Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinion on Fox Podium 1.5 front shocks

Am asking a question in what I think will be a future need. I didn't ask this question before I bought my Elkas and regret that.
    I think that in the not to distant future my Elkas will fail again and am I looking at replacing the fronts with the Fox shocks. This model has been suggested to me by a very trustworthy source but I am wondering if I can get any "reports from the field" of anyone who may have them on an RT or ST.

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Ive been thinking about Elkas bc they are adjustable but I wonder if theyre still having the leaking problem.The Fox shocks arent adjustable,correct?Are your shocks newer units or older?
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Am asking a question in what I think will be a future need. I didn't ask this question before I bought my Elkas and regret that.
    I think that in the not to distant future my Elkas will fail again and am I looking at replacing the fronts with the Fox shocks. This model has been suggested to me by a very trustworthy source but I am wondering if I can get any "reports from the field" of anyone who may have them on an RT or ST.

Thanks in advance.
    I would advise not getting them..the springs are very soft/weak...I would call M2 Shocks...much better...for a few dollars more.. you get a much better product..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    I would advise not getting them..the springs are very soft/weak...I would call M2 Shocks...much better...for a few dollars more.. you get a much better product..
    Interesting reply. Our Can Am accessory shocks have firm springs that compliment the internal valving. Fox retailed for a few bucks over $500 for the pair of front shocks. M2 is about double that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Interesting reply. Our Can Am accessory shocks have firm springs that compliment the internal valving. Fox retailed for a few bucks over $500 for the pair of front shocks. M2 is about double that.
    You are right they are double...but... you get what you pay for...a much better quality product.

Spyder Garage

Shocks Tires Oil Seats all in the eye of the Beholder. Depends a lot on how and where you ride. I personally would never buy another Elka. I had the Fox Podium 1.5 on my F3S and liked them a lot Rode with my friend he put his Elka stage 5 on and took them off and went back to Fox Podium 1.5's. Good luck with Your choice!

Spyder Garage

You are right they are double...but... you get what you pay for...a much better quality product.
    Longtime friend purchased a M2 for his motorcycle. Based his choice on various things, but a lot was what he had read about them. He has already had to send it back a few times because it was incorrectly setup. He thinks after three tries it may now work. M2 apparently put the blame on the guys in the shop.

Those shocks do look promising, but are very expensive, possibly Spyder shocks are not having similar issues. My friends M2 was for his race bike and he knew not to ride it as it was that far off. Guessing, next setup he will have me revalve it when needed.

Spyder Garage

It's to bad the Elka's still having a leaking problem, would think that they would have it fixed by now!! I wonder how many other people out here are having the problem, or is it a isolated case!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Good thing I saw this, I was just considering getting an Elka for the rear. The PO of my '14 put the Fox shocks on the front and yes, they're adjustable. Since I don't have anything to compare them to I can't say if they're better/worse than anything else, but they look like they've been on there a while and no leaks.

If the M2s are twice the price, not sure I can go there.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I haven't read anything much about the newer Elka's having a seal leak. I know they had a bad run a few years ago. I had a pair of those. However, once I took them to my local suspension guy, he was able to fix them and I never had any issues with them afterwards. It was totally annoying and did cost $$, since they were outside of the warranty period, but they do work brilliantly.

The manufacturer does recommend getting them serviced regularly, so some of the leaks could be from people who aren't doing the regular servicing.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Exactly!

I beg to differ. I have 21k VERY HARD miles on mine and with proper adjustment (and a recheck for sag every so often) they still feel like new! In fact, as a test, I put too much preload on the springs for kicks and giggles and the suspension would "hop" over bumps.... that tells you the springs have more than enough "spring rate"! And on top of it all, no leaks, no fade and they work in PERFECT harmony with the Fox R2 I have out back....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post

Thanks in advance.

Ive had Fox shocks on the front of my 2013 STS (not sure the same type Fox you are referring to) for 7 years 18,000 miles. I’ve had one go bad about 3 years ago, not sure why. No other problems since. I know that’s not many miles for some of you though.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I haven't read anything much about the newer Elka's having a seal leak. I know they had a bad run a few years ago. I had a pair of those. However, once I took them to my local suspension guy, he was able to fix them and I never had any issues with them afterwards. It was totally annoying and did cost $$, since they were outside of the warranty period, but they do work brilliantly.

The manufacturer does recommend getting them serviced regularly, so some of the leaks could be from people who aren't doing the regular servicing.
    These are about 3 years old. The first repair was done by their west coast service center. The 2nd and 3rd was done by SDHQ in Gilber , AZ. From what I could find out they have a reputation for knowing what they are doing.

Thanks for the info from all of you. We will just see what the future holds for these.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Exactly!

I beg to differ. I have 21k VERY HARD miles on mine and with proper adjustment (and a recheck for sag every so often) they still feel like new! In fact, as a test, I put too much preload on the springs for kicks and giggles and the suspension would "hop" over bumps.... that tells you the springs have more than enough "spring rate"! And on top of it all, no leaks, no fade and they work in PERFECT harmony with the Fox R2 I have out back....
    That's fine for one up riding..you go two up.. different story...the fox bottom out...I'm glad the fox works out for you ...but for me....nope!!...this is for the rear..the front springs is soft too...I hit the brakes hard it dives... everyone is different..and that was my experience..and I got rid of them.

