Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Epic Spyder Fails

This thread is dedicated to the stupid sh-tuff we all did that we totally knew better but did it anyway. It is meant to be both jovial and educational at the same time. If you intention is to bash any posters, you missed the point and I'd respectfully request you keep it to yourself... I'll start.

Our garage is quite full, with our boat, the quad, the Spyder, and all my tool boxes. So we decided to take the boat out this past weekend for some sun and relaxation. "John, should you move the Spyder out of the way before you pull the boat out?" "It's okay Honey, there's plenty of room between the boat and the Spyder" Famous last words...

Spyder Scratch.jpg

Ya know, the worst thing that can happen is when your lovely wife can legitimately use the phrase "I told you so..."

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ouch!

Spyder Garage

Installed new brake pads on my RT. I was also changing oil and filters so multitasking was the plan for the evening. Got everything changed, assembled, and torqued to spec. I was cleaning up my area when I took a close look at the old brake pads. "Man those rear pads look like new." They were. I installed the old pads back into the caliper.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Installed new brake pads on my RT. I was also changing oil and filters so multitasking was the plan for the evening. Got everything changed, assembled, and torqued to spec. I was cleaning up my area when I took a close look at the old brake pads. "Man those rear pads look like new." They were. I installed the old pads back into the caliper.
    Think we’ve all done something like that. Fortunately with muscle memory, it seems to go a little quicker the second (or third) time...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I was working on my compressor and i had the rear cargo assembly off. After i had finished remkvi g compressor and associated other parts, i put the rear cargo assembly back on. I thought that went well, until i noticed a black piece of plastic on the other side of the garage. I thought what could that be. Picked it up and i said a few choice words to myself. It was the inner fender that slides in the back frame and keeps crap off of the shock area. Had to remove rear cargo assembly to reinstall the inner fender. It took an extra 45 minutes or so. Finally got it all back together. I needed practice anyway. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Moving my new RTL into A 10x12 storage shed. Trying to get as close as possible to the back wall so I stood on the footboards and leaned forward to see the nose. Gently gave is some gas and then missed the brake pedal when it was time to stop! Put a nice deep gouge in the sharp edge of the frunk lid. I made 2 immediate purchases: touch up paint and a bigger brake pedal from Lamonster!

Spyder Garage

Back in 2011 or so.....Late March, early April....wanted to take the Spyder out for the first ride of the year. The roads were clear of ice and snow except for the snow and ice that had not melted in the driveway.

So....backed the 2010 RT out of the garage. Had to make a U-turn so that I could power through the slush forward. Well...got stuck in the muck right at the edge of the driveway. The more I gunned the engine to get out, the deeper I dug the back wheel into the soupy gravel. I buried that back wheel and the drive belt got broke in the process.

The tow/extraction was $150, the belt was $280, the install was another $150 or so. Not bad for that first spring ride that never happened. I have wrote about this before, but seemed appropriate in this new thread. I surely took some stupid pills that morning.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-12-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Deleted
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I plead the 5th...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    Deleted
    In truth, I could so see myself doing that... I thought it was comical before you deleted it.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    I plead the 5th...
    Chicken... LOL

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

I am happy to say that I won't be posting here! Because I do not make mistakes! Just don't ask Lamont, or Harvey, or Daniel, or my wife..... Definitely (PLEASE!) don't ask my wife!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Ohhhhh, you guys are making me feel soooo much better.

Spyder Garage

The motto permanently enshrined at the bottom of all my posts says it all! Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

When I first bought my Spyder I dutifully read the operator's guide and watched the video disc that came with it. I believe it was in the op guide that it said to always hand move the machine from the right side so you could use the brake to stop it. One day, while on the left side of the bike I backed it out of the garage onto the driveway that had a slight lateral down slope to a natural area with several large trees. Soon the bike gained a bit more speed than I was comfortable with but there I was, ON THE WRONG SIDE, and I had only one way to stop the bike, with my RIGHT Foot. After a quick, "This is going to hurt," I shoved my foot in front of the rolling rear wheel. Yes, I stopped it but it HURT, big time; fortunately no broken bones.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can truthflly say that I have never.................oops.......... I gott'a go I hear thunder outside.

Spyder Garage

Just two days ago while trying to start my RT. It was parked in the driveway that is short with a very steep reclined. I was standing on the left side when I mistakenly pushed the parking brake button. Somehow I just missed the pickup parked across the alley.
    Very exciting running next to a Spyder while turning the handlebars as the side of your neighbor's pickup gets closer, and not being able to brake!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When I first bought my Spyder I dutifully read the operator's guide and watched the video disc that came with it. I believe it was in the op guide that it said to always hand move the machine from the right side so you could use the brake to stop it. One day, while on the left side of the bike I backed it out of the garage onto the driveway that had a slight lateral down slope to a natural area with several large trees. Soon the bike gained a bit more speed than I was comfortable with but there I was, ON THE WRONG SIDE, and I had only one way to stop the bike, with my RIGHT Foot. After a quick, "This is going to hurt," I shoved my foot in front of the rolling rear wheel. Yes, I stopped it but it HURT, big time; fortunately no broken bones.
    June 13th this year (not a Friday) I came home from riding the Mirror Lake Highway, I put the Spyder in the trailer. As I got off the Spyder on the left side I remembered that I left something in the frunk. It was to close to the front of the trailer and I couldn't open it. I thought " I'll just release the parking brake and let it roll back a little and re apply the parking brake". Doesn't work. It rolled back out of the out of the trailer me hopping along with it until we went down the ramp then I fell and the Spyder rolled over my ankle breaking it. It goes across the lawn and stops and sits there laughing at me. Seven weeks later I am just getting back to riding. Oh did I mention it was my right ankle? I am going on a nice long ride with my friends this Saturday, over Mirror Lake Highway daja vu all over again?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Retire View Post
    In truth, I could so see myself doing that... I thought it was comical before you deleted it.

John
    Thanks but I thought it was off topic when I re-read it so just removed it.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It wasn't my Spyder, so I hope it still counts.
    Finished a project with the bike, oil change or something. Putting my tools away. Missing a #&)#*%& screwdriver. Had to take everything apart to find where in the bike I left it.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Deleted
    Thanks but I thought it was off topic when I re-read it so just removed it.
    Please don't do this people!! It HURTS the Forum & threatens its continued operation.

The facility to delete your own threads was removed for the same reason; the time window for editing your own posts has recently been restricted further because of exactly this being abused (unlike your 'innocent' deletion Glenn ); and if too many Users continue deleting post content &/or this occurs too often, then the 'edit post' facility is likely to be removed entirely.... that is, IF it doesn't force the closure of the place!!

So please, if you have posted something that's been up for more than just a few moments and now you want it gone, then DO NOT EDIT IT & REMOVE ITS CONTENTS - instead, just PM or email a Mod/Admin here & (with some caveats) we will remove it from public view.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I guess Peter I don't understand what the problem is with deleting your OWN post! If you was trying to delete some one else post yes I see that!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It hurts the Forum's standing on all the internet search engines out there Mikey, and THAT really hurts the continued viability of the Forum & so ultimately, threatens its continuation. So IF you want to delete a post of yours that's more than just a short while old; or you want to gut the contents of a post you made more than just a minute or so back, PLEASE DON'T - instead, just contact a Mod so that we can use the facilities that we have access to that you DON'T have access to and we can do it for you in a way that won't harm the Forum quite so much....

I don't see why this is such a biggie; you can still get things deleted, you just hafta ask, and by doing so, you'll be helping to keep this place alive for us all to share?! But just like the 'Delete your own thread' facility was removed because it was hurting the Forum's continued viability; and more recently like the 'Edit your own Post' facility was restricted to just one day because some people who should've known better were abusing the feature (or was it malicious?? ) - but regardless, indiscriminate deleting of posts &/or gutting their content hurts the Forum, SO PLEASE, DO NOT DO THAT!

You can all help, firstly by thinking BEFORE you post, we really don't object to 'fine tuning' or spelling corrections etc; but If you have posted something anything more than just a min or so back that you now want to remove or delete, PLEASE, just ask a Moderator instead of gutting it &/or replacing it with something like 'Deleted' - we can remove it from the public pages in a way that isn't quite so damaging, and by doing so, YOU will be helping to keep the Forum open for us all to use, share, and discuss our various Spyder/Ryker experiences - and you do want to do that, don't you??

It's that simple really - do you like the place, and having access to the Forum?? If you do, then PLEASE DO NOT GUT YOUR POSTS OR DELETE THEIR CONTENT ONCE POSTED! Ask a Mod/Admin instead.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2020 at 05:46 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

As much as I respect you and your opinion, and your title, it must be way over my pay grade and will have to say that I will have to agree to dis agree on this one sorry!!! Thank you for your time, I am just a dumb welder and don't see the problem! I will try to behave myself!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Ok, I'll fess up.

Not too long after getting the Spyder, I go out one morning and it won't start. Well dang it, what the hell? Since I don't have time to deal with it at the moment, I'll look at it when I get home.

Well, didn't have time that afternoon, so I researched a bit and everyone seems to think it may be a weak battery or bad connections. Well, the connections are clean and tight, and since I've only had it a couple months and have no idea how old the battery is so... off to Batteries Plus. get home, connect everything up and.... still won't start. Well damn, I'm out of the 30-day "warranty" from iMotorsports so I'm on my own.

Any guesses as to what I missed?
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange