Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Dash Cam Mini Mounted To The Ryker (Video)

I purchased this Garmin Dash Cam Mini last December and being on sale for $79 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. A couple of months back I ordered several extra mounts for it so that I could pop it on and off from vehicle to vehicle. It automatically starts to record when you start the vehicle, and it stops when you shut the vehicle off. Its controlled from an app on your phone and it actually works pretty good. You can review, download, or save videos and access all settings from the app. It senses if you're in an accident and automatically saves the video so that it doesn't get written over. It also saves the first 30 seconds and last 30 seconds before and after the accident.

It has a picture taking function (button on the back side) if you want to take a snapshot of something, or you could do it from the app. I use a 64 gig micro SD in it and it gives me about 4 or 5 hours of video before it starts to loop over and re-write. It can run longer if you lower the resolution to something like 720P. It measures 2" x 1-1/4". This is a video that I did of it.

2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW, thats great. Do you have two of them? One on your helmet plus one on the wind screen???

The pictures are excellent, love your editing.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

How do you have it wired so it only comes on when the Ryker is started?

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    I purchased this Garmin Dash Cam Mini last December and being on sale for $79 bucks, I couldn't pass it up. A couple of months back I ordered several extra mounts for it so that I could pop it on and off from vehicle to vehicle. It automatically starts to record when you start the vehicle, and it stops when you shut the vehicle off. Its controlled from an app on your phone and it actually works pretty good. You can review, download, or save videos and access all settings from the app. It senses if you're in an accident and automatically saves the video so that it doesn't get written over. It also saves the first 30 seconds and last 30 seconds before and after the accident.

It has a picture taking function (button on the back side) if you want to take a snapshot of something, or you could do it from the app. I use a 64 gig micro SD in it and it gives me about 4 or 5 hours of video before it starts to loop over and re-write. It can run longer if you lower the resolution to something like 720P. It measures 2" x 1-1/4". This is a video that I did of it.

Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    WOW, thats great. Do you have two of them? One on your helmet plus one on the wind screen???

The pictures are excellent, love your editing.
    I just have the one Garmin mounted on the windscreen. The first minute or so of the video was shot using the JVC helmet cam, It was used to just show the Garmin mounted on the windscreen. The rest of the video is shot from the windscreen mounted Garmin, you can see the time and date stamp on the Garmin video in the lower left hand corner of the screen. Its always there and it wont let me get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garydj View Post
    How do you have it wired so it only comes on when the Ryker is started?
    Its USB powered, so I have it plugged into one of the two USB slots in the glovebox. The USB ports are only powered if the Ryker is on, when the Ryker is off, there is no power to those ports. The Garmin automatically powers on and starts recording as soon as the Ryker is started, and powers off when the bike is turned off, since its a dash cam, its designed to do that in any vehicle. So basically you can hook it up and forget about it because its always on when your riding, and it powers off when you shut the bike off.

If you want to review the video, you can do that either on your phone using the app, or you can pop the unit off its mount and plug it into the USB slot on your computer and either view, download, save, or delete the video. The camera comes with two USB power cables (5' & 10' long). I use one on the Ryker and I use the other on my computer to download video. One of the cables is extremely long for use in a larger vehicle such as a car or my GMC truck, the longer one is used in that situation because it allows you to route the cable so its hidden.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition