Spyder Garage

Default 2008 sm5 starting issues

Hello all,
    I have a 2008 sm5 with 4500 miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with next to no miles on it and had no issues for the first year. Around this time last year I was riding home from work and got stuck in traffic and the bike started to run hot (it was almost 100 degrees). I kept shutting it down to cool it off but eventually my gauge cluster started going crazy. After I got out of the traffic it ran fine coming home but it had a check engine light, abs light and traction light. Now when I go to start it those 3 lights are on and when I hit the start button it just clicks and the gauges just cycle like they do when you first turn the key. I don’t think it’s the battery itself because it’s new. I also have to figure out the overheating issues, this 2008 always ran 1 bar hotter than my 2010 se5. The fan is working as it should, would you all recommend changing the thermostat once I get it running.

Thank you for any help

Spyder Garage

Have the battery load tested first, that will make your dash do all kinds of crazy things! The over heating, did you check your coolant level, if you have lost any take your right hand side cover, down by your foot and look in there and see if you have any coolant laying around in there, there's a water pump that may be leaking from the weep hole! Just had one go on my 2012 RTL! Good luck let us know how you made out!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WMO87 View Post
    Hello all,
    I have a 2008 sm5 with 4500 miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with next to no miles on it and had no issues for the first year. Around this time last year I was riding home from work and got stuck in traffic and the bike started to run hot (it was almost 100 degrees). I kept shutting it down to cool it off but eventually my gauge cluster started going crazy. After I got out of the traffic it ran fine coming home but it had a check engine light, abs light and traction light. Now when I go to start it those 3 lights are on and when I hit the start button it just clicks and the gauges just cycle like they do when you first turn the key. I don’t think it’s the battery itself because it’s new. I also have to figure out the overheating issues, this 2008 always ran 1 bar hotter than my 2010 se5. The fan is working as it should, would you all recommend changing the thermostat once I get it running.

Thank you for any help
    I had an 08 also, and it ran HOT especially if the ambient temps were in the upper 90's ..... removing the lower plastic pan helped .... I also used the right side air scoop to feed cool air into the throttle bodies ( not hard to do with alumin. dryer vent hose - PM me for more info ) .... I also put PVC plumbing " elboe's " into he both upper plastic side panels with small computer fans in them ..... end of over-heating issues ....also use STAR washers on the Batt. terminals - they won't / can't loosen by themselves then ...... good luck .... Mike