Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmmm. Appears that BRP uses Fox. No news here. But are we all talking about the same thing????? I'm talking about the after market Fox Podium 1.5. I doubt that is what BRP is using as an OEM shock. Have any of you purchased this shock beside ABQSpyder, and if yes, what did you think of them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Hmmmmm. Appears that BRP uses Fox. No news here. But are we all talking about the same thing????? I'm talking about the after market Fox Podium 1.5. I doubt that is what BRP is using as an OEM shock. Have any of you purchased this shock beside ABQSpyder, and if yes, what did you think of them.
    True 1.5 have improvements over oem stuff, typically more advanced coatings they use on race bikes, likely a firmer spring, and a tweak to the shim stack as needed.

The real question to learn an answer to is to find out what shop is revalving oem Fox shox and bumping the spring rate a bit. Done correctly, it will cost less and outperform the aftermarket 1.5 stuff.

Spyder Garage

Reviving this thread. Can anyone here actually verify if the Podium 1.5 shock has a stiffer spring rate than the OEM Podium? $850 has to buy something? Race-Tech/Elka/M2 are all in the general $$ vicinity..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Reviving this thread. Can anyone here actually verify if the Podium 1.5 shock has a stiffer spring rate than the OEM Podium? $850 has to buy something? Race-Tech/Elka/M2 are all in the general $$ vicinity..
    I just bought a pair of Fox Can Am Accessory front shocks from a Can Am Dealer on ebay for $400 pair/new. Unfortunately, I will not be able to install them for a few months. They are slick looking, eye candy....I hope they perform like they look.
    Someone on a prior post mentioned that they swapped out their oem shocks with Fox shocks giving it a slightly firmer ride quality.......
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish they had them around that price for a 2013 ST-S. Over $1000 is ludicrous.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I just bought a pair of Fox Can Am Accessory front shocks from a Can Am Dealer on ebay for $400 pair/new. Unfortunately, I will not be able to install them for a few months. They are slick looking, eye candy....I hope they perform like they look.
    Someone on a prior post mentioned that they swapped out their oem shocks with Fox shocks giving it a slightly firmer ride quality.......
    Still available on EBay for F3L. $400 new. Can Am Accessories number 219400733
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Still available on EBay for F3L. $400 new. Can Am Accessories number 219400733
    Yup .. I see that, but their HAS to be differences between that shock and the Podium 1.5 SKU 219400515 ? Valving, spring rate ?? I am working with Trackside Suspension in Darien. They have done great work on my prior FZ09 and 800 Tiger. They're digging into suspension options for me.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Wish they had them around that price for a 2013 ST-S. Over $1000 is ludicrous.
    I got those on my 2015 RS per recommendation from bajaron and they fit and work fine. Quite few other RS ryders have used them and probably work on ST too.
    I paid $259 from eBay but that was 2 years ago.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I got those on my 2015 RS per recommendation from bajaron and they fit and work fine. Quite few other RS ryders have used them and probably work on ST too.
    Cool, thank you for the information.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    Hey it's Sunday...let's have some fun...comparing is fun and provides valuable information. I learned a lot from spyderlovers.
    Did you have Race Tech shocks on your F3 prior to installing the M2's ? If so, thoughts or comparisons ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Did you have Race Tech shocks on your F3 prior to installing the M2's ? If so, thoughts or comparisons ?
    What shocks and specifically what version is on your Spyder currently? If your setup has either hard coated or Kashima bodies, that is a respectable upgrade from non coated bodies.

You mention that you are working with a suspension tuner, he should have an Intercomp or similar spring tester. Have the oem spring tested then decide if upgrade springs are needed.

If you setup has Kashima coated bodies, you are close already, work with your suspension tuner and have him respring if needed and then revalve the shim stacks. I have said it before, I am no Fox fan boy, but they certainly build a very good product to work with. There are only a few top tier suspension companies, typically Kayaba, Showa, Ohlins, WP, and Fox. The smaller companies such as Wilburs, Elka, Penske, Race Tech, M2 and others can build good stuff, but not always. Being smaller they do have an ability to try and focus on a specific model others may not. Case in point was when I wanted Ohlins on the Spyder. Apparently Ohlins in Sweden has no interest in Spyders or did not at the time.

If your suspension shop is a full line Ohlins dealer, it is possible they could mix and match bodies and shafts to build Ohlins. This is what Ohlins NA suggested. Assuming your shop has a shock dyno, they can easily mimic, then optimize the shim stacks.

I have not been inside our BRP Fox shox, out of the box they worked very well, and at under $400 was a great value.

