Spyder Garage

Default Lights for mirror housings, 2020 RTL

For some reason, probably cost, Can Am deleted the forward facing marker and turn signal lights from the mirror housings on the 2020 model. Whats really interesting is that the Australian version of this bike still has these lights. My guess is that it's a legal requirement there. In the interest of safety by being seen, I wanted something to go there, but didn't like the current LED strip lights being offered. I actually talked to BRP about getting the lights and found out that I would have to get a dealer to order everything as parts. It would have come to over $800 to get the Australian mirror housings, light lenses, light housings and wiring. After looking at a lot of options, I used these small LED's from Custom Dynamics. They are white when running. When either the turn signal is on, or the 4-way flashers are on, the white goes off and they become amber. An additional benefit to being more visible, is that they are very bright when white and light up the sides of the road to help spot suicidal critters!

white lights.jpg amber on.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Was considering the "Australian" solution to provide more visible turn signal lights on my 2020 RTL, but this idea looks real good!
    Would you have the link to the Custom Dynamics product?
    Many thanks.
    2023 900 Sport , Nitro Blue

Spyder Garage

Very nice ! Very nice indeed !!

Any details on exactly what you bought ??
    Also, if you could, please post a photo of what they look like when all the lights are off.

Did I say that your installation was very very nice !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Link or part number? plug & play? Don't see them on the website.

Spyder Garage

Very nice, great idea.
    2020 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

These are from Custom Dynamics. They are called LED Boltz. Available in either the black trim that I used, or polished metal. When they are off, they have a yellow circle visible where the led's are. I'll post of photo of them off later today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Very nice ! Very nice indeed !!

Any details on exactly what you bought ??
    Also, if you could, please post a photo of what they look like when all the lights are off.

Did I say that your installation was very very nice !
    Here's with the lights off. https://www.customdynamics.com/custo...tz-amber-white
    lights off.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found them on the CD website and notice that, as usual, Custom Dynamics is REALLY proud of their products.

My question is: the price is "per pair". Do you have three "pairs" installed or is one "pair" a group of three LEDs?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I found them on the CD website and notice that, as usual, Custom Dynamics is REALLY proud of their products.

My question is: the price is "per pair". Do you have three "pairs" installed or is one "pair" a group of three LEDs?

Well PAIR = 2 ..... each piece has 3 LED's .... I think you want one pair ..... Erase all doubt by calling or e-mailing them for clarification .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Very nice install looks great ,good job .

Spyder Garage

I bought 3 pairs and 2 of the modules for turn signal use. I've used their products before. They are very high quality, and carry a lifetime warranty on the led's.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well PAIR = 2 ..... each piece has 3 LED's .... I think you want one pair ..... Erase all doubt by calling or e-mailing them for clarification .....jmho .... Mike
    Well, I was trying to erase all doubt by asking the guy who bought and installed them.
    Fortunately, he has answered my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I bought 3 pairs and 2 of the modules for turn signal use. I've used their products before. They are very high quality, and carry a lifetime warranty on the led's.
    Thanks for clarifying that you have three pairs. Yes, I agree on the quality of their stuff. This is one of the times that you do get what you pay for. I have some of their Dynamic Ringz as front turn signals on my 40-year-old Suzuki. Many would cringe at the thought of paying that much for what is essentially a turn signal bullb, but I appreciate both the custom factor and that IT WORKS.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

For those of you that want to install these, my advice is to use a step drill bit after making a small pilot hole where you want each light. Since I needed to drill 6 holes, I first made a template out of mylar so I could match my pattern on each mirror housing. You will eventually be drilling to a final diameter of 1/2". Drill from the front first, and then you will probably have to drill out from the rear one step also. My step-bit left a small ridge that wasn't 1/2", and rather than risk oversizing the front of the hole, I just cleaned it up from the inside of the housing. One interesting thing is that my right side mirror housing was molded in black plastic and the left side was white plastic!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    ..... One interesting thing is that my right side mirror housing was molded in black plastic and the left side was white plastic!
    Verrrry Innnterrresting, isn't it?!? I wonder if it's like that on all of them, or just your batch?? Or maybe if that's so they can readily identify each on the production line?! It really wouldn't be good to get 'em mixed up, would it??!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

So, where did you grab the electrical connection? Is there a harness near the mirrors for the Ozzie version that goes unused, or did you have to wire it from somewhere else?
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Nice, if I still lived in the Denver, NC area I would definitely come down to Lake Wylie to get guidance/advice on your upgrades. I now have a 2020 RTL, sold my 2012 RT. I know this is not the subject matter but did you install your windshield vent? If so, can you tell me where to find the kit? Thanks.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    So, where did you grab the electrical connection? Is there a harness near the mirrors for the Ozzie version that goes unused, or did you have to wire it from somewhere else?
    There is no wiring harness there for it; I made a harness and tapped into the harness that came with my Spyderpops front fender lights. I used a 3 pin automotive connector to provide a disconnect point at each housing. To be honest I didn't price out the Australian harness part number. That might be the better way to go for someone that isn't comfortable, or doesn't have the supplies, to make a harness, or hasn't already added the additional fender lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogWalton View Post
    Nice, if I still lived in the Denver, NC area I would definitely come down to Lake Wylie to get guidance/advice on your upgrades. I now have a 2020 RTL, sold my 2012 RT. I know this is not the subject matter but did you install your windshield vent? If so, can you tell me where to find the kit? Thanks.......
    That is the Can Am Adjustable Vented Windshield part number 219400360