Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RT Fog Lamps not lit Headlights work fine

So, I come to the well again, for help with this temperamental femme fatale.
    I despise electrical problems... as much or more than mechanical problems.
    I'm a computer guy not an electrician or mechanic.

2011 RT: I think these are fog lamps - not designed to be on all the time.
    canam1.jpg

They don't light - not when the headlamp switch is on high or low... not when I hit any of the rocker switches on the console panel.
    I will admit to removing the Frunk when I was digging into trying to get to the airbox and the coolant reservoir, but I promise I tried to reconnect all the wires before I put the Frunk back on the bike. Full disclosure, I'm not completely sure the fog lamps ever worked, because I never used them on purpose.

So I started to explore the possibility that there is a fuse problem.

I downloaded a repair manual - so I'd have one - but admittedly, it covers 2008-2012 CanAm Spyder GS RS and perhaps not the RT.

Looking through the repair manual I see these
    Canam4.JPG
    Canam5.JPG
    But they don't really cover the fog lamps (if that is indeed what they are)
    The closest match would be MF7 (headlights)... so no match there.
    canam2.jpg
    There is no problem with the headlights. They work fine.

So, on to the fuses in the Frunk:
    Canam6.JPG
    Canam7.jpg
    canam3.jpg
    According to the "book", F12 is for the Fog Light Relay.
    OK. Where is F12? According to the label, F12 is on the bottom right hand side of the fuse box - but f12 is labeled EVAP Cap, Fuel Motor, Prestarting relay... Not fog lamps. In fact, none of the labels on the cover mention fog lamps at all.
    So, before I pull and examine every flipping fuse, which one should I focus on for those lights? If in fact they are fog lamps.
    Secondly, which switch or control, turns those lights off and on - are they supposed to be on with the low/high beams?
    Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. I promise if I had any, I'd share it with you all.
    The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time... James Taylor
    Don't close your eyes... This is your life. Are you who you want to be? Jon Forman

2011 Red Can Am Spyder RT new to me 0719
    Baja Ron Sway Bar and Links 0820
    Cup holder - Ram Mount for phone/Go Pro 1119
    Spyder Pops foam grips 0720
    Beaded seat cover 0720
    Trailer hitch and wiring harness 0719
    Bump Skid 0820
    USB Port 0720
    Batter Tender cable 0719
    Magic Mirrors 0819
    Odessy Gel Battery 0719
    Frunk latch mod 0320
    Trunk iPOD cable and 1/8 TRS 0719
    2011 RT , Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Bob, you can't troubleshoot an RT with an RS shop manual. Just saying.

Ok then, front fuse box. On the RT, the fog lights come off of fuse F8, via Load Shedding Relay R5. The fuse and relay feed many things. The relays are those square black things.

Quick Check - does your horn work? If it does, then F8 is good. Start the motor and turn your heated front grips on HI. If they get hot after a few minutes then the relay is good....as well as F8. If both check good, better go back and revisit that wiring, and of course, they could both be burned out. The fog lights are operated by the rocker switch on the far right. The motor has to be running. There are no other relays or fuses between the rocker switch and the lights.

Seems like you need an Owners Manual. The fuse designations for your RT are in the back section. You can download one here. Just use the dropdown menu in the upper left to select Roadster and the year.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well Bob, you can't troubleshoot an RT with an RS shop manual. Just saying.

Ok then, front fuse box. On the RT, the fog lights come off of fuse F8, via Load Shedding Relay R5. The fuse and relay feed many things. The relays are those square black things.

Quick Check - does your horn work? If it does, then F8 is good. Start the motor and turn your heated front grips on HI. If they get hot after a few minutes then the relay is good....as well as F8. If both check good, better go back and revisit that wiring, and of course, they could both be burned out. The fog lights are operated by the rocker switch on the far right. The motor has to be running. There are no other relays or fuses between the rocker switch and the lights.

Seems like you need an Owners Manual. The fuse designations for your RT are in the back section. You can download one here. Just use the dropdown menu in the upper left to select Roadster and the year.
    Thanks Snowbelt. I REALLY appreciate the quick reply. You are correct, as I was flipping the switches on the Console, the engine was not on... So I will definitely start it and test hit that rocker on the far right. But I have to ask, I've looked all over on the Main Menu on this site on the main page
    Capture.jpg
    for a link to the owners manual, and just can't fine it.
    What am I missing?
    Don't close your eyes... This is your life. Are you who you want to be? Jon Forman

Beaded seat cover 0720
    Bump Skid 0820
    USB Port 0720
    Batter Tender cable 0719
    Magic Mirrors 0819
    Odessy Gel Battery 0719
    Frunk latch mod 0320
    Trunk iPOD cable and 1/8 TRS 0719
    2011 RT , Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My fault. I forgot to hit Paste. Sorry for the wild goose chase. Go here....

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...5-364b37bf685b

But just to cover all the bases, you should have a fuzzy, cloth liner in your frunk, I believe. Unzip the back panel of the liner. Behind there, down towards the bottom, was the stowage location of the hard copy manual. See if yours is still there.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doug!! Very handy
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Awesome! Thanks. I unzipped and looked - no manual. But I've got this one now! Thanks!
    2011 RT , Red

Spyder Garage

Tried the rocker switch with the engine on and low and behold I got lights. You guys save me a lotta hassle. Thank you thank you again snowbelt

Beaded seat cover 0720
    Bump Skid 0820
    USB Port 0720
    Batter Tender cable 0719
    Magic Mirrors 0819
    Odessy Gel Battery 0719
    Frunk latch mod 0320