Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I understand new owner issues with Spyders. But, if you look at the history of Jap bikes they started selling in the USA in the Sixties and Seventies. I would hope by now they are getting it right. They are all Middle Aged companies. Can-Am started selling here in 2007. Just a teenager now. Sure I have had issues, but Can-Am made good on repairs. I have had more problems with Dealers than Can-Am. With all of the Tech on Spyders jammed into a package this size they are not that undependable. They are one of the few engineered as a three wheeler available. Check the price of the others. Spyder is competitively priced. So I'll get off my soapbox now. Enjoy your new Spyder and good luck finding a good dealer.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    American quality has been dropping since corporate America decided to go for "rape-me" level profits. That's why so many things are foreign made - because corporate America doesn't pay it's workers enough to afford an American-built product of the same level of quality as foreign made.
    So what does this have to do with the Spyder? Made in Canada.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with you Doug, considering the RTL is BRP's "flagship" product, its quality has a lot to be desired. Here in Aus an RTL will set you back $45,000. My wifes car new cost $14,000 and is better built. soap box back in the cupboard
    Last edited by askitee; 08-17-2020 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typos
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Paul, your comment #25 has lot of merit. On the GW which we were both previous owners, remember digging deep in the guts of the machine just to change the air filter? Gosh that was fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Paul, your comment #25 has lot of merit. On the GW which we were both previous owners, remember digging deep in the guts of the machine just to change the air filter? Gosh that was fun.
    Then you'd LOVE to check the valves on a Honda VFR 800 Interceptor.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It would be nice to keep this civil. I hinted to this in post #10 above.

"the site is called Spyder Lovers...not Spyder Haters. Let's not go there."

I also gave the option of voting with your checkbook. If you think that they are so bad...don't buy them. One should do due dilligence on a $30K purchase. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. I like Kool-Aid and I am now on number six. Yes, they are not perfect, they do have some quirks...but I totally love my two Spyders. I would do the same thing all over again.

Totally agree on drinking the Kool-Aid. We're a 3 Spyder family and it's quite likely we'll be a 4 Spyder family within the next couple of months.

For us it's simple. No Spyder means no riding. And we want to ride.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

As stated in another thread, if any of the Japanese Big 4 built a Spyder type vehicle, BRP would be in a world of hurt ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    As stated in another thread, if any of the Japanese Big 4 built a Spyder type vehicle, BRP would be in a world of hurt ...
    And they would have to try harder to make a good bike. Perhaps they would succeed.

In the mean time I am happy that it is built or at least assembled in Canada, part of North America B.T.W, with an engine that is built by people, Austrians if I believe what I've read, being paid first world wages. That is more than I can say about most of the motorcycles on North American roads at the moment.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When there comes a time in your life that you need three legs to hold you up and keep you from falling over, and you want to continue riding with the wind in your face, you're gonna need three wheels. For many of us it is just an unavoidable fact. So, it's ok to criticise the faults built into your ride, but don't be hateful about it. We all come to this site to find help and hopefully correct the problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    ...only because Joseph Lucas didn't build their electronics. And yet ask any 1200 Goldwing owner about changing the alternator when the plug that connected it to the Rectifier fried and took them both with it.
    Some of those (and others) were so bad they had a reputation built around them. Lucas, Prince of Darkness. Or how the 1200 'Wing alternator problem was so bad, aftermarket companies designed and built/sold brackets to add car alternators instead of replacing the OEM unit that would inevitably fail yet again.

So far, after about 3k miles, my 2018 RTL hasn't had any issues other than stripped bolt heads. That's not a manufacturing flaw but a purchasing flaw. (BRP should have bought train loads of RED Loctite instead of the yellow stuff.) I'm planning on buying another Can Am in the next few month/year as I think the F3 will suit my riding better than my RT does. I understand the possible issues and I'm still willing to buy another. After 3k miles, my OE Kendas seem to be wearing well and provide decent traction, too. (Of course, that could change rapidly and the Kanines or aftermarket tires are probably better.)

To each, his own. Semper Fi. E Pluribus Unum.

HAGO!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I doubt it, seriously.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
    I understand new owner issues with Spyders. But, if you look at the history of Jap bikes they started selling in the USA in the Sixties and Seventies. I would hope by now they are getting it right. They are all Middle Aged companies. Can-Am started selling here in 2007. Just a teenager now. Sure I have had issues, but Can-Am made good on repairs. I have had more problems with Dealers than Can-Am. With all of the Tech on Spyders jammed into a package this size they are not that undependable. They are one of the few engineered as a three wheeler available. Check the price of the others. Spyder is competitively priced. So I'll get off my soapbox now. Enjoy your new Spyder and good luck finding a good dealer.
    I agree that the Spyder's weak spot is the lack of dealer support in most of the country. It's not the engineering or quality control.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think that given time the Big 4 could give BRP a run for their money, but besides the engineering it takes time and to learn how to assemble a new product and not make mistakes or omissions. new assembly lines need to have bugs worked out, new assembly procedures need to be learned, revised, streamlined. It all takes time and Cam Am has a 12 year head start which they will need to work hard to maintain. I too like my Spyder and will stick with it. I would buy a new one today if I had the money.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I think that given time the Big 4 could give BRP a run for their money, but besides the engineering it takes time and to learn how to assemble a new product and not make mistakes or omissions. new assembly lines need to have bugs worked out, new assembly procedures need to be learned, revised, streamlined. It all takes time and Cam Am has a 12 year head start which they will need to work hard to maintain. I too like my Spyder and will stick with it. I would buy a new one today if I had the money.
    I like what you are saying. A few years ago, I would have jumped on the first Japanese Spyder-type lock, stock, and barrel. Money is also an issue these days now that I am retired and no longer teaching on the side.