All the best in your quest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    What shocks and specifically what version is on your Spyder currently? If your setup has either hard coated or Kashima bodies, that is a respectable upgrade from non coated bodies.

You mention that you are working with a suspension tuner, he should have an Intercomp or similar spring tester. Have the oem spring tested then decide if upgrade springs are needed.

If you setup has Kashima coated bodies, you are close already, work with your suspension tuner and have him respring if needed and then revalve the shim stacks. I have said it before, I am no Fox fan boy, but they certainly build a very good product to work with. There are only a few top tier suspension companies, typically Kayaba, Showa, Ohlins, WP, and Fox. The smaller companies such as Wilburs, Elka, Penske, Race Tech, M2 and others can build good stuff, but not always. Being smaller they do have an ability to try and focus on a specific model others may not. Case in point was when I wanted Ohlins on the Spyder. Apparently Ohlins in Sweden has no interest in Spyders or did not at the time.

If your suspension shop is a full line Ohlins dealer, it is possible they could mix and match bodies and shafts to build Ohlins. This is what Ohlins NA suggested. Assuming your shop has a shock dyno, they can easily mimic, then optimize the shim stacks.

I have not been inside our BRP Fox shox, out of the box they worked very well, and at under $400 was a great value.

All the best in your quest.
    I have a 2019 F3S, so standard with the Fox Podiums. The suspension shop did mention that they might be able to rebuild my shocks. Like you, they have never had a Fox shock apart. Since we're talking (2) shocks, the cost to disassemble/clean-polish/revalve/re-spring/re-charge/etc , would likely make it cost prohibitive versus getting new shocks. Plus, they'd still be a basic preload adjustment only. I'd go aftermarket route just to have a spare pair. They checked in to building a pair, but again, would be cost prohibitive using Penske/Ohlins parts. Wilbers is more $ and taking longer times with Covid/shutdowns. They are 'technically" a Elka dealer, but are not recommending them. I'll keep the reasoning private. They deal quite a bit with R-T, as they can still get components, and many R-T components can be used with good results with other shock products. They deal direct with R-T, and since I'm a prior customer, they will work with me a bit. Race Tech has specs/dimensions on F3 LTD and F3 shocks. Since they're being custom built for my specs, they have no concerns about building me a set of custom shocks for my F3S. They said I could send them one of my OEM shocks if I had a concern, but they thought not necessary. Finding info on the Fox Podium 1.5's is tough. My request to BRP was "escalated", and that response was "contact your local dealer for the best information". I used to sell PT at my local dealer, and know the parts mgr very well. When I posed him that question, he laughed and said they don't have any technical info on the accessory shocks. He put in a technical request to Can-am but that could take awhile. Not many Race Tech Spyder shock owners. One on Facebook really likes his. We shall see....

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 F3S, so standard with the Fox Podiums. The suspension shop did mention that they might be able to rebuild my shocks. Like you, they have never had a Fox shock apart. Since we're talking (2) shocks, the cost to disassemble/clean-polish/revalve/re-spring/re-charge/etc , would likely make it cost prohibitive versus getting new shocks. Plus, they'd still be a basic preload adjustment only. I'd go aftermarket route just to have a spare pair. They checked in to building a pair, but again, would be cost prohibitive using Penske/Ohlins parts. Wilbers is more $ and taking longer times with Covid/shutdowns. They are 'technically" a Elka dealer, but are not recommending them. I'll keep the reasoning private. They deal quite a bit with R-T, as they can still get components, and many R-T components can be used with good results with other shock products. They deal direct with R-T, and since I'm a prior customer, they will work with me a bit. Race Tech has specs/dimensions on F3 LTD and F3 shocks. Since they're being custom built for my specs, they have no concerns about building me a set of custom shocks for my F3S. They said I could send them one of my OEM shocks if I had a concern, but they thought not necessary. Finding info on the Fox Podium 1.5's is tough. My request to BRP was "escalated", and that response was "contact your local dealer for the best information". I used to sell PT at my local dealer, and know the parts mgr very well. When I posed him that question, he laughed and said they don't have any technical info on the accessory shocks. He put in a technical request to Can-am but that could take awhile. Not many Race Tech Spyder shock owners. One on Facebook really likes his. We shall see....
    Many thoughts to consider. As for Fox shox, Podiums are a type or series, they can have all sorts of levels or variations and this makes it very confusing. To clarify, I never took our Spyder shocks apart yet. I have rebuilt, revalved and modified a lot of Fox shox from the mid 1970s to current stuff. These Fox shocks are pretty typical with body type IFP. I can not comment on the pricing your suspension tuner charges and the items he requires to be replaced. Regarding Race Tech, I have used many of their products also, just not complete shocks. Paul Thede and his crew are not known for the shocks they offer, but more for spares and hop up items plus tools. Regarding info on the Fox Podiums, you can suspect the springs might be from BRP and I do not know their vendor. Our Spyder Fox shox came with BRP springs which was a not expected but not a concern. Regarding the need for clickers on a Spyder, the truth is very few people ever even adjust them, AND, the need to adjust after finding a sweet spot is seldom done. My opinion on clickers in regards to Spyders is that it is a great profit maker for the shock companies, looks cool and costs more. Well set up valving seldom needs clickers to be very good on road machines. Race bikes yes, off road without doubt. Well all the best with your decision, maybe post a photo of the Fox dampers you currently have, guessing they are the same but likely smaller bore and no Kashima coatings.

