Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trying to buy a Ryker... no one wants to sell me one?

Hello!

Been a long time since I have posted on here... had an RS-S back in 2012 that I got at central florida powersports and then sold it in north carolina when I moved.
    Was off motorcycles for a few years as I got settled and moved then got back on a 2 wheeler but... even with all my years on 2 wheels after having owned a spider I just cant find a good solid reason not to be on a spyder.
    To me a spider offers all the fun and none of the negatives so that brings me to my title.

I want to get a ryker but man it has been hell trying to get a dealer to sell me one!?
    "what do you mean? dealers sell bikes?"
    I have contacted 4 dealers to price and talk about a ryker 900ace and I kid you not I just cant get one to call me back? I started with 4 different dealers on wed:

Dealer 1: "I don't have any built... call me back in a few days and Ill see if I have one built"

Dealer 2: I have a trade they made one initial offer on trade and price on their bike. I said ok can we work on the numbers a little their response was "nope thats it" I asked so no wiggle room at all ? no rebates (there is a 750 rebate right now) they said nope that's it so ok bye bye

Dealer 3: "we have 6 900ace on the floor right now!" great heres what I got and my financing ready to go lets work a deal.. "ok awesome sir well call you back and get things going" they never called back all day wed. I call them thursday hey did you forget about me? "oh no I got you sir I am with a customer right now let me call you back in a few minutes" that was 11:45 thursday... and never heard back. I call Friday around 11:30 "oh yeah sorry I talked to manager and we are working up deal right now , give me a few and I will get back to you" ..... never heard back. Called saturday!!! hey man I never heard back, I am trying to buy a ryker, I have financing ready, I will be putting a little down you have 6 I am trying to buy one!!! "oh yeah I got you im just working the deal when are you wanting to purchase" 3 days ago! "ok cool let me finalize this Ill get back to ya" Never got back to me.

Dealer 4: Does not have any 900ace only rally edition or 600 said hes trying to locate one. He did call back said he couldn't get one from other dealers cause there not letting them go.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a dealer? I am in banner elk North Carolina..... trying to buy a ryker? This seems crazy to me with all my other purchases of bikes I find what I want and go looking and usually the dealer is calling back and working things to try and sell but with this recent experience its like I am trying to sell the dealer on selling me a bike hahaha its madness!

Oh wow my old pic is still showing below memories !

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 900 last year they were selling as fast as they could get them in and put them together. They would not budge on price or work any kind of a deal whatsoever. If I was doing it all over i would find a very low mileage used bike maybe even one with a few extras and go that route there have been plenty used ones around.

Spyder Garage

Interesting scenarios. I guess the bad economic times are over and all is well with the dealers. Most interesting the dealer that promised to call back over four times.

Sounds like a game they play with everyone to make you want to jump on the first deal they give you.

Be careful in all cases here. My vibes say "run Forrest, run."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have found that dealers of any kind arent very accommodating over the phone because a vast majority of phone calls dont lead to people in the doors.

Spyder Garage

There is a huge shortage in Indiana too. There are some listed on Cycle Trader and iMotorsports claims to have some in stock with rebates (free shipping to anywhere in the continental US). Check both sources.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for replies...

The one dealer that keeps not calling back for 4 days and says he's working on a deal has 6 900ace on the floor??
    I understand lots of times they shrug phone calls but that does not really make sense to me as all dealers are at least an hour and a half from me and I explain that and tell them I am trying to get most of the "leg work" done before I ride in..... financing done and some cash in hand... basically im an easy sale.

I mean when I got the bike I am on I did everything on the phone they were accommodating and quick to help... like they wanted to sell a bike. I got it all done showed up signed paperwork rode home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hell I am still waiting for a quote on glass block windows for 2 months now. Guess its the way the times are now. If you dont call me back I will always find someone else to buy from.

Plenty of other dealers out there willing to take your money.

