Spyder Garage

Default HELP! Stripped out tranmission plug

Of course what seems like the simplest tasks to do has turned into a bit of a nightmare. I got the T45 oil drain plug out without much issue, however the 6mm allen/hex transmission plug has now been stripped. I have tried a few things like lock wrenches to try and grab the smallish area of the bolt, but no luck.

Really need suggestions please!

Thank you,

john
    2015 F3S , Black/Chrome/Red

Spyder Garage

if you can find this tool locally it will probably work...go to amazon.com and type in vampliers in the search to get to the tool....i have 2 pairs of them different sizes and used them for stripped bolts..they do work!! Hopefully u can get them locally since you need them in a hurry...If your having trouble finding the page on amazon.com i can take a pic of my 2 tools to send you...good luck!

Spyder Garage

Ive also used this tool to remove stripped allen head bolts from the side case of my Ultra...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pick a torx head bit one size larger than the 6mm allen head bit, cram it all the way into the allen plug and then remember, right tight, left loose. Then replace those dam things with quality aftermarket hex head plugs. Lots of luck.

Spyder Garage

You can glue a tool into the stripped out hole using JB Weld. You need to let it sit a day. But this has worked for me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I tapped some out with a small chisel against the edge of the plug angled in the unscrew direction. Don't need to bump it too hard. The slight impact when you tap the chisel will get it started turning. Once it backs out about half a turn you can back it on out with pliers. Sometimes you have to remove the plastic cover so you can get the chisel on the plug. You have to jack it up or run it up on ramps to have enough room to work under there.

Same trick usually works removing stripped bolt heads or Phillips heads. For small screws use a very small center punch to get the screw turning.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks ALL! Yes, a torx hammered in a bit did the trick!

john
    2015 F3S , Black/Chrome/Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNSpyderGuy View Post
    Thanks ALL! Yes, a torx hammered in a bit did the trick!

john
    Glad you got it out ..... what might have helped you was the " Hammered it in a bit " .... these plugs have a tendency to " varnish lock " .... and respond well to hitting them fairly hard before trying to get them out .... I also set my rachet to loosen BEFORE I try to use it .... it is easy to forget that when using it " upside down " to forget it's now " rightly " to loosen ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I tapped some out with a small chisel against the edge of the plug angled in the unscrew direction. Don't need to bump it too hard. The slight impact when you tap the chisel will get it started turning. Once it backs out about half a turn you can back it on out with pliers. Sometimes you have to remove the plastic cover so you can get the chisel on the plug. You have to jack it up or run it up on ramps to have enough room to work under there.

Same trick usually works removing stripped bolt heads or Phillips heads. For small screws use a very small center punch to get the screw turning.
    On my first RT, even the Svc Tech couldn't get it loose, but he used the chisel method and told me about it. Later, on a newer RT, had same prob and the chisel worked great. Didn't take much of a tap to get it loose.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)