Thread: Gas Cap Leak

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap Leak

Purchased the 2020 Spyder RT. Have an occasional problem with gas leaking from the gas cap area. Dealer replaced the cap with a new one and I still have the same problem. Doesn't happen all the time but generally after a fill up or if I have a partial tank and am riding in a hilly area.

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this. Dealer seems stumped...

Spyder Garage

If the dealer is stumped you have a dealership problem. Tell them to open a case with BRP and fix it on their nickel, even if it means replacing the gas tank.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If the dealer is stumped you have a dealership problem. Tell them to open a case with BRP and fix it on their nickel, even if it means replacing the gas tank.

These machines are $35k new here in Halifax. If anyone at a dealership said they were stumped or didn't know where to go next, BRP would have an earful when I was done making the dealers ear ring for a bit!

That is a lazy, "You're not worth my time" answer and equivalent to saying "Go ""blank"" yourself." Obviously they are too lazy to check.

Tim
    Last edited by MrMagicFingers; 08-11-2020 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Purchased the 2020 Spyder RT. Have an occasional problem with gas leaking from the gas cap area. Dealer replaced the cap with a new one and I still have the same problem. Doesn't happen all the time but generally after a fill up or if I have a partial tank and am riding in a hilly area.

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this. Dealer seems stumped...
    If two caps were tried and it's still leaking then a defective gas tank is the only other cause that I can see as a possibility ..... ie. the filler neck is mis-shaped ..... hard to believe but what else would cause leaking ............. Mike PS, I always fill my 14 RT the the brim of the fill neck ..... and never had a leak from the cap

Spyder Garage

This may be related or not to the issue. A few days ago after a few hour ride I could hear a faint whistling sound. I traced the whistle to my fuel cap and when I open the cap the whistle stopped. Not sure if air was trying to get in or out but I would think the vent (wherever it is) should have prevented this to begin with.
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L

One additional comment before it is ask. It is possible this occurred after a fill-up but don’t remember for sure. Happened only once and I will pay closer attention in the future. Not trying to hijack thread but trying to add additional info. to the discussion.
    Last edited by Poasttown; 08-11-2020 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Spyder Garage

took the bike to the dealer on the weekend and left it for diagnosis/repair. will let you know the end result.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like they need to replace the whole tank unit

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Spyder Garage

Dealer could not duplicate the problem so I have the bike in my possession again. They keep coming back to me overfilling the tank on hot days but I know that's not the case. As per BRP they asked me to keep an eye and record when it happens - full tank, half tank, weather temperature, riding conditions etc... I asked what the action plan is and sounds like they will start replacing parts only as per BRP's authorization. I can understand that intermittent problems are impossible to fix so I will work with them and see what happens. Didn't want to be without the bike for the rest of the riding season so I will ride for the next couple of months, record when it happens and take it back late fall and insist on replacement of any and all parts that could possibly be associated with this issue.

My one question for the experts out there is whether its possible for gasoline to escape through the gas cap when under pressure?

Spyder Garage

It's really not suppose to, but the hard part is that you got to get down and dirty with this thing and make it happen and see exactly where this gas is coming from, the cap, neck of the tank!! If the caps getting a good seal from the top of the neck to cap, and the gas isn't come out threw the vent in the cap! I had a sled years ago the had a crack in the neck of the tank, made a hell of a mess and gave me a lap full of gas!! It's hard with out seeing it to give you much help!!But we can give you lot's of support!!!Good luck Let us know what it turned out to be!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thank you Mikey, your thoughts are greatly appreciated !!!! Will definitely keep the post update as I work through the resolution with the dealer and BRP...

Spyder Garage

Took the bike to the dealer where I purchased and left it for almost 1 week. They could not duplicate the problem so gave it back and asked me to keep an eye on it and report when it happens. Don't think they even contacted BRP.

I was on my 2nd ride since getting it back when it happened again. Strong gas smell and when I pulled over and popped the seat there was gas outside the cap again. I Opened a case myself with BRP and will now take it to a different dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Took the bike to the dealer where I purchased and left it for almost 1 week. They could not duplicate the problem so gave it back and asked me to keep an eye on it and report when it happens. Don't think they even contacted BRP.

