Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RTS audio upgrade including an amp.

I see some of the guys have upgraded their audio with the 2 ohm JBL GTO 528 speakers with decent success, but see those speakers have now been discontinued. I also see mention of the 2 ohm kicker speakers being used.
    I'm looking to step outside the box with a bit of a different audio install on my wife's Spyder RTS.

First off, I am curious if anyone has upgraded their dash speakers from 5.25" to 6.5"?

I see the odd person has added an amp. So I am curious as to where the main control module is mounted in order to tie into the speaker output channels to connect to my amp.

The amp I am considering using is the 4 channel Stinger SPX 700 and I would like to try and install a set of Mmats PA 601.4cx in the dash if possible. Not sure what I'm going to use in the rear pods yet. I happen to have some 4" MB quarts, but still open to ideas.
    I am sure you may wonder why that amp and those speakers.
    They are extremely popular amongst Harley riders for their great sound and above average volume as a combo, which I can confirm as I currently run them on my 05 Ultra Classic HD. The stinger is a class D amp, powersport ready, and waterproof..
    Plus I just happen to have both laying around.

Spyder Garage

Wow, 95 sensitivity on the MMats.... really high compared to others... but only play down to 120 hz...

Been looking for something to put in our F3's...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Wow, 95 sensitivity on the MMats.... really high compared to others... but only play down to 120 hz...

Been looking for something to put in our F3's...
    Awesome sounding speaker. I run them on my Harley. Don't let the120hz scare you away. They have enough thump i can feel it on my chest on my 05 Ultra Classic HD. Lots of 6.5" Speakers claim to play lower frequencies, but the fail to deliver or don't play loud enough. I give the Mmats on my HD 150 watts, and my wife says I drown out her Spyder RTS speakers even when I'm a 1/8th to a 1/4 mile ahead of her. Figured the best solution was to try and fit the Mmats in her bike. Another great Speaker is the DB Moto WDX6 G2'S at 103 DB efficiency, but they need an EQ or DSP to tune the highs down a little.

Spyder Garage

I realize this is an old thread, but was wondering if there was any update on audio upgrades.
    Anyone else add an amp and upgrade the speakers.
    Has anyone tried to upgrade to a 6.5" speaker in the fairing. I've done that on lots of Harleys with an adapter ring. Just curious if anyone has tried it on a 2016 RTS.
    With any luck it will work, if not I'm considering trying out the 5.25" Polk MM 1 speakers in the fairing and the rear pods.
    How about amps, anyone install an amp?
    I'm planning to install a Stinger SPX 700 at 4 x 100 watts.
    I've used them on Harleys in the past as well. I don't see to many issues with the amp install.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As far as adding an amp check out the outputs from the audio unit that go to the optional CB radio. I believe they are variable line level that feed the amp internal in the CB that is used to drive wired headsets.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman280 View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but was wondering if there was any update on audio upgrades.
    Anyone else add an amp and upgrade the speakers.
    Has anyone tried to upgrade to a 6.5" speaker in the fairing. I've done that on lots of Harleys with an adapter ring. Just curious if anyone has tried it on a 2016 RTS.
    With any luck it will work, if not I'm considering trying out the 5.25" Polk MM 1 speakers in the fairing and the rear pods.
    How about amps, anyone install an amp?
    I'm planning to install a Stinger SPX 700 at 4 x 100 watts.
    I've used them on Harleys in the past as well. I don't see to many issues with the amp install.
    I answered your questions in another thread .... I swapped ( only ) the speakers in 14 RT .... they are JBL 2 ohm 5.25in. F & R .... and my system now plays louder ( with very good clarity ) than I'm willing to listen to .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike in your looking around have you seen another speaker that is comparable to the JBL you used?
    For the person wanting to know where the pre 2018 radio is located it is under the right passenger hand grip.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Mike in your looking around have you seen another speaker that is comparable to the JBL you used?
    For the person wanting to know where the pre 2018 radio is located it is under the right passenger hand grip.
    I haven't been looking for quite awhile ..... a year or so back someone found a Marine speaker, that was 3 ohm's in 5.25in. .... I can't remember what brand it was tho ......Mike ....