Spyder Garage

So just to be clear, the consensus is that the stock Fox podium shocks are comparable/just as good to the problematic Elka’s? The Fox Podium 1.5 shock’s are stock right?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst105 View Post
    So just to be clear, the consensus is that the stock Fox podium shocks are comparable/just as good to the problematic Elka’s? The Fox Podium 1.5 shock’s are stock right?
    Nope .. The F3-S has Fox Podium fronts and generic soft rear. Podium 1.5's are a $850 upgrade for the front and the Podium 2 rear is $970.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Nope .. The F3-S has Fox Podium fronts and generic soft rear. Podium 1.5's are a $850 upgrade for the front and the Podium 2 rear is $970.
    Has anyone taken a measurement of the oem Fox Podium shocks to check the body diameter.

Pretty certain the aftermarket shocks got the Kashima coatings. If oem is 1.5, then guessing maybe a shim stack change on the valving and possible spring change.

FWIW, Kashima is nice but not truly needed unless pushing the extreme limits of grip constantly.

Spyder Garage

3282.jpg
    PMK....I don't know what the diameter is compared..but the new ones are larger...and the springs.

Spyder Garage

FWIW, Kashima is nice but not truly needed unless pushing the extreme limits of grip constantly.
    There really are so few of us!! I know my wingman wonders if there is actually something wrong with me.....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

3282.jpg
    PMK....I don't know what the diameter is compared..but the new ones are larger...and the springs.
    Measure the diameter of the shock body, that should be how they determine the 1.5 series. Maybe its the photo, but both shocks appear to be the same diameter of the body.

As for springs, yes they appear different. Spring perch changes are often done with firmer springs and must be done with larger springs.

Is the 1.5 running a Fox spring or a BRP spring?

Spyder Garage

Measure the diameter of the shock body, that should be how they determine the 1.5 series. Maybe its the photo, but both shocks appear to be the same diameter of the body.

As for springs, yes they appear different. Spring perch changes are often done with firmer springs and must be done with larger springs.

Is the 1.5 running a Fox spring or a BRP spring?
    3286.jpg3284.jpg
    The diameter is larger by far..and double the weight..it appears to be a brp spring.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone taken a measurement of the oem Fox Podium shocks to check the body diameter.

Pretty certain the aftermarket shocks got the Kashima coatings. If oem is 1.5, then guessing maybe a shim stack change on the valving and possible spring change.

Just checked with my calipers. The OD of my stock front F3S Podium shock body is 1.68"/42.8mm. FYI ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Just checked with my calipers. The OD of my stock front F3S Podium shock body is 1.68"/42.8mm. FYI ...
    Likely a 1.5” bore, meaning a 1.5 setup.

One big difference, but semi useless if setup correctly is having adjustable rebound.

As for the weight difference, kind of irrelevant in many ways. A firmer spring will weigh by a bunch.

Before Fox started coating with Kashima, they used a pretty good hard coat, most times gray in color. Since Fox sells so much oem bicycle suspension, and one way to degrade your competition is to by and your contracted companies. Word is Fox bought the Kashima deal a few years ago, and controls it.

Similar to these Spyder shocks, Fox sells various tiers of oem suspension. They, in some markets, sell the Mack Daddy top shelf stuff on their own.

Regarding shocks for Spyders, I still wish Ohlins would come to the party. Every conversation with them I ask. Seems Sweden has no interest in Spyders, and does not offer the option to Ohlins USA.

Spyder Garage

3286.jpg3284.jpg
    The diameter is larger by far..and double the weight..it appears to be a brp spring.
    Oh boy, a comedian. You are taking your Race Tech shock and comparing it to a Fox shock.
    FWIW, Fox has some of the best ability to design individual parts and machine them. Their stuff never needs a Jenny Craig diet.

I am seeing the Race Tech shock weighing in at over 6 pounds, the Fox is about 3 1/2 pounds. If you notice the spring pitch, Fox used a coarser pitch, or BRP did. Saves weight, but can also make the spring more lively. Downside is if compressed beyond a certain point repeatedly, they tend to fail easier. Simply a trade off. Fine pitch springs last longer, but are kind of tame in feel.

Whatever though, Fox vs Race Tech...Bob Fox vs Paul Thede, interesting comparison.

Spyder Garage

Oh boy, a comedian. You are taking your Race Tech shock and comparing it to a Fox shock.
    FWIW, Fox has some of the best ability to design individual parts and machine them. Their stuff never needs a Jenny Craig diet.

I am seeing the Race Tech shock weighing in at over 6 pounds, the Fox is about 3 1/2 pounds. If you notice the spring pitch, Fox used a coarser pitch, or BRP did. Saves weight, but can also make the spring more lively. Downside is if compressed beyond a certain point repeatedly, they tend to fail easier. Simply a trade off. Fine pitch springs last longer, but are kind of tame in feel.

Whatever though, Fox vs Race Tech...Bob Fox vs Paul Thede, interesting comparison.
    Hey it's Sunday...let's have some fun...comparing is fun and provides valuable information. I learned a lot from spyderlovers.