Spyder Garage

Default P0340 Replacing camshaft Position Sensor

Got the dreaded Limp Mode on the way home yesterday on a 2016 RT-S. Code was P0340. Rumor has it that the sensor is fairly easy to replace. I'm willing to give it a try since my dealer is 35 miles away and they want to send a tow at $3 a mile next month. Next available appointment is Sep 10th.

Is there a Youtube video to show how to do it? How about some hints like which panels to remove, left or right side? Whatt to look for and where?

Thank s for any help.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

I did mine a couple weeks ago,just pull panels like you were gonna change oil and you will see sensor hiding behind oil filter housing.Its got a 10mm screw holding it in,you may need a kid to help you bc its a tight area.I left the plug on the sensor until it was free from the eng bc it seemed like it would be easier that way.Just snug bolt back in,doesnt seem to fussy about torque,just dont snap it off in eng.Start it and lite should go off in about 30 seconds,thats it.While you have plug of check for broken/bent pins or broken wires just like you would with any elec problem.Theres always a chance it could be a wiring problem,but these things are known for bad sensors around 15,16,17.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

spyder01: Thanks for the info on changing the sensor. I'll give it a try after I find which panels to take off to do an oil change.

Dealer did the last 2 oil changes.

Thanks again.
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the right side

Spyder Garage

In my case, the P0340 fault did not affect the engine rpm or 70 MPH speed while driving on the freeway. So I drove the spyder to the dealer and had it replaced. Third party extended warranty paid for the repair.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This was my experience last year on my previous Spyder RT

In praise of GS Jet Tech

I was on my way last Wed night on my Spyder (2015 RT SE6 with 20,000 miles on it) to meet up with a mate to travel by car to visit a friend in Germany
    I was going to my Daughters in Reading to stay overnight ready to meet up at 03:30 Thursday morning
    Spyder running great but just near Whitchurch on the A34 I noticed a flashing warning symbol in the dash followed by the Orange screen of Death (Limp Mode)
    Spyder still running ok and would still maintain 60-65 mph
    Check the code at my Daughters and it showed P0340 = Camshaft Position Sensor

I did not need to use the Spyder until my return Journey this Sunday my choice was do I ride it 80 miles home and then have to get it to a dealer or should I ride it the 75 miles to GS Jet Tech in London
    I had checked the Spyderlovers website and there has been a few failures with the Camshaft Position Sensor
    But it was ok to still ride it

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...osition+sensor

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...osition+sensor

I rang GS Jet Tech from Germany Thursday and spoke to “J” he said they would fit me in Monday morning

Today I rode up to GS Jet Tech from Reading and a new Camshaft Position Sensor was fitted, fault cleared and after a test ride all was ok
    Rode the 138 miles home no issues
    Great service from all at GS Jet Tech considering it was at short notice
    Thanks Guys
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

How did you access the bolt to replace the sensor? The part has two reinforcing ridges, and I cannot get a wrench on it. The tab for the cable tie down is so close to the bolt that I cannot get a socket on it. I torx allen type key may work, but would be going in at an angle because of the cable tie bracket. I have the part, but cannot seem to deal with the bolt.

Thanks
    2016 RT-S SE6 White
    5000 miles