Spyder Garage

Default "USB MALFUNCTION" connecting iphone to 2020 RTS

Just replaced my 2014 RTS with a 2020. Great so far, except I cant get the USB connection working with my iPhone X. When I plug into the USB outlet in the glove box, the dash shows USB Malfunction. I have tried several cables, all of which will transmit data when connected to my computer.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1374.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Either check the battery and make sure the connections are tight and the battery is really good. OR Take it to dealer. Could be the USB is not connected in behind.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimFoy View Post
    Just replaced my 2014 RTS with a 2020. Great so far, except I cant get the USB connection working with my iPhone X. When I plug into the USB outlet in the glove box, the dash shows USB Malfunction. I have tried several cables, all of which will transmit data when connected to my computer.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1374.jpg
    Nice ride JimFoy , LOVE that color!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Either software update is needed. Cables can be a issue. Or your phone settings or compatibility could be a issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Either software update is needed. Cables can be a issue. Or your phone settings or compatibility could be a issue
    Definitely cables - I've had to replace a USB cable used on my RTL that was causing BRP connect to lose it occasionally. Especially - if your phone's connection is the older "micro-usb" and not "usb-c" - check that cable. The connector gets ratty quicker than you think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimFoy View Post

Any suggestions?

IMG_1374.jpg
    My 2020 Spyder did the same thing. I have an iPhone. I tried everything to get my iPhone charging again. I finally turned off my iPhone for a couple of minutes. When I turned my iPhone back on and plugged it back in, there was no more USB Malfunction.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; Yesterday at 03:18 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Obione View Post
    My 2020 Spyder did the same thing. I have an iPhone. I tried everything to get my iPhone charging again. I finally turned off my iPhone for a couple of minutes. When I turned my iPhone back on and plugged it back in, there was no more USB Malfunction.
    There has been a lot of water under the bridge between when this question and potential answers were posted in 2020, and your reply, Obione, with all sorts of upgrades to BRP Connect/Go to attempt to address issues like this. You are on the right track though. It appears that if you have a number of apps open, that definitely impacts the ability to charge, as charging power through the glove box port is limited. Turning off your phone also turns off the apps, meaning your phone is now able to charge, at least until you re open lots of apps again

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red