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of my OEM 2019 Fox Podium shock. Only identifier on the spring is likely its part # 706001771
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of my OEM 2019 Fox Podium shock. Only identifier on the spring is likely its part # 706001771
    Looks like you have the shocks cranked up a bit.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    If you have a 2013-2016 RS, RSS, ST then these shocks work great! I've recommended them to many skeptics. I don't blame people for being leery when the item isn't listed for your application. Usually, this is not a good sign. But in this case, the fact that people selling these have no idea that they work just fine on these Spyder models won't hurt you at all. Buy them, ride them and enjoy! You will be impressed!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Looks like you have the shocks cranked up a bit.
    Yup ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Am asking a question in what I think will be a future need. I didn't ask this question before I bought my Elkas and regret that.
    I think that in the not to distant future my Elkas will fail again and am I looking at replacing the fronts with the Fox shocks. This model has been suggested to me by a very trustworthy source but I am wondering if I can get any "reports from the field" of anyone who may have them on an RT or ST.

Thanks in advance.
    I had a 2014 ST with the Fox Podium shocks from the factory. Never had any complaints, nor any failures. Given it was my first Spyder, and very different from my current RTL, I can say that it cornered better than the RT, but the ST is also over 200 pounds lighter and lower to the ground, so I can't say definitely how much the shocks affected the handling.

The RT is somewhat smoother but it feels a bit roly-poly in corners compared to the ST. The Fox shocks had adjustable preload, and the RT does not, so you may consider that an advantage.

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

My opinion as a suspension tuner AND Spyder owner / rider, you have base Fox Shox on there. Unless you are planning to compete, the dampers themselves, they are likely adequate for your machine. It does appear you have a bit of preload added. Did you wind the preload collars down to increase preload and if so do you know about how much you added?

As I mentioned previously, Fox dampers from BRP or as oem Spyder shocks come with springs identified by a BRP part number. There is no identification / conversion chart to show dimensions and spring rates. Saying all that, and since you have suspension shop you work with, measure and note the preloaded spring length with the shock fully extended. Next, while supported in the vehicle, loosen the spring preload collars fully, this will require supporting the vehicle on the chassis not on the suspension arms. Remove the shocks, then remove the springs. Measure and note the springs free length, the springs inside diameter and outside diameter.

Hopefully your suspension tuner has a an Intercomp or equivalent spring tester and can give you the springs rate after negating any end conditioning effects. With that info in hand, message me back and I can see what options for springs may be out there for you.

I know, you are going to get concerned that with a firmer spring the damping will be inadequate. Possibly, but unlikely. Compression damping, being primarily impact related requires an extreme variation in rider weight or worse, rider ability and terrain. Rebound damping is purely spring control force. It takes a lot of increased spring rate to require a damping change in rebound, provided as is was close.

That said, Fox typically does a very good job at setting up out of the box internal valving. Again, I am not a Fox Fanboy at all, just have plenty of experience with their products.

If I were in you situation, I would first spend the couple hundred and respring the vehicle correctly, set ride height to optimum, not focus on sag since the travel is so little measuring those percentages are difficult and unknown for Spyders.

Entirely your choice, realize the springs support, the damping controls. Plus the best dampers with incorrect springs suffer badly.

All the best with it.

Spyder Garage

"My opinion as a suspension tuner AND Spyder owner / rider, you have base Fox Shox on there. Unless you are planning to compete, the dampers themselves, they are likely adequate for your machine. It does appear you have a bit of preload added. Did you wind the preload collars down to increase preload and if so do you know about how much you added?"