Spyder Garage

fire up the two wheeler and start kicking tail, and shop!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might check out Schronce in Taylorsville. They're pretty short of most Spyders right now (only 1 non-Ryker) but they still had 2 or 3 Rykers when I was down there last about 2 weeks ago. No idea why flavors they were, though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    You might check out Schronce in Taylorsville. They're pretty short of most Spyders right now (only 1 non-Ryker) but they still had 2 or 3 Rykers when I was down there last about 2 weeks ago. No idea why flavors they were, though.
    Yeah they don't have any.... well as of 2 days ago

Spyder Garage

Have you tried motorsports?

https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post

Hmmm interesting looking through it now thank you!

Spyder Garage

If you need service or repairs down the road, can you imagine how you might be treated by a dealer who won't even respond timely when you're trying to buy from them.....? IMO you have described dealers who have very poor business plans and management. They would not be on MY call back list. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I think that the problem is that one out of every 25 or 30 phone customers actually show up to do a deal. Most of the time when they say that they will be there, they dont show. The way I've been buying bikes over the last twenty years is checking their website, calling to see if they actually have it in stock, then going down and making the deal. I find that when I walk in and check out the product, then say to them, if the price is right, I'll buy it today, they suddenly become very attentive and willing to negotiate. As a matter of fact, the last three bikes that I've purchased, I purchased from the same dealer because they were so attentive and willing to negotiate, including the 2020 Ryker Rally three weeks ago.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    .... I find that when I walk in and check out the product, then say to them, if the price is right, I'll buy it today, they suddenly become very attentive and willing to negotiate. As a matter of fact, the last three bikes that I've purchased, I purchased from the same dealer because they were so attentive and willing to negotiate, including the 2020 Ryker Rally three weeks ago.

Agreed. Being there in person makes a world of difference. I purchased a Honda Grom last December. Asked the salesman if I could put it all on my credit card (almost $4000). He gave me the usual reply about how it cost him money. I told him if he would do it, I would take it off his hands right now. He came back in a few minutes and said the manager said OK. I left with it an hour later (paperwork and servicing)! So I think you will get a lot more attention by going there and talking to them in person. Most I would ask on the phone is if they have one in stock and assembled. I had to travel an hour and a half to the dealer when I purchased my Rally. Good luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2020 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I found my Ryker 900 ACE used, online at a dealer. The price was right, the mileage was low, so I thought what the heck. But before I even called them, I sent an email to BRP with the VIN number and asked them how much time, if any, was still on the original warranty. I've read one to many horror stories on here where the dealer is less then accurate on some aspects of a sale. By the time you discover that, it's too late.

Reason is I wanted to make sure I could still apply for the extended BEST warranty, but you can only get it while the original warranty is still in effect. I got a reply back from BRP telling me the original warranty would expire the middle of the following month (July) so I knew I could still get in.

So if you're going to buy one used from a private party do the background work yourself, don't depend on anyone to do it for you.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

You might find that the dealer who wouldn't budge on the price on the phone may react to cash in hand differently. If there is more demand than supply, it isn't unreasonable to expect to pay sticker. (What was crazy was Del Amo Motorsports telling me there was a $3,000 extra charge when I saw them at the Can-Am Ryker event. Sticker seems fair, especially if they have what you want.

Also, they may be able to do more for you in extras than in a discount, since they probably only pay 50%. if you want something else, see if you can get a great deal on that as part of the larger deal. You can even ask what they have to sweeten it, rather than lower the price, as there often things they can do at little cost to them that may be of a high value to you.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I decided when the new M8 Harley came out that I'd buy one. Going to a local dealership and test riding a bike. I told the dealer find me a Blue one and I'll Buy It. About 8 weeks go by and nothing. So I drove back to the dealer and spoke to him, "Yea, I remember you! I'll Call you when we get something"! (Last I heard from them.) About the same from the Local Spyder dealer. Went and talked to him, spent about 30 minutes got prices on a couple Spyders and Nothing. No calls, email or anything. I honestly do not understand it. Absolutely Poor in my opinion.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post

Yep, these are the guys to deal with. They put me on my 2016 F3T with a quickness. Service and delivery was top notch. No problem getting my local dealership to service it. That is where they make their money anyway.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Several very important rules for success, always negotiate in person. always call the dealer to verify if the model that you want is in stock, don't try to talk money over the phone and money talks BS walks when negotiating. You need to develop a relationship with your dealer.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    Hello!

Been a long time since I have posted on here... had an RS-S back in 2012 that I got at central florida powersports and then sold it in north carolina when I moved.
    Was off motorcycles for a few years as I got settled and moved then got back on a 2 wheeler but... even with all my years on 2 wheels after having owned a spider I just cant find a good solid reason not to be on a spyder.
    To me a spider offers all the fun and none of the negatives so that brings me to my title.

I want to get a ryker but man it has been hell trying to get a dealer to sell me one!?
    "what do you mean? dealers sell bikes?"
    I have contacted 4 dealers to price and talk about a ryker 900ace and I kid you not I just cant get one to call me back? I started with 4 different dealers on wed:

Dealer 1: "I don't have any built... call me back in a few days and Ill see if I have one built"

Dealer 2: I have a trade they made one initial offer on trade and price on their bike. I said ok can we work on the numbers a little their response was "nope thats it" I asked so no wiggle room at all ? no rebates (there is a 750 rebate right now) they said nope that's it so ok bye bye

Dealer 3: "we have 6 900ace on the floor right now!" great heres what I got and my financing ready to go lets work a deal.. "ok awesome sir well call you back and get things going" they never called back all day wed. I call them thursday hey did you forget about me? "oh no I got you sir I am with a customer right now let me call you back in a few minutes" that was 11:45 thursday... and never heard back. I call Friday around 11:30 "oh yeah sorry I talked to manager and we are working up deal right now , give me a few and I will get back to you" ..... never heard back. Called saturday!!! hey man I never heard back, I am trying to buy a ryker, I have financing ready, I will be putting a little down you have 6 I am trying to buy one!!! "oh yeah I got you im just working the deal when are you wanting to purchase" 3 days ago! "ok cool let me finalize this Ill get back to ya" Never got back to me.

Dealer 4: Does not have any 900ace only rally edition or 600 said hes trying to locate one. He did call back said he couldn't get one from other dealers cause there not letting them go.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a dealer? I am in banner elk North Carolina..... trying to buy a ryker? This seems crazy to me with all my other purchases of bikes I find what I want and go looking and usually the dealer is calling back and working things to try and sell but with this recent experience its like I am trying to sell the dealer on selling me a bike hahaha its madness!

Oh wow my old pic is still showing below memories !
    Alcoa Good Times in Alcoa, TN has them on the showroom floor. They have had some in stock since the Ryker first came out. Right now they have 2 or 3 900's. It's a couple of hours drive for you but if you really want one you can have it today via Good Times.

Spyder Garage

Hello again all!

Thank you for all the help and advice I really appreciate it.
    I picked up my Ryker saturday and I am a spyderlover again!!

Been several years but I forgot how much more I enjoy spyders than my 2 wheelers.... this Ryker is a joy to ride!

Again thank you for the help and advice and if anyone's looking to ride in NC hit me up!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    Hello again all!

Thank you for all the help and advice I really appreciate it.
    I picked up my Ryker saturday and I am a spyderlover again!!

Been several years but I forgot how much more I enjoy spyders than my 2 wheelers.... this Ryker is a joy to ride!

Again thank you for the help and advice and if anyone's looking to ride in NC hit me up!
    So where did you get it ??????? ...................Mike ..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah after all that we need to know!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Yeah after all that we need to know!
    oh lol so sorry thought I mentioned it...

mtn motorsports greenville TN