Spyder Garage

Default Pain Between the Shoulders

Need some input peeps. Have a new LAAM seat that is awesome. Fixed the butt burn. Now I'm getting pain between my shoulder blades. What to do next for corrective action? Order a backrest? Or is it a bar issue? Lamonts handlebar riser? Both? If I do one, which one first? Thanks, Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I have that trouble too when the bars aren't positioned correctly for proper reach. The 2020 bars had me reach too far forward for comfort. I tried several options, but have settled on the Lamonster Garage riser block. It seems to have done the trick.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Either change the handlebar or foot peg position. If you are reaching or leaning forward, try to get more upright.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

From a physical therapist point of view, if the reaching forward is causing you to lean forward, that creates poor posture which creates the pain.

As I was working it thru, I see Grandpot answered it. Whatever you do, I don't recommend back braces like I've seen mentioned before.

Spyder Garage

We like the F3T stock handlebar swap. No more pain! Lamonsters risers look great, I just have not installed them yet. Play around with different combinations until it fits you!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

"Whatever you do, I don't recommend back braces like I've seen mentioned before." Please explain. Do you mean an actual brace or are you talking about a back rest such as an Utopia?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    "Whatever you do, I don't recommend back braces like I've seen mentioned before." Please explain. Do you mean an actual brace or are you talking about a back rest such as an Utopia?
    I wasn't talking about a back rest. But, since you mentioned it; if the back rest is used to slouch, (like my gf does on the couch), that will create problems. I'm just giving you my viewpoint. Whether you ride with an upright posture or slouch because you feel comfortable, or you wear a back brace, doesn't matter to me. JMO.

I get the feeling you are going to ask me why no back brace. This is Tango's thread, so I'll stop.

Spyder Garage

On my 2020 RTL, I first changed my handlebars to the F3 short reach bars. Too close for me! Then, I installed the stock F3 bars. That was OK but still a little too close. Lastly, I installed the F3 long reach bars. So far, that's the best. I also have the BRP backrest.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem. Got risers and setback handlebars which put me in a more upright position. Not a 100% cure for really long rides. But a huge help.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    But, since you mentioned it; if the back rest is used to slouch, (like my gf does on the couch), that will create problems. I'm just giving you my viewpoint.
    When I bought a replacement foam cushion for my Goldwing seat over ten years ago the guy said that if the seat is the right shape you don't need a backrest. In fact, if you need a backrest that indicates the seat is not properly designed for you. I can't remember who the maker was but I think he was in Seattle area.

I can attest to incorrect handlebar position causing pain. I currently am having to deal with a pain in my left forearm because when the dealer replaced the steering column last fall they didn't get the handlebar square with the bike travel. The left grip is about 1 1/2" closer to the mirror than is the right one.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I highly recommend getting a set of HeliBars.
    They're not cheap, but infinitely adjustable and should correct the cause of your shoulder pain.
    A drivers' back rest would also be helpful.
    Do both if you can.
    If you have to pick only one, go for the HeliBars.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

It figures. I went to order Lamont's riser, set back. Out of stock! Hopefully it won't be long to get one. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Tom, get a set of F3T bars, and I’ll put them on in Deland! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

My F3 Short reach bar came in today at my dealership. About an hour of labor and after skinned the back of my hand they were installed. Oh I forgot to mention a 12 oz Miller Light also . The hardest part of the job was getting enough cable pulled out to accommodate the longer bars this is when the skinned hand took place !! I just finished taking a short ride and I think this will be the trick for me. I have a backrest ordered and it will ship today from Can Am and with that I think I might be in Heaven. I took del of this 2020 rtl about 800 miles ago and I have been in pain every darn mile on it. Really I think Can Am missed the mark with these stock bars. I am sure they fit someone no doubt but even tall riders I have talked to don't care for them. I have an very short arm reach and try as hard as I did I couldn't get comfy. Oh I also want to give thanks to many owners here and on Youtube who I followed that came before me doing this. They made it so easy thanks to all.short bars 2020 rt spyder.jpgorignal & short reach F3 bar.jpg
    Last edited by Doug44; 08-11-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add photo

Spyder Garage

The very first thing I would do is get the bike laser aligned if it has not been done. This will benefit your riding more than you can imagine. Joe (cptjam) did mine a few years ago and it eliminated stress I was having in my neck and upper back. It was explained that when the bike is misaligned, even a little, that I was always correcting my line of travel. I didn't even know it was happening. You should be able to ride down a reasonable road using just two fingers. If you can't because the bike wants to wander, chances are you need an alignment correction..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The very first thing I would do is get the bike laser aligned if it has not been done. This will benefit your riding more than you can imagine. Joe (cptjam) did mine a few years ago and it eliminated stress I was having in my neck and upper back. It was explained that when the bike is misaligned, even a little, that I was always correcting my line of travel. I didn't even know it was happening. You should be able to ride down a reasonable road using just two fingers. If you can't because the bike wants to wander, chances are you need an alignment correction..... Jim
    No Doubt what you are saying and mine was done (laser aligned) at 500 mi. I watched our mechanic do it and the left wheel was perfect and the right was within spec. He did change the right one but this is a completely different topic than fitting handlebars. Again I am completely on board with what you are saying but this is not the fix for a man like me with extremely short reach.

Spyder Garage

Tango: If you have to reach forward to grip the bars, perhaps you need a closer bar that will let you sit straight. This is what I did, and the used F3T that I bought recently already had a Lamonster back rest on it. It is smaller than the Utopia, but very soft and easy on the back. In the past I had used Utopia on a couple of RT's and they were fine, but I have never had the comfort the Lamonster back rest provides. Being able to lean back without having to stretch my arms has made a world of difference for my comfort.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Tom, get a set of F3T bars, and I’ll put them on in Deland! Joe
    Is that the F3 short reach bar? I had a F3L with short reach bar and it was great. Will I also need a new F3 clamp as well? Should I also order Lamont's riser? Tom

Spyder Garage

I believe the Lamonster riser with the original 2020 RT bars is about the same riding position as the stock F3 bars, not the short reach version. I tried the short reach bars and didn't like it. It put the bars too close and at a weird angle because of the locating pin.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Remember, there's no comparison when the F3 bars are on the 2020 RT. If you look, the distance from the front tip of the seat to the yoke is 14" on the RT and 20" on the F3.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk