Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT Rear Shock Replacement

I have a 2011 Spyder RT SM5 and blew a rear shock absorber. Has anyone had to replace that? I am unable to find much info on this replacement on-line. How bad of a job is it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

G'day

Get a Elka stage 2 for your rear.

Depending on how handy you are with spanners, it should take a couple of hours. Maybe get your dealer to do the install (he can rest the ride height adjustment with BUDS).

Cheers

Spyder Garage

I was told today that the time-to-ship for Elka shocks is ~30-40 days from date of receipt of the order at the factory. Apparently the delay is the result of a slow down at the Elka factory attributed to Covid19.

Elka is the #1 choice so far as I've been able to discern.

Caven
    Caven Mcloughlin; caven@kent.edu

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

M2 has been another top choice for some.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caven View Post
    ...... Elka is the #1 choice so far as I've been able to discern.

Caven
    Just throwing it out there, but recently there've been a few threads/posts here about Elka's along the lines of 'why the **** didn't you lot warn me before I fitted those ******* Elka's' And there's been some discussion on 'better alternatives' too, with more than just a few suggesting Elka's aren't quite the #1 choice some seem to believe....

Never run them myself, so don't really want to say much else; except that if you haven't yet seen the threads & posts from those who aren't quite so impressed, then maybe you should look a little deeper before making up your mind?! Could be a game changer.... or might just cement your choice....

Just sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

IIRC, since you (the OP) have a first generation Spyder there were a couple of other companies that experimented with shocks, but never developed them further. So you might dig around to see if you can find anything. As far as I know you can only currently buy either the Elka, M2, or Fox shocks as an aftermarket choice for any corner of the bike. The rear being the hardest, since I think only M2 and Elka make an alternative.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

My question is what do you mean by "blew a shock". ? Is it leaking oil? Did it break? Or is it not dampening as it used to? Worn out? It may be that the air bag a seperate piece has lost the ability to retain air and you only need a new one.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

x2
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I believe the seals are shot. Its puking oil and had no rebound. Dealer is booked 5 weeks out. Looks like I am tackling this my self, or my riding season is over.

Spyder Garage

Is the air bag still in good shape? Do you want to rebuild the shock, you can still get just the shock and break it down and put the old spring and what not back on there? I was looking up the parts from Cheap Cycle parts https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/
    Are you handy at wrenching on your bike? It will be a tug, I can't remember if the back wheel has to be removed to get the top bolt out or not, but once you get it out of the bike Swamping the shock out shouldn't be that big of a deal, be careful getting the spring compressed to get the lock ring off and on! Course if you are going with a aftermarket shock, it sounds like the few choices you have have a bit of a lag time in production because or the covort 19! Good luck let us know what you do and how you made out!!! P.S you tube had a good clip of the job https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O0Xf9eVpTc
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I put the M2 rear shock on my '13 and LOVE it, just love it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Replaced the rear shock this weekend. Complete failure of the factory shock! It came out in 2 pieces! Replaced with Elka Stage 2. If anyone rides 2 up frequently and 20K miles I suggest you replace.

Spyder Garage

Another alternative is Wilbers with remote adjustment. Have one on my 2014RT.

Damm fine shock

Spyder Garage

Try Worx Shocks, use to be Works Performance. If you do a search here, they know there stuff for a 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Try Worx Shocks, use to be Works Performance. If you do a search here, they know there stuff for a 2011
    How is Worx doing as a company, any idea. Last time I spoke with them about some vintage motocross shocks there was a lot of uncertainty if they would remain after Gil passed away. They do build some nice stuff for dirt bikes. Never tried or seen in person their Spyder shocks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    Another alternative is Wilbers with remote adjustment. Have one on my 2014RT.

Damm fine shock

Years ago while attending an industry motorcycle show, Wilburs was attending and had a display. The shocks were impressive to see and I would expect performed well.

Unfortunately, Wilburs has not truly entered the USA market, or if they have, it is a well kept secret.

Spyder Garage

Yes, Wilbers for Spyders are not available in the US and the Worx/Works Performance shocks were never available for the newer models. Like I said earlier they were never developed. I contacted them years ago about a shock for my 2014 and they said they stopped development because they determined the market was too small and therefore not profitable.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Update to delivery delay for ELKA shocks.

Today I learned that the current order-to-delivery timeline is 75-days for Elka shocks. Truly!

Caven
    Caven Mcloughlin; caven@kent.edu

Spyder Garage

Check lamonster, they had mine in stock.