35 for programming does not include key cutting.
    Key cost is fairly uniform, but the dealer charge for programming is all over the map. When I had mine done about 4 years ago the key cost was about the same as yours but the tech programmed it into the ECM for no charge.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Make sure you mention to the tech that you only have the one key and the new one will be your second. Ask him to delete the key that you don't have.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Make sure you mention to the tech that you only have the one key and the new one will be your second. Ask him to delete the key that you don't have.
    Thank you, that is a good point, I will mention it
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I picked up the blank key and went to the locksmith shop the dealership uses to cut their keys. He cut a key and had him cut an ilco Key as well. I still have to program the second key at the dealership.The ILCO key will unlock the saddle bags and trunk. The key will even turn the ignition but will not unlock the frunk or passenger seat. Does anyone know if that is normal for the ILCO keys?
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I picked up the blank key and went to the locksmith shop the dealership uses to cut their keys. He cut a key and had him cut an ilco Key as well. I still have to program the second key at the dealership.The ILCO key will unlock the saddle bags and trunk. The key will even turn the ignition but will not unlock the frunk or passenger seat. Does anyone know if that is normal for the ILCO keys?
    Compare the Ilco key with the original. I think you need to cut back the edge of the key at the top to allow it to push in deeper into the ignition switch. The Ilco should open the seat and frunk.

2014 Copper RTS