I was on my 2nd ride since getting it back when it happened again. Strong gas smell and when I pulled over and popped the seat there was gas outside the cap again. I Opened a case myself with BRP and will now take it to a different dealer.

Might you share how you opened a case with BRP yourself??????

Cheers - and best of luck with this potentially dangerous situation - gas under seat.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Just go to their website

https://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

There is a tab near the bottom of the page "contact us". Just fill in the form and send. It usually takes a day or 2 for them to respond.

Spyder Garage

Spencer, it's a poor thing that you had to open the case with BRP yourself but your original do nothing dealership gave you no recourse. One of the things you might consider is riding a few times before taking it to another dealership and recording the mileage, time and temperature of the rides particularly if the cap leaks on any of them. Then you have some data for the new dealership to use to try to replicate the problem. That way the dealership can't just ride it around the block and say, "We found no problem." The only down side is they'll be logging miles on your Spyder and you won't be having any fun; but you'll make it up later with peace of mind and, hopefully, a problem that never recurs once the dealership has fixed it.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just go to their website

https://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

There is a tab near the bottom of the page "contact us". Just fill in the form and send. It usually takes a day or 2 for them to respond.
    Thank you
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Great advice, I will do this. Will post updates as I go along and hopefully the resolution comes with a visit to a different dealership.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great advice, I will do this. Will post updates as I go along and hopefully the resolution comes with a visit to a different dealership.
    I must be missing something - exposed gas on a motorcycle. I know we all love our Spyder's but seems to me this is a serious safety/life hazard. Fumes beware.

u might consider video taping, with commentary, who what when where. Under what conditions: weather, road, grade, slope, speeds, time in saddle, etc. Include fill-up before hand. Basically a youtube video blog of your ride.

If you have a CAM on motorcycle or helmet this would be ideal or just mount and use your phone. Maybe start a video blog on your newly created or present youtube channel. There really isn't that many riding Spyder's youtube channels IMHO. Your channel could be about your riding adventures, rides wherever, your Spyder Mods, your love of riding the Spyder etc. and OH by the way today once again we are going to pay special attention and check for any gas fumes leaks.

Just my $.02
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Something I found on a friends of mine side by side is it was get gas fumes and leaking a little gas at the cap I checked the lip of the fill tube it had a Nick in it found out it was the gas can they were useing with the safety spout it had a little hook on it that you put over the lip of the fill tube.then you push down on the gas con to get fuel to flow just that put a Nick in the tube to cause the problem

Spyder Garage

Took the bike to the dealer where I purchased and left it for almost 2 weeks. The only reason I gave them another chance was that they apparently had contacted BRP and were given some things to try. Step one was riding it to try and duplicate the issue but no luck. Then they did a pressure test and a smoke test but could find no issue. Replaced the gas cap again and now I'm to pick it up and continue to monitor. BRP wants a record of when I fill up, where I fill up, when exactly I notice the gas smell after filling up etc... EVEN WANT TO KNOW THE BRAND OF GAS I'M USING... which is always a national brand but at various stations. Seems like the onus is on me to provide them with additional evidence even tho I have already provided 2 sets of pictures showing the gas does somehow escape the tank. While I know these types of issues are the worse to resolve I wish I could get them to start replacing parts. Was told by the service manager that there are 5 major components that could be the culprit and they need to determine which one before authorizing a repair. Will keep you posted on what I find.

Spyder Garage

Do you folks have a Lemon Law up there?
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Since the cap was replaced the 2nd time I have not had an issue. Seems odd that there would be 2 defective caps in a row but can't argue with the results. On my 5th tank of gas since the new cap and so far no problem at all. Will post if it happens again.

Spyder Garage

Since the cap was replaced the 2nd time I have not had an issue. Seems odd that there would be 2 defective caps in a row but can't argue with the results. On my 5th tank of gas since the new cap and so far no problem at all. Will post if it happens again.
    They probably put the same one on and threw out the new one!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue