Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default RTL 2020 Mirror Wedgies

Hi All,

The mirror wobble has gotten progressively worse on our 20 RT Limited as we have put more miles on it. Based on other posts it seems that wedgies were in the works but could not find if they are available.

Anyone have any more info?
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

I talked with Joe Meyer (Squared Away) at the Deadwood Rally and he said they're still in the works. He's been pretty busy lately, but hopes it won't be too much longer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2020 RT mirrors are the same as the F3T/L mirrors. You have (2) options. First, you can buy the wedgies. It's my understanding that there's someone on this forum who developed them and may still sell them. I know Slingmods also sells them so the forum member may have sold out to Slingmods. The 2nd option is through LaMonster. He has a video out that shows how he fixed the issue by drilling a hole, tapping same and installing a bolt to tighten things down. I don't know if Lamont is selling his special drill bit or not.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here you go look at this as a DIY project https://www.lamonstergarage.com/cam-...3-and-2020-rt/
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Here you go look at this as a DIY project https://www.lamonstergarage.com/cam-...3-and-2020-rt/
    Thanks. Sounds like a super simple solution. Will give it a whirl this weekend
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
    The 1/4 - 20 combo drill/tap used in the Lamonster video is made by Kline Tools, and is available at Graybar Electrical Supply and other Kline suppliers. I have the full Electrician's set ganging from 6-32 through 1/4 - 20. Electricians like myself have been using specialty tools like these and Triple Taps for ages.
    Another vote for Lamonsters' fix. It worked for me. I already had a drill set to drill a 1/4" hole. I threaded the hole with a 1/4-20 tap I bought at Home Depot for about $6.00 and a couple of 1/4-20 screws. I couldn't find stainless steel, so I used brass screws.
    Zip Zam Zowie and SWOOSH..... All Fixed.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
    The 1/4 - 20 combo drill/tap used in the Lamonster video is made by Kline Tools, and is available at Graybar Electrical Supply and other Kline suppliers. I have the full Electrician's set ganging from 6-32 through 1/4 - 20. Electricians like myself have been using specialty tools like these and Triple Taps for ages.

Another vote for Lamonsters' fix. It worked for me. I already had a drill set to drill a 1/4" hole. I threaded the hole with a 1/4-20 tap I bought at Home Depot for about $6.00 and a couple of 1/4-20 screws. I couldn't find stainless steel, so I used brass screws.
    Zip Zam Zowie and SWOOSH..... All Fixed.
    I found a problem with Lamonsters fix.
    After a time, the mirrors start to shake again.
    The metal screws, threaded into plastic holes started to back out, loosen the mirrors thus allowing them to shake again, albeit far less than the original problem.
    I didn't think anything like Locktite would work, so I wrapped the screws with teflon tape, typically used to seal plumbing joints.
    I'll see if this holds up.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I found a problem with Lamonsters fix.
    After a time, the mirrors start to shake again.
    The metal screws, threaded into plastic holes started to back out, loosen the mirrors thus allowing them to shake again, albeit far less than the original problem.
    I didn't think anything like Locktite would work, so I wrapped the screws with teflon tape, typically used to seal plumbing joints.
    I'll see if this holds up.
    Loctite or a dab of finger nail polish I would think may help
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I trailered my 2020 Spyder to MN this summer and noticed that my mirror was looser after getting there. I will try the Lamonster solution.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Thanks, I trailered my 2020 Spyder to MN this summer and noticed that my mirror was looser after getting there. I will try the Lamonster solution.
    If it's still under warranty why wouldn't you go for the mirror fix from BRP, it free???
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If it's still under warranty why wouldn't you go for the mirror fix from BRP, it free???
    Mine is still under warranty but I could purchase the kit from Lamonster and install it myself for less than it would have cost me to take it back to the dealer plus I would have lost at least a half a day doing it.

Yes BRP has a fix for it at no cost but I do not know what their fix is. I do know that the Lamonster fix works.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right Shooter, I did the Lamonster fix, it was easy and I knew it worked. I could have had my dealer do it, but I ride there 50 mins and back 50 mins and my tech said they had some returns on the BRP fix. I fact, my tech wanted the lamonster web site to order some kits.

Spyder Garage

I'm a little confuse with BRP concerning the vibrating mirror problem. I had a 2012 RT with no mirror vibrations. I recently purchased a 2020 RTL with the left mirror vibrating. BPP doesn't think its an issue, therefore doesn't have a fix? What is the difference between the left mirror and the right mirror? My right mirror doesn't vibrate. I re-tighten the 3 bolts in the left mirror and seen to help a little. I'm almost due for the 3K oil change and plan to ask the dealer about this issue.

Spyder Garage

I have a new 2020 RTL. Same issue, but BRP does have a fix. It won’t be a recall since it’s not considered a safety issue. My dealer has just ordered the parts for me. I gave him the part numbers as used by Shawn Smoak in Vancouver WA. You’ll need 4 of each as follows:
    708400550 - anchorage, mirror,
    207551044 - flange hex screw.
    232561200 - nut, stop, elastic.
    Cost should be about $65.
    My parts guy said they are listed at BRP so it shouldn’t be an issue to get hold of them..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DesHaggerty View Post
    I have a new 2020 RTL. Same issue, but BRP does have a fix. It won’t be a recall since it’s not considered a safety issue. My dealer has just ordered the parts for me. I gave him the part numbers as used by Shawn Smoak in Vancouver WA. You’ll need 4 of each as follows:
    708400550 - anchorage, mirror,
    207551044 - flange hex screw.
    232561200 - nut, stop, elastic.
    Cost should be about $65.
    My parts guy said they are listed at BRP so it shouldn’t be an issue to get hold of them..
    They are giving you a deal, list is about $75. It probably is the best way to fix it but I really can't imagine why they just don't fix all of them like this.

About 9 minutes into the video he shows the parts, very easy fix with some expensive nice parts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGRw...ature=youtu.be
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

You shouldn't be paying any dealer anything for this fix on a 2020 RT as it's a BRP fix to a production fault. If you get charged your getting hosed. 3 of us had ours done this week at NO CHARGE by BRP dealer here in BC, Canada.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

You are absolutely correct, this should be a BRP fix without a charge back. It's going to be interesting the next time my '20 RTL goes in to get service.

Spyder Garage

Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
    Hi All,

The mirror wobble has gotten progressively worse on our 20 RT Limited as we have put more miles on it. Based on other posts it seems that wedgies were in the works but could not find if they are available.

Anyone have any more info?
    Apparently, BRP now markets kits that convert the loose mirrors from clip-on to bolt-on. My dealer has ordered several sets; no word yet on deliveries.
    2023 900 Sport , Nitro Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryu1867 View Post
    Apparently, BRP now markets kits that convert the loose mirrors from clip-on to bolt-on. My dealer has ordered several sets; no word yet on deliveries.
    Any info on this kit ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Any info on this kit ?
    The kits can now be ordered from BRP dealers and are free of charge. Service dept. will install, takes 10-15mins. Bolts replace lower clips.
    Just had mirrors on my 2020 RTL upgraded - now rock solid!
    2023 900 Sport , Nitro Blue

Spyder Garage

The kits can now be ordered from BRP dealers and are free of charge. Service dept. will install, takes 10-15mins. Bolts replace lower clips.
    Just had mirrors on my 2020 RTL upgraded - now rock solid!
    Wow, every now and then BRP will own up to a screw up!!!! Good for you guy's!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer responded to my email, they will order the kit and get it done when I come in for the 3K service.

Spyder Garage

As soon as anyone has a part number, please PM me! I have gap issues with Wedgies on the 2020. Simple is better! Thanks! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Just had my 2020 RTL mirrors fixed at dealer no charge. They ordered the new mirror repair kits and installed today. Took 1/2 hour for both and now they bolt on with 2 bolts at base of mirrors under back covers. Mirrors are solid now no vibration. I have no part number info etc. As dealer ordered, installed and no paper work. Now I can see who is behind me.
    NOTE - these are installed by dealer tech at NO COST as a warranty fix.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!