Today, I would adopt a wait and see for a couple years at least, to see how everyone else likes them. (beta testers).

I am guessing a first version would be a little less than what we are used to, and for a little more money. The old "sell it for what the market will bear." They know there are some who are going to jump on them right now, regardless, if and when.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    ...For us it's simple. No Spyder means no riding. And we want to ride.
    No truer words, and sure better than the alternative.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like what you are saying. A few years ago, I would have jumped on the first Japanese Spyder-type lock, stock, and barrel. Money is also an issue these days now that I am retired and no longer teaching on the side.

Today, I would adopt a wait and see for a couple years at least, to see how everyone else likes them. (beta testers).

I am guessing a first version would be a little less than what we are used to, and for a little more money. The old "sell it for what the market will bear." They know there are some who are going to jump on them right now, regardless, if and when.
    I purchased the first model Yamaha Venture made in 1983. That machine packed my wife and me all over the western US several times over several years in a row without so much as even a hiccup. It had all the bells and whistles that my 14 RTS has today with the exception of the paddle shift and the on the fly rear suspension adjustment. One of the two most reliable and best rides I've ever owned. My guess is that all the big 4 Japanese companies have in their possession one or all of BRP's model spyders, and have digested all their faults and have refined models of their own ready to build and market in the not too distant future.

Spyder Garage

I think the Japanese bike lovers are in luck with offerings from Yamaha and Honda. The Honda NeoWing sure looks a lot like an F3S.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I purchased the first model Yamaha Venture made in 1983. That machine packed my wife and me all over the western US several times over several years in a row without so much as even a hiccup. It had all the bells and whistles that my 14 RTS has today with the exception of the paddle shift and the on the fly rear suspension adjustment. One of the two most reliable and best rides I've ever owned. My guess is that all the big 4 Japanese companies have in their possession one or all of BRP's model spyders, and have digested all their faults and have refined models of their own ready to build and market in the not too distant future.
    Now that is a coincidence. I also purchased a new 1983 Yamaha Venture, but bought mine as a left over model in 1984. I also drove that one all over the place and it never gave me any major repair problems. That was my first "Cadillac" bike. I also test drove a Wing at the same time, but the Venture won out for me.

I also have a 2014 RTS and in 43,000 miles so far...no problems with it either. Its the Yellow one in the signature below.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that is a coincidence. I also purchased a new 1983 Yamaha Venture, but bought mine as a left over model in 1984. I also drove that one all over the place and it never gave me any major repair problems. That was my first "Cadillac" bike. I also test drove a Wing at the same time, but the Venture won out for me.
    Yep, easily accessible oil filter, and air filter, shaft drive, adjustable headlight from the driver's seat, cassette player accessible to the driver, never any valve adjustments, and 4 powerful cylinders that got a constant 50 MPG at any speed on regular gas. When Yamaha comes out with their reverse 3 wheel leaning cruiser........... well, BRP may become history. Ha, got 43k on my 14 also.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

American quality has been dropping since corporate America decided to go for "rape-me" level profits.
    Only partially true. In 1958 my brother was ecstatic that his car tires lasted 16,000 miles. My 1970 Dodge station wagon was shot at 100k miles. Now we have 50k to 80k mile tires and the 2005 Nissan Maxima I just turned over to my daughter is running strong at 130k miles. BTW, the Maxima, and my Titan, are American made in Canton, MS. John Deere tractors and Caterpillar crawlers are sold all around the world and hold their own against any foreign made machine. An engineer I worked with in the mid-80's came from General Motors. At that time they designed and manufactured for a target of 7% defect rate. The bean counters determined that. Soooooo, quality is greatly variable around the world and among all manufactured products. But all in all, it is much higher today than 50 years ago. Years ago when I was working in Quality Assurance one quality guru said if you wanted to see examples of some of the poorest quality in the world, he could show it to you ......... in Japan!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    And they would have to try harder to make a good bike. Perhaps they would succeed.

In the mean time I am happy that it is built or at least assembled in Canada, part of North America B.T.W, with an engine that is built by people, Austrians if I believe what I've read, being paid first world wages. That is more than I can say about most of the motorcycles on North American roads at the moment.
    I believe in the connection between a luxury vehicle and the number of problems reported. The spyders are on the pricey side and of course they don't sell as well as a standard motorcycle.

As mentioned above - I think Can-Am is putting out a fine product built and doing it paying first-world wages.

Spyder Garage

I believe in the connection between a luxury vehicle and the number of problems reported. The spyders are on the pricey side...

As mentioned above - I think Can-Am is putting out a fine product built and doing it paying first-world wages.
    You reckon? If you look closely I think you'll find China cast into the rear wheel. You can be sure it's not the only part.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

I have a new 2020 RTL also but have never heard of anti-dirt force shield,can you explain. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    After the first two weeks of ownership, I found that the anti-dirt force shield has totally and completely failed with no warning of any kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    I have a new 2020 RTL also but have never heard of anti-dirt force shield,can you explain. Thanks
    Hi Lawrence, I dunno if you'll understand my Australian accent too well (after all, we do call it 'Strine where I am Down Under. ) but here in Oz, that's what we call 'takin the piss outta you!'

So, at the risk of continuing the facetious bent of some of the posts/posters in this thread (et tu, Lawrence? ).... he was joking; having a dig; having you on; pulling yer leg; or like I said above, he's takin the piss outta you!

Except it's not strictly directed at YOU Lawrence - in his original post, it was directed at ALL his potential readers... Basically, they're all expressions meaning to mock, tease, joke, ridicule, or scoff. It's a joke at the readers expense..... or maybe it's really a joke ON Threewheels.... or at least his Spyder?? But then, my 'anti-dirt force shield' gets better/thicker/stronger every time I ryde, except when it rains of course... then some of it washes off! .
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.