Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Starting procedure on Spyder

Has anyone figured a way to bypass the need to press the Eco/Mode button so the bike
    will start?
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

Even more odd on the Ryker. Press start to light up the panel to the warning. Twist the throttle forward to clear the warning, then start. Unnecessary complications.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

On the Spyder's, getting the Stage 1 ECU flash I think gets that eliminated.

Spyder Garage

Afternoon Spyder Garage
    Who and How would one flash the ECU?
    Have you been able to eliminate the Eco/Mode button from start sequence?
    Rotax

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I don't mind it. Another way to prevent someone stealing the bike. If they can't figure out how to do it....
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Search for "Monster ECU" or something close to that. I recall there's a multi page thread about the Monster ECU remap.

Spyder Garage

I agree it is a stupid and unnecessary step and should be done away with. But it is much better then it was before. Older models have to wait 30 seconds or so before the mode button could be pushed. At least now I can turn on the key, press the mode button and start the Spyder before the gauge sweep happens. Still have to wait a few seconds to put it in gear.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I don't mind it. Another way to prevent someone stealing the bike. If they can't figure out how to do it....
    I second , third and fourth this idea ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you rob banks, never use a Spyder for a get away vehicle...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I take it you are counting on the thief to be illiterate. Because they just have to read the screen that tells them to push the mode button.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

At my age and since I'm not getting shot at a few seconds is no big deal.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If you rob banks, never use a Spyder for a get away vehicle...... Jim
    Just keep the Spyder running for a quick getaway.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax View Post
    Has anyone figured a way to bypass the need to press the Eco/Mode button so the bike
    will start?
    Rotax
    What year F3 do you have, Rotax? With my 2016, I turn the key, Immediately press the Mode button and immediately press the Start button. No time delays involved.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I’ll have to try that, acdc. I am still pressing the Mode button after I turn the key, and I have the ECUXtreme flash...... not that pressing the Mode key is any hardship for me

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Still have to push the e-brake button too

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I’ll have to try that, acdc. I am still pressing the Mode button after I turn the key, and I have the ECUXtreme flash...... not that pressing the Mode key is any hardship for me Pete
    I still have to press the Mode button before starting, acdc, but perhaps the US flash is different...... although I don’t know why that start process would be removed by those remapping the ECU.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I agree it is a stupid and unnecessary step and should be done away with. But it is much better then it was before. Older models have to wait 30 seconds or so before the mode button could be pushed. At least now I can turn on the key, press the mode button and start the Spyder before the gauge sweep happens. Still have to wait a few seconds to put it in gear.
    Ya by the time I get my bike started my bud's a mile down the road!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Also 2016 Pete
    I had the eco/mode button replaced under warranty in June, but I still have a delay when I press start button.
    Starting to think maybe I have a starter switch issue?
    I will give your suggestions a try however.
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

Good advise Jim
    Rotax

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax View Post
    will start?
    Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    Older models have to wait 30 seconds or so before the mode button could be pushed. At least now I can turn on the key, press the mode button and start the Spyder before the gauge sweep happens. Still have to wait a few seconds to put it in gear.
    When we got our (HER) Spyder a few months ago, we were shown the drill of insert key, turn to ON, wait for all the messages, THEN press the MODE button and then the START button. My son forgot all the details and 'accidentally' pressed the MODE button right after turning the key. The starter works. I checked with the previous owner, he had never done the ECU flash.

Not sure when they might have transitioned to being able to bypass all the wait, but our '17 RT-S starts quickly enough after turning the key. Yeah, it's a bit fiddly, but as others have mentioned, it's a small anti-theft feature.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I take it you are counting on the thief to be illiterate. Because they just have to read the screen that tells them to push the mode button.
    Most are and are in a hurry too. I press ECO before the message ever shows and haven't seen the it in 3 years but have faith you speak the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    My son forgot all the details and 'accidentally' pressed the MODE button right after turning the key. The starter works. I checked with the previous owner, he had never done the ECU flash.

Not sure when they might have transitioned to being able to bypass all the wait, but our '17 RT-S starts quickly enough after turning the key. Yeah, it's a bit fiddly, but as others have mentioned, it's a small anti-theft feature.

My method is Key - foot brake - start button - ECO button - ebrake - shift. If I hit the start button after the ECO button sometimes it will hesitate on the start and set my dern iPod to "songs" hence losing its place in my playlist
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My method is Key - foot brake - start button - ECO button - ebrake - shift.
    We have been trying to develop the practice of parking in Neutral. That removes the need to use the brake to start, so the 'method' becomes Key - ECO - start button to get it running. When ready to ride, it's simply brake - shift - e-brake - throttle.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Once in a great while the bike will start w/o having to wait for the screen to change. Also, if you restart within about 4 or 5 minutes of turning it off you don't have to wait for the screen. But the best way to handle the situation is turn on the key, THEN put your jacket, helmet, and gloves on. By that time you can push the mode button, start, and be on your way. You don't lose time waiting that way.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Once in a great while the bike will start w/o having to wait for the screen to change. Also, if you restart within about 4 or 5 minutes of turning it off you don't have to wait for the screen. But the best way to handle the situation is turn on the key, THEN put your jacket, helmet, and gloves on. By that time you can push the mode button, start, and be on your way. You don't lose time waiting that way.
    That is our routine. At least we are busy doing something productive instead of watching the instruments.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With the Monster ECU Flash - it's an option to bypass the Mode Button or not - it's not a given - you have to ask for it.

Any 1330 motor should allow you to press the Mode button as soon as the bike registered the key is on - even before the screen has booted up. There is a split second timing though where you can turn the key on and press the mode button where it won't work - which is why I say "as soon as the bike has registered the key on." It's actually running the key RFID through the DESS module to the ECU to verify the key is valid before it'll start - and I suspect that is happening quickly at the point of the key turning on - which is why too fast on the mode button doesn't work.

Older Spyders you have to wait till it's fully booted.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black