I did ramp up the preload. OEM setting was basically in the middle. Wanted to increase ride height a touch to avoid scraping..

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Well ... Today I pulled the trigger on a pair of Fox Factory Series 1.5 Podium R shocks from a dealership in PA. They were able to confirm that these shocks, do indeed, have firmer spring rates and valving compared to the F3S standard Podium. They are running a demo F3S with the shocks on. It made it an easier decision with a shipped cost of $395. Although they're being shipped tomorrow, being in WI, I won't be using them for a couple months. The next week looks NASTY !!
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ma...orecast/331530

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    My opinion as a suspension tuner AND Spyder owner / rider, you have base Fox Shox on there. Unless you are planning to compete, the dampers themselves, they are likely adequate for your machine. It does appear you have a bit of preload added. Did you wind the preload collars down to increase preload and if so do you know about how much you added?

As I mentioned previously, Fox dampers from BRP or as oem Spyder shocks come with springs identified by a BRP part number. There is no identification / conversion chart to show dimensions and spring rates. Saying all that, and since you have suspension shop you work with, measure and note the preloaded spring length with the shock fully extended. Next, while supported in the vehicle, loosen the spring preload collars fully, this will require supporting the vehicle on the chassis not on the suspension arms. Remove the shocks, then remove the springs. Measure and note the springs free length, the springs inside diameter and outside diameter.

Hopefully your suspension tuner has a an Intercomp or equivalent spring tester and can give you the springs rate after negating any end conditioning effects. With that info in hand, message me back and I can see what options for springs may be out there for you.

I know, you are going to get concerned that with a firmer spring the damping will be inadequate. Possibly, but unlikely. Compression damping, being primarily impact related requires an extreme variation in rider weight or worse, rider ability and terrain. Rebound damping is purely spring control force. It takes a lot of increased spring rate to require a damping change in rebound, provided as is was close.

That said, Fox typically does a very good job at setting up out of the box internal valving. Again, I am not a Fox Fanboy at all, just have plenty of experience with their products.

If I were in you situation, I would first spend the couple hundred and respring the vehicle correctly, set ride height to optimum, not focus on sag since the travel is so little measuring those percentages are difficult and unknown for Spyders.

Entirely your choice, realize the springs support, the damping controls. Plus the best dampers with incorrect springs suffer badly.

All the best with it.
    I contacted the suspension shop to arrange to bring in one of my OEM Podium shocks, along with the new Factory R 1.5's. They'll measure/take spring rates and dyno them. Won't be for at least another 10 days, as it will be too damn cold in my unheated garage. High temps next week only expected to get up to, at most, 10*s

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Got my answer today from BRP re: spring rates. Not a lot of difference between stock Podium's on F3-S versus the spring rate on the accessory 1.5's..

The springs that came stock on unit: Part number 706001771

Spring Rate N/MM + / - 0.88 --- 32.5
    Spring Rate LB/Inch + / - 5 --- 185.6

The ''Fox Factory Series 1.5 Podium'' spring : Part Number 706002254

Spring Rate N/MM + / - 0.88 --- 34.0
    Spring Rate LB/Inch + / - 5 --- 194.2

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Well ... Today I pulled the trigger on a pair of Fox Factory Series 1.5 Podium R shocks from a dealership in PA. They were able to confirm that these shocks, do indeed, have firmer spring rates and valving compared to the F3S standard Podium. They are running a demo F3S with the shocks on. It made it an easier decision with a shipped cost of $395. Although they're being shipped tomorrow, being in WI, I won't be using them for a couple months. The next week looks NASTY !!
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ma...orecast/331530
    What dealer in PA.? And did you contact them direct? $400 sounds very inexpensive vs. $700 or more. But I'm on an 2020 RT. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Got my answer today from BRP re: spring rates. Not a lot of difference between stock Podium's on F3-S versus the spring rate on the accessory 1.5's..

The springs that came stock on unit: Part number 706001771

Spring Rate N/MM + / - 0.88 --- 32.5
    Spring Rate LB/Inch + / - 5 --- 185.6

The ''Fox Factory Series 1.5 Podium'' spring : Part Number 706002254

Spring Rate N/MM + / - 0.88 --- 34.0
    Spring Rate LB/Inch + / - 5 --- 194.2
    Times 2 since you have each side, and you are starting with firmer rate from ride height to full travel. Plus each inch of shock travel is 10 lbs more per side.

While the springs are off, measure extended free length, and inside diameter. Note this for reference later if needed.

An important consideration, I do not recall seeing posted is the weight